Central Heating 23/24 Season

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Re: Central Heating 20/21 Season

Post by rigoberts song »

Another consignment of pallets to chainsaw up for the logburner today.About to light it should be snug until bedtime.
Central heating thermostat on zero and its staying there all winter only use it for the hot water in the bath and shower.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Got an issue with my CH thermostat. Had it before when we had British Gas cover & the guy replaced it in 5-10 minutes. Trouble was I didn't really watch what he was doing (just replacing the old dial for a new one). Reckon I could diy it?
Jennings, you're usually good at nearly killing yourself with doing stuff like this. Worth a try?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Samba wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:06 am Got an issue with my CH thermostat. Had it before when we had British Gas cover & the guy replaced it in 5-10 minutes. Trouble was I didn't really watch what he was doing (just replacing the old dial for a new one). Reckon I could diy it?
Jennings, you're usually good at nearly killing yourself with doing stuff like this. Worth a try?
Yeh, if it's a standard wall thermostat then it's a doddle.
What's the current make and model and I take it that it's hard wired to the wall somewhere?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

When your missus complains of the cold offer to warm here up in the traditional manner.

She'll either accept your offer or stop complaining it's cold.

it's a win win.

Endure, gentlemen, endure.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:10 am When your missus complains of the cold offer to warm here up in the traditional manner.
Our lawn doesn't need mowing in the winter.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

↑↑↑↑ Dreadful advice. In the cold weather there's shrinkage, Pinky. Significant shrinkage! If she calls your bluff, she'll find that "King Kong" has been replaced by "Tiny Tim" and she'll then warm herself up by laughing openly at you for the next sixteen hours straight.
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

Samba wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:06 am Got an issue with my CH thermostat. Had it before when we had British Gas cover & the guy replaced it in 5-10 minutes. Trouble was I didn't really watch what he was doing (just replacing the old dial for a new one). Reckon I could diy it?
I’ll do it for you.

I haven’t had a proper accident for a few months now so it could be a win-win. 🤷‍♂️
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:10 am When your missus complains of the cold offer to warm here up in the traditional manner.

it's a win win.

I’ll do it for you.

I haven’t had a proper accident for a few months now so it could be a win-win. 🤷‍♂️
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by daytimedave »

electric blanket is on ready for the 1st time since last winter ... love it :starst:
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

it's a win win.

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:22 pm I’ll do it for you.

You’re wasted on here Monkeybubbles 😂

I Want Out? How to Leave the Boring Job You Don’t Like and Start Your Comedy Career

https://www.vulture.com/article/how-to- ... omedy.html
Samba

Post by Samba »

mushy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:08 am Yeh, if it's a standard wall thermostat then it's a doddle.
What's the current make and model and I take it that it's hard wired to the wall somewhere?
This is the exact one, mushy. Mine's the right way up though... & yes, it's wired on the wall.
Apparently it's a 'british gas-3wire electronic thermostat WS4'.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Not bad, got to 17th Nov until we put the heating on

Tbh could have just shoved the air cons on for an hour but we decided we haven't used the heating in months so it would double up as a test to make sure it works

However I noticed hive have made the boost period default shorter to 45 mins from 1 hour

Wonder if that's a simple update to save people money during the energy crisis
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Highs of 9 degrees forecast here for the next week or so (dropping down to 6 on Monday & Tuesday). That coupled with rain means the heating is going on to dry washing.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Mumbles may have found a way to stop the other half turning the heating on; having the thermostat on its side.

Go one further and white spirit the numbers off and replacing them with ones 5 degrees higher!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:23 pm Mumbles may have found a way to stop the other half turning the heating on; having the thermostat on its side.

Go one further and white spirit the numbers off and replacing them with ones 5 degrees higher!
My wife gets very hot. Regularly walks round just in a bra when it's just the kids in the house .. prob why we have 3 aha

So if she cold then hell has frozen over
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:05 pm My wife gets very hot. Regularly walks round just in a bra when it's just the kids in the house .. prob why we have 3 aha

So if she cold then hell has frozen over
:shock: What like literally, just the bra...?

You knows the rules, pictures or it didn't happen. :winker:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:44 am :shock: What like literally, just the bra...?

You knows the rules, pictures or it didn't happen. :winker:
Lol well shorts on bottom to cover the modesty

It's sometimes tempting to put the heating on just to see what she will do next lol 😉
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Samba wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:46 am This is the exact one, mushy. Mine's the right way up though... & yes, it's wired on the wall.
Sorry Samba, I missed this. It's a straight swap but remember you are messing with live wires here so the juice needs to be off or isolated.
Did you get it done in the end?
Samba

Post by Samba »

mushy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:20 pm Sorry Samba, I missed this. It's a straight swap but remember you are messing with live wires here so the juice needs to be off or isolated.
Did you get it done in the end?
No mate, not yet.
I'll try & explain the issue. Some temp settings, it fires up fine. Other temp settings, it 'clicks on' but doesn't fire up, or it clicks on, fires up for 5/10 seconds, then clicks off again, like it doesn't know what it wants to do. VERY FRUSTRATING.
I remember it doing it last winter & to stop it, I dialled it up a bit higher than I wanted it to be. It seemed to solve it but obviously meant I was using more gas than what I needed to do. Not a 'fix' that I want to do again this year...
I know we had this problem before & had it changed. I think it fixed it & am presuming that's all it needs again.
I wonder is it quite a common problem with these cheapo type of thermostats?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Is it not a two piece unit?
A wall plate that the wiring is attached to and a control unit that clips on.
Might be able to get away with swapping the dial out if so.