The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by Coops »

Jo Coburn has just said that they hope inflation will come down to 2.9% by the end of the year, so "prices will come down".
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Coops wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:22 pm Jo Coburn has just said that they hope inflation will come down to 2.9% by the end of the year, so "prices will come down".
Retailers are under no obligation to lower the prices of anything, especially supermarkets and food. It's a similar principle to banks with saver's money. The interest rates can go up and down but you can guarantee that the benefits are never passed onto the consumer, always the banks. Hence why mortgage rates have gone up but savings rates have stagnated below 1%.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Coops wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:22 pm Jo Coburn has just said that they hope inflation will come down to 2.9% by the end of the year, so "prices will come down".
No they won't. They just won't increase as much but increase they certainly will.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

:hammb:
No, thats not how I understand it. Most developed economies are usually in constant inflation so therefore prices slowly increase and adjust inflation over time and therefore so do wages. When an economy goes into higher inflation prices are rising much quicker. However, once inflation settles down to say a normal level of between 2 - 5 % the economy is still inflating. It would take deflation to recognise reduce prices. Wages then adjust over time to catch up. There will be products that will come down naturally due to certain market demands and some that will come down as they were put up artificially thrugh gross profiteering.
However having said all that, the inflation figure is the comparison of cost to items over a 1 year period. So if we have 12 % in say January but by May it’s 5 % technically that 5% is still supposed to be reflective of one year ago. By that calculation for inflation to have raised costs by 12% technically an economy would need to have be at consistently 12% for an entire 12 months, which by the looks of it our economy won’t and will probably result in an average anual increase in costs of around 6 - 8 % hence why it’s important to increase wages at the correct rate and not to the headline top rate that was around 12% which certain unions are asking for.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Friend or Foé wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:06 am :hammb:

No, thats not how I understand it.
:newthumb:
cheers for that. Never realised that's how it works and get calculated across 12 months (never really gave it any thought tbh). Being that's the case it does make me wonder about some of these union demands for 'inflation busting' rises.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Replying to the points above as slighty off topic....

I've been in the public sector 14 years. Last year I had about 5% pay rise. Every year before that bar 2 years at 2% (when inflation was running at 3%) I had either 1% or 0%.

We have been offered 5% again this year.

Once inflation is at 2.9% which the government want I shall be back to 1% pay rises.

As the current retail inflation is more like 17% currently its a constant struggle. Yes unions are asking for much higher pay rises but this is their bargaining position. If they went in with only what they really wanted it would be negotiated down.

Ultimately I have realised my spending power will always get less and less until I hit the minimum wage amount.

I will be retired before then but I can see why some people fed up doing degrees etc and think they may as well take £11.50 an hour at Asda with far less stress.
Last edited by bonzosbeard on Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friend or Foé

Post by Friend or Foé »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:17 am :newthumb:
cheers for that. Never realised that's how it works and get calculated across 12 months (never really gave it any thought tbh). Being that's the case it does make me wonder about some of these union demands for 'inflation busting' rises.
I think what seems to have happened is that the swell in vehicle fuel prices and gas prices has driven up the cost of production and transportation of most product. Those transport fuel costs have come off of their highs that were elevated from last summer. We then saw gas soar which impacted on production cost which has again levelled off at wholesale cost. The lag of all that pushed up product prices. Also added on to all of that was the addition of fuel duty to white diesel for industrial plant use which traditionally was zero duty for off road vehicles. All this at a time when fuel costs were at record highs !! In a sense fuels of varying type were the main factor for inflation even though many had been fearing an inflation long before those fuel rises.
If wages are to be adjusted to account for overall inflation then a figure under 9% and over 6% would probably be correct. 10% to 19% would be a pay rise above inflation.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

I remember at the time people questioning why the Jennifer Arcuri scandal was barely if at all mentioned. That and a few other major news items absent across the beeb, all makes sense now.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... f-pandemic
Friend or Foé

Post by Friend or Foé »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:35 am I remember at the time people questioning why the Jennifer Arcuri scandal was barely if at all mentioned. That and a few other major news items absent across the beeb, all makes sense now.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... f-pandemic
Yet instead of all that, they weren’t more critical of opposition but instead continued to press government as to why we weren’t going in to more lockdowns more quickly etc…
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Friend or Foé wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:03 am Yet instead of all that, they weren’t more critical of opposition but instead continued to press government as to why we weren’t going in to more lockdowns more quickly etc…
Yep, I must have imagined those press conferences with Laura asking why not sooner, deeper, quicker. Then with facemasks, why not sooner, deeper and quicker. Then with furlough, why not sooner, deeper, and quicker, then with business support, then with the vaccines etc. Then when things started to look brighter, why are we still facing restrictions?

But let's be clear about the BBC and reporting restrictions. This wouldn't be the first time they have been asked by the government to temper their reporting. Churchill made the request in 1940 to the BBC and the Printed Press. They all agreed to other than Reuters, which was the genesis of Reuter's rabid impartiality.

