The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1661 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:14 pm I ate the last of the mince pies last night thinking more were arriving this afternoon .

10 miles to the nearest shop and no car .

Now re-watching Harry Potter to cheer myself up . :grin:
I'll be reading your posts in the mental health thread either tomorrow or the day after no doubt..

:crylol:
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

It's the actual BBC that pointed that out. It's holding itself to higher standards. I'd be happy enough if other news outlets did the same thing. Its not perfect but at least its got some sense of integrity. And yeah I'm aware that it's after the fact. It sometimes gets it wrong but at least there's a process for highlighting where it's got it wrong.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

I think they acknowledged it because people complained. Not quite the same thing.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Yes, the important questions of our time. :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

This man gets paid to ask these questions.

Plus he gets expenses and the mortgage on his second home paid for him.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Great to see him bringing out the classics so early in the New Year. Enjoyed Newsnight's response last time he rolled that idea out....

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Brilliant. :lol:
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

DDA, thank you for sharing that!!

Why doesn’t he just write a letter to the Recorder and be done with it?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Het-Field wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:59 pm DDA, thank you for sharing that!!
Echoed, superb DDA :crossed: :newthumb:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Het-Field wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:44 pm Yes, the important questions of our time. :lol:
My mum and dad came over here in the 50s from Ireland and I always remember when my mum would tell me about the first time they went to the cinema in England. They always played the national anthem at the end of the film here and as a mark of respect, as they knew what would happen to people in Ireland who didn't stand for the national anthem (and I don't mean Ghost Town by The Specials either) they stood up, only to be barged out of the way by the people sitting in their row in their rush to get to the pub before they called last orders. My mum was absolutely shocked and she'd often tell me this story whenever the national anthem was played on TV, incredulous that people would be so disrespectful.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:49 pm My mum and dad came over here in the 50s from Ireland and I always remember when my mum would tell me about the first time they went to the cinema in England. They always played the national anthem at the end of the film here and as a mark of respect, as they knew what would happen to people in Ireland who didn't stand for the national anthem (and I don't mean Ghost Town by The Specials either) they stood up, only to be barged out of the way by the people sitting in their row in their rush to get to the pub before they called last orders. My mum was absolutely shocked and she'd often tell me this story whenever the national anthem was played on TV, incredulous that people would be so disrespectful.
They did that scene in 'Dad's Army' once.
Mr Mainwaring ended up with his glasses askew, as often happened.. :crylol:
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

:tune: Didn't the BBC once ban that classic?
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

666 hammer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:14 am :tune: Didn't the BBC once ban that classic?
No. There was a warning issued ahead of the the film version when it appeared on BBC last year. They advised "May contain discriminatory language which some may find offensive". Specifically the phrase "fuzzy wuzzy" from what I can gather.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

666 hammer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:14 am :tune: Didn't the BBC once ban that classic?
The song I believe received a total ban on radio airplay by the BBC - and Woolworths refused to stock it.

Edit: apologies - I thought you were talking about the Sex Pistols song!
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

There was an episode featuring the IRA that after its initial broadcast & repeat, was rarely shown again.

'In comparison to more frequent re-runs of other episodes in the series, after an initial repeat in 1971, the episode was not screened again until November 1992, and then not again until May 2012. It has been speculated that the presence of the IRA suspect is the reason for this.'
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by James P »

sendô wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:53 pm This man gets paid to ask these questions.

Plus he gets expenses and the mortgage on his second home paid for him.
Now that we have blue passports he obviously needed to find the next first world problem to get passionate about. So glad he has a reason to get out of bed again.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Dorries: BBC licence fee announcement will be the last
Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries has said the next announcement about the BBC licence fee will be the last - and it was time to discuss new ways to fund and sell "great British content".

She said "the days of the elderly being threatened with prison sentences and bailiffs knocking on doors" were over.

Her comments come as unconfirmed reports say the government is expected to freeze the £159 fee for two years.

A BBC source said there had been similar speculation before.

The licence fee's existence is guaranteed until at least 31 December 2027 by the BBC's royal charter, which sets out the broadcaster's funding and purpose.

more...
Looks like they might have to do a few more pro Boris stories.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

This licence fee debate is doing my head in to be honest. If people don't want to pay it, then don't pay it. You know what the rules are if you don't pay them, just like you know what the rules are if you don't pay road tax. There are plenty of options to get your fix of entertainment out there without live TV so crack on with it.

Let everyone else who wants to pay it carry on and, while we're at it, we'll pay for a host of national and local radio stations for you, one of the most visited websites in the world, the maintenance of the Freeview network, disability & other niche programming that the commercial broadcasters don't bother with as it isn't profit making....