The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:28 am I have no idea the politics of the Director-General has today ...

We can have a good guess. Davie got rid of The Daily Mash, part of his quest to as he said "find a better balance of satirical targets rather than constantly aiming jokes at the Tories". The Sun hailed that as Davie's first victory in his "war against woke lefties". He's playing to his political masters here and showing his allegiances - he never denied that The Sun was right with that quote above.

For what it's worth, I agree with the concept of more balance when it comes to satire. Trouble is a) there doesn't appear to be too much of a market for right-wing satirists and b) Johnson's mob are a satirist's delight so toning it down would take 90% of any potential satirist's best material away.

If anyone needs indisputable evidence that clearly the government have put it's own supporters, and in this case a donor into high positions in the Beeb then here's its new chair ...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/ ... -far-worse
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Etonhammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:35 am
There is a lot of talk of the BBC's 'worth' but i find this strange and the fact that you need to pay (with threat of inprisonment if you don't) to watch ANY live TV regardless of the BBC providing it or not is just wrong.
Does anyone actually know anyone who has been prosecuted for non payment of TV license?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Do you mean the Mash Report Dave? I think it was canceled because it was about as funny as a burning orphanage and viewing figures we sub 1 million despite being in a prime time slot on BBC2.

Let's face it BBC Comedy in the modern era is nothing short of horrific.

Whoever commissioned Mrs. Browns Boys or Not Going Out should never work in TV again. The rest of the comedy output is cheap and cheerful panel shows which are equally as unfunny.

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 pm
Whoever commissioned Mrs. Browns Boys or Not Going Out should never work in TV again. The rest of the comedy output is cheap and cheerful panel shows which are equally as unfunny.
There's definitely that, but then there has always been stuff like 'Birds of a Feather' and 'Last of the Summer Wine' and other broad stuff for the masses to watch - but at the same time there has always been stuff like that opposite the likes of fools and horses and the office etc.

In the last few years I think comedies like People Just Do Nothing, This Country, Toast, The Outlaws, Fleabag and Inside Number 9 all stand up to any other comedies that are being produced right now. Also, funny you mentioned 'Not going out', because Lee Mack was in a fantastic sitcom called Semi-detached on BBC 2 last year that no-one I've spoken to has heard of, but I loved. Give it a go, you might like it.

That's the thing about the BBC. You can talk generally about the lack of sport, and about Strictly Come Dancing and everything else, but that ignores all the other stuff they do. Plus, as I've said before - Mrs Brown's Boys makes money for the channel so they can invest in stuff that not everyone likes. Just like Top Gear and DCI Banks and Death in Paradise - I personally think they're all **** to be honest, but plenty of people all over the world adore them.

If it pays for stuff like Line of Duty, or Normal People, or I May Destroy You then I don't care to be honest.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

I listen to more BBC radio than I do watch BBC TV so how do you make radio a subscription service :chin:
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 am Spot on Tenners. If those on the right think that the BBC is anti-government Lord only knows what they think of the likes of Sky. Sky give the government multiple times the kick in that the Beeb have given it in recent years.
Totally agree...BBC and Kussenburg let Johnson tickle their tummies compared to some of the maulings Sky give him.
OFT
Has liked: 2991 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

It's easy to spot the weakening of The BBC across the nation as people use the words 'gotten' and off of(shudders!) and young people when asked who they think Churchill is suggest its a dog on the adverts. That's what happens when people stop watching the Beeb.

Slightly but not completely tongue-in-cheek
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

I am sure the current BBC is very keen to promote Churchills success against facists.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Tenbury wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:51 am No arguement from me on that score, most large organisations are, except that public ones seem to come under more scrutiny.
Rightly so in my opinion, if a private organisation is badly run it goes under, if it's a public one then before more money is thrown at it then it's good and proper that it comes under scrutiny first........
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

delbert wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:46 pm Rightly so in my opinion, if a private organisation is badly run it goes under, if it's a public one then before more money is thrown at it then it's good and proper that it comes under scrutiny first........
Unless it's a big bank.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:16 pm Unless it's a big bank.
HBOS was a tiddly little bank
delbert

Post by delbert »

^ & ^^ Good points.....
sendô

Post by sendô »

Or a private railway franchise that is already getting taxpayer subsidy.
delbert

Post by delbert »

Oh FFS....... :crylol:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

smuts wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:25 pm Totally agree...BBC and Kussenburg let Johnson tickle their tummies compared to some of the maulings Sky give him.
... and right on cue Beth Rigby dismembers Johnson in that interview. :)
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:57 pm Or a private railway franchise that is already getting taxpayer subsidy.
Not exactly a pure private enterprise though is it. A public transport service formerly public run and now under franchise in Joint public / private ownership/ management.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:26 pm ... and right on cue Beth Rigby dismembers Johnson in that interview. :)
It was quite eviscerating & that was just listening to it..
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:16 pm Does anyone actually know anyone who has been prosecuted for non payment of TV license?
https://researchbriefings.files.parliam ... P-8101.pdf
sendô

Post by sendô »

Rays Rock wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:07 am Not exactly a pure private enterprise though is it. A public transport service formerly public run and now under franchise in Joint public / private ownership/ management.
It's a pure private enterprise when it comes to share dividends, and yet a joint public/private ownership scheme when the franchise gets into financial trouble.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 pm Do you mean the Mash Report Dave? I think it was canceled because it was about as funny as a burning orphanage and viewing figures we sub 1 million despite being in a prime time slot on BBC2.

Let's face it BBC Comedy in the modern era is nothing short of horrific.

I thought Not going out was ok for the first couple of series, but after that, particularly the latter one was nothing short of awful.
I never got Mrs Browns boys at all