Now some will argue - well that was years ago and we were at war. Well 3 years ago parallels were being drawn and we face the biggest restriction of freedoms since 1945.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

He's bang on the money.

The job of the BBC is to fill the gap in provision, not compete with private alternatives.

I know from people who worked there that they became obsessed with competing with Sky under one particular DG - hence the absurd over provision of channels usually filled with dross, News 24 and such like.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

We had someone on here make a similar comment a few weeks back. A little part of me despaired. 🙂
Friend or Foé

Post by Friend or Foé »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:47 am We had someone on here make a similar comment a few weeks back. A little part of me despaired. 🙂
It is a frustrating one seeing as almost every product will have increased due to transport fuel and energy cost hikes driving the large part of this inflation. Now that petrol, heating oil and gas aren’t at peak wholesale prices prices should really come down as product transport and processing should as a result be much cheaper. Unfortunately, now we’ve kind of accepted it as inflation due to the way transportation fuel is included in calculations, those prices will be under no pressure to revert to prices that were previously set with those fuel costs now back to lower levels.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Unless the employees are willing to go back to their old wages , the cost won't fall back to the baseline of 12-18 months ago.

Inflation at a low rate is desirable - hence the 2% target.

Falling prices - deflation - create their own problems.
Larrakeyah Hammer
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Larrakeyah Hammer »

My email reply from the BBC

Standard stuff really

Dear Mr West Ham

Thanks for contacting us about Gary Lineker.

BBC Director-General, Tim Davie, has released a statement regarding Gary’s use of social media. In it, he’s said the following:

“Everyone recognises this has been a difficult period for staff, contributors, presenters and, most importantly, our audiences. I apologise for this. The potential confusion caused by the grey areas of the BBC’s social media guidance that was introduced in 2020 is recognised. I want to get matters resolved and our sport content back on air.

“Impartiality is important to the BBC. It is also important to the public. The BBC has a commitment to impartiality in its Charter and a commitment to freedom of expression. That is a difficult balancing act to get right where people are subject to different contracts and on air positions, and with different audience and social media profiles. The BBC’s social media guidance is designed to help manage these sometimes difficult challenges and I am aware there is a need to ensure that the guidance is up to this task. It should be clear, proportionate, and appropriate.

“Accordingly, we are announcing a review led by an independent expert – reporting to the BBC – on its existing social media guidance, with a particular focus on how it applies to freelancers outside news and current affairs. The BBC and myself are aware that Gary is in favour of such a review.

“Shortly, the BBC will announce who will conduct that review. Whilst this work is undertaken, the BBC’s current social media guidance remains in place.

“Gary is a valued part of the BBC and I know how much the BBC means to Gary, and I look forward to him presenting our coverage this coming weekend.”

Gary himself has also commented on the matter, stating: “I am glad that we have found a way forward. I support this review and look forward to getting back on air.”

We’re aware that some have raised a variety of issues aside from Gary’s social media specifically, and we’re sorry that we’re not able to address all of these matters in our response here. If you’ve raised wider concerns in your complaint, responses to a range of these matters will be posted publicly on our website at the address below, which will be updated in the coming weeks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaint ... complaints

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We recognise the strength of feeling these issues have provoked across our audience. We’d like to reassure you that this has been heard and discussed across all levels of the BBC.

Thanks again and wishing you all the best.

Best wishes

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

Privacy & Cookies

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

What was/is being missed with Linekers tweet is....not so much the freedom of speech thing it's covering ,it's the
how far do we go with "Freedom of Speech" on social media....people are being fined and doing Jailtime for using Social Media
to Abuse people on it.
It's arguably now illegal,I'd go further and say it IS now, to accuse someone of being a NAZI ..A guy received 8 week jail sentence
for calling Anna Soubury (MP) a Nazi...(suspended,but the sentence was jailtime nonetheless)
Lineker has basically called the Tory Party, Nazis' for their setting up of new ILLEGAL immigration laws....So....was that illegal or not..

Freedom of speech, ..Yes all day long...Abusing Individuals or certain groups...NO..
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Lineker ain't been right since he borrowed this book off of Owen Jones:

To make matters worse, he in turn, bought Gary Neville the pop up version........
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

thamesideiron wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:59 pm What was/is being missed with Linekers tweet is....not so much the freedom of speech thing it's covering ,it's the
how far do we go with "Freedom of Speech" on social media....people are being fined and doing Jailtime for using Social Media
to Abuse people on it.
It's arguably now illegal,I'd go further and say it IS now, to accuse someone of being a NAZI ..A guy received 8 week jail sentence
for calling Anna Soubury (MP) a Nazi...(suspended,but the sentence was jailtime nonetheless)
Lineker has basically called the Tory Party, Nazis' for their setting up of new ILLEGAL immigration laws....So....was that illegal or not..

Freedom of speech, ..Yes all day long...Abusing Individuals or certain groups...NO..
There’s clearly a freedom to mis-understand and mis-understand speech.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Mis-understand AND mis-understand?!

Even though the word is misunderstand anyway.

Odd post.