The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:58 pm It's not hard to work out why there is more sympathy directed at a European country like Ukraine that has gone from 70+ years of peace to a war zone, whereas the Middle East has been a war zone since beyond the Ottoman Empire.

It's easy to conflate the two and blame racism, mainly due to reducing a problem to a false simplicity by ignoring complicating factors
I don't necessarily think it is racism, and it is perfectly understandable as people in Ukraine are more 'identifiable' to most people here - plus of course the media coverage and narrative of Putin the bogeyman and Russian flexing their power
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Collison Theory wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:54 pm While racism undoubtedly has an effect (I'll admit personally seeing white people who look like me in war conditions grabs my attention more than seeing brown people), I think the biggest difference is the messaging. While huge amounts of media and politicians were hostile to the Syrians, very few have been hostile to Ukrainians. This is doubly effective, as very few people like to think that they're influenced by the media, and even fewer like to think they are influenced by politicians.
I can't recall huge amounts of either the media or politicians being hostile to Syrian refugees.........
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:12 pm I don't necessarily think it is racism, and it is perfectly understandable as people in Ukraine are more 'identifiable' to most people here - plus of course the media coverage and narrative of Putin the bogeyman and Russian flexing their power
But isn't that racism? Not as in hating people of a certain race, but in feeling differently towards people due to their ethnicity?

Instead of being in denial of these instincts, we should be conscious of them. I think unconscious bias training is generally a pretty unpopular idea, but I believe in it, because it accepts our tribal instincts and the negative side to them. Whereas most peoples reaction to any suggestion they have any sort of underlying prejudice is very defensive- "how dare you I'm not a bigot, those people are evil, I'm a good person, I believe in equality".

I agree that it's understandable that we see Ukrainians as more "identifiable", as I said, I felt the same thing. The important thing is to not let that feeling turn into supporting racist policy decisions, but to step back and think rationally about the situation.
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:14 pm But, for myself: people who need and deserve our help may not be getting it in the way they should because other less-deserving people are taking a disproportionate share. We have finite resources as a country and we need to assign those resources with the greatest efficacy.
The idea that immigration is a problem seems to be a fairly recent one, and is mostly centred in Europe. To be honest, I think it's a bit of a myth based more on a cultural wariness about foreigners than anything in economics. Countries like the US have traditionally seen immigrants as a boon for their economy. At every point in the rise of the US's massive economy, immigration levels have been huge. Currently, the two countries with the current highest levels of immigration, Singapore (30% foreign born) and Australia (25% foreign born) have far healthier economies than the UK and higher standards of living. On the other hand, Japan, which refuses to take immigrants for cultural reasons, has been economically stagnating for 30 years.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Industrial polluted Poison flowing through most of our rivers.
Inflation at 10%
Food prices out of control.
Electrical and Gas companies making Billions, yet our bills are going up and up.
Nurses on strike.
DR's on strike
Firemen on Strike.
Train workers on Strike,
Postal workers on Strike.
Boris Johnson lied to Parliiment, the Queen and got caught having parties during covid.
Sunaks wife was non dom to avoid tax implications.
Baroness Mone - who is at the centre of controversy over her alleged links to a firm awarded £200m of PPE contracts - has pocketed between £30 and £45 MILLION of taxpayers money for faulty and bad quality PPE. And she's gone AWOL.

And people are worried about people coming over here on rubber boats?

Get as angry with the government as you are on immigrants. In fact, get more angry.

Our enemies are not those in rubber boats, they are those in Luxury jets.
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

But apart from all that Indy, everything's alright, yeah :cried:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:17 pm Probably like the rest of us...apathetic?
Spot on TTS. :newthumb:
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Dimension Diver wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:20 am The idea that immigration is a problem seems to be a fairly recent one, and is mostly centred in Europe. To be honest, I think it's a bit of a myth based more on a cultural wariness about foreigners than anything in economics. Countries like the US have traditionally seen immigrants as a boon for their economy. At every point in the rise of the US's massive economy, immigration levels have been huge. Currently, the two countries with the current highest levels of immigration, Singapore (30% foreign born) and Australia (25% foreign born) have far healthier economies than the UK and higher standards of living. On the other hand, Japan, which refuses to take immigrants for cultural reasons, has been economically stagnating for 30 years.
That's working on the assumption that immigration is being done correctly as opposed to the cake and arse lunacy we're seeing currently being enacted over here........
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

BBC?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Dimension Diver wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:20 am The idea that immigration is a problem seems to be a fairly recent one, and is mostly centred in Europe.
What do the aborigines and native Americans have to say about that? How have they done?

"Yeah but, look at the GDP"
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Collison Theory wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:54 pm I agree that it's understandable that we see Ukrainians as more "identifiable",
Stick a Russian and a Ukrainian in a room and most wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It’s down to the media and how people are made to look. Just look to see how differently the Russians were portrayed during and then after the war (WWII that is).
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Collison Theory wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:54 pm But isn't that racism? Not as in hating people of a certain race, but in feeling differently towards people due to their ethnicity?
Only if you're white
Dimension Diver

delbert wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:52 am That's working on the assumption that immigration is being done correctly as opposed to the cake and arse lunacy we're seeing currently being enacted over here........
Completely agree, but that's a whole other debate.
Dimension Diver

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:50 am What do the aborigines and native Americans have to say about that? How have they done?

"Yeah but, look at the GDP"
Not to mention the Welsh.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Gentlemen

I appreciate there has been some overlap in the wake of the Lineker thing but we have a thread dedicated to migrants crossing the channel. Here it is, look:

viewtopic.php?t=178451

If we can't restrict our conversation here to the British Broadcasting Corporation, I'll have to lock it up.

Please guys, let's stay on-topic.

Thank-you!

:kumbnew:
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

So anyway. The BBC, eh? I see they've changed the Cbeebies logo and stings this morning, for the first time in over twenty years. The lefty/righty bastards (delete as appropriate)!
FROM
TO
Kentish Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Kentish Hammer »

Typical, making an issue of white letters being imprinted like a neck press on a black background.

Only joking. Back to the BBC.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

last.caress wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:01 am
FROM
TO
I would have thought that for some visually impaired this is not a good thing? tone and balance seem too similar.

EDIT: the other thing is how much woudl that have costed the BBC (us)? FFS, you'd think they'd have better things to spend their, sorry our money on.
Last edited by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The spirit of David Gold is still with us and has joined the BBC