NFL For Dummies

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Re: NFL For Dummies

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:24 pm DeShawn Watson to the Browns.

230Mill GUARANTEED !!!!!!!!

biggest guaranteed ever.

:shocker: :shocker: :shocker:
Absolute madness. I mean seriously. I've seen him play on TV and he's decent, but $90 million more than Mahomes?????

Plus with all the baggage he has.

Sometimes I just don't understand sport at all.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:30 pm Absolute madness. I mean seriously. I've seen him play on TV and he's decent, but $90 million more than Mahomes?????

Plus with all the baggage he has.

Sometimes I just don't understand sport at all.
What's not to understand? It's the opiate for the masses, and as long as the masses keep shelling out most of their paychecks to watch these sports, it'll keep on going forever.
Bend it like Repka

WCpete wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:10 pm What's not to understand? It's the opiate for the masses, and as long as the masses keep shelling out most of their paychecks to watch these sports, it'll keep on going forever.
Well yeah, supply and demand. Ultimately if The Browns finally win something I suppose most won't care, but you really are scraping the moral barrell with this one.

Plus he's not in the Top 5 QBs, yet he gets more than them with all that **** over his head. Very surprising the Browns would see this as a good deal.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:30 pm Well yeah, supply and demand. Ultimately if The Browns finally win something I suppose most won't care, but you really are scraping the moral barrell with this one.

Plus he's not in the Top 5 QBs, yet he gets more than them with all that **** over his head. Very surprising the Browns would see this as a good deal.
excluding the baggage that comes with him, the NFL and NBA are probably the most forgiving of American sports.

Ray Lewis "murdered a bloke or was at least complicit." however, he had time to go home, change his clothes and claim he had no clue what went on. testafied against his "co defendants who never got convicted of TWO murders.

Kobe Bryant was accused of rape and sexual assualt, got killed in a helicopter crash and is now revered.

Ben Rothlesberger was accused twice of sexual assault.

Michael Vick did time for a dog fighting ring that made Zouma kitty cat case look like, well nothing.

DeShawn Watson will settle out of court, and/or the NFL will suspend him for 6 games and it will all go away if the Browns win a SB.

you can google all the above and see how being rich and famous AND being able to be a top sports player will make almost anything go away.

however, the last season Watson (I think it was his last playing season) would have won the MVP if his team wasn't the shyttiest team in the league. think we were 4-12.

his numbers were a actually better or as good as the top QB's for percentages, interception to td ratio etc. and believe me I am gutted (purely from the footballing aspect) that he left the franchise.

we've waited so long for a great qb got one, and then when they said he would be involved in selecting the new manager, wasn't and so he opted never to play for them again. and he hasn't. think he got about 10M plus not to take a snap last year because the NFL didn't suspend him. so he was on the payroll, was included on the 53 man roster but "inactive" every Sunday so still got paid.

and the NFL top brass didn't do a bloody thing. they're as inept as the UN. and that's pretty bad

their commissioner gets paid about 40M per just to rubber stamp what the owners want.

think the PL oversight committees are bad ? they are almost as angelic in comparison.

here's a breakdown of one of the owners.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/irsay ... 26737d099a

Critics say the NFL's lenience with Irsay exposes a double standard by a league that prides itself for one of the toughest drug policies in sports. Numerous players have been caught and punished under the rules, including former Colt Shawn King and Julius Peppers, the second pick in the 2002 draft.

"He who holds the gold tends to make the rules, so the owners are holding themselves above everybody else in this enterprise," said Jim Litke, a national sports columnist for the Associated Press.

ask WC Pete if this is pretty much the truth. there's much more if you want to research it.

big sports generate big money.

every Thursday in season the team HAVE to list the players availability as to whether they will/might play. why ?

gambling and the odds makers in Vegas. they are listed as unavailable, probable, possible, etc .etc. etc. makes an awful lot of difference if for example Brady might not play against the opposition. and heaven forbid they make a misstatement. in the covid times they HAD to name which players were on the unable to perform list. as there's another list that if you stick a player on injured reserve, depending on which one, he HAS to miss x number of games. he can't go from injured reserve to playing in 3 days.

but the NFL "abhors" gambling.

another reason why Vegas was denied sports franchises for so long. didn't want players of a professional sports team "mixing with the wrong crowd."

as if the wrong crowd only lives in Vegas.

:angryred:
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Great post Cuenca :thup:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Exactly Cuenca. Additionally, the shuffling of talent that happens every off season that ensures that a team's lineup is completely different every season makes it so hard for me to care. You root for a shirt now, not for the players, and even that changes too frequently.

Here's another one.

Bend it like Repka

Wow that's anther shock. The Hill, Mahomes, Kelce axis is the Chiefs offense.

Seems another case of a player taking money over success because I can't see Hill winning any rings at the Dolphins
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:20 am Wow that's anther shock. The Hill, Mahomes, Kelce axis is the Chiefs offense.

Seems another case of a player taking money over success because I can't see Hill winning any rings at the Dolphins
Yup I agree. Aint winning **** in Miami!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

on a personal level, I'm bloody glad he's gone.

he torched the Texans EVERY time we played them.

brilliant player.

more chance of winning a ring in Kansas City as you lads have said than in Miami.

they do have a pretty decent team down there though but I'm not sure the qb is the answer.

could have had Watson but opted out, and I think he did too when Flores got fired.

I can't believe we interviewed all of those people and ended up ...hiring Lovie Smith who was already there. another caretaker maybe until we start reaping in the draft picks. but by then most of the skill players will be too old.

re-cycle as usual in 'ouston

:cried: :cried: :cried:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:50 pm on a personal level, I'm bloody glad he's gone.

he torched the Texans EVERY time we played them.

brilliant player.

more chance of winning a ring in Kansas City as you lads have said than in Miami.

they do have a pretty decent team down there though but I'm not sure the qb is the answer.

could have had Watson but opted out, and I think he did too when Flores got fired.

I can't believe we interviewed all of those people and ended up ...hiring Lovie Smith who was already there. another caretaker maybe until we start reaping in the draft picks. but by then most of the skill players will be too old.

re-cycle as usual in 'ouston
off tangent but the Oilers was such a better name than Texans. The logo/crest whatever you want to call it was better too. As you were :)
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Texans are the 2nd NFL team to use the name. In the early 50's there was the Dallas Texans, who coincidentally had the same uniform as the Chief's do now, but rather than an arrowhead on the helmet, they had this:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

shame our dogshit owner did the dirty on us.

spend xM dollars to upgrade the ****hole that was the AstroDome and we'll stay.

they did and he didn't

still not sure how our mascot got to be Toro The Bull...

:chin:

running the team certainly hasn't changed much since Brown, Eggy and GSB were in charge...oh wait..

:crylol:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Brady to the Dolphins?????
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:39 pm Brady to the Dolphins?????
can't find a link to that, but he's under contract for another year in Tampa and I would find it VERY hard to believe that the Bucs would trade him to Miami, but stranger things of course have happened.
Bend it like Repka

I've been watching the NFL for years now, but the whole trade - free agency - franchise tag still is a little lost on me.

Some of the moves this off season are huge, and strange choices. Clubs taking players who seem too expensive, clubs taking players who have baggage, clubs taking players that really may not be the answer.

It's a funny world the NFL.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:23 am I've been watching the NFL for years now, but the whole trade - free agency - franchise tag still is a little lost on me.

Some of the moves this off season are huge, and strange choices. Clubs taking players who seem too expensive, clubs taking players who have baggage, clubs taking players that really may not be the answer.

It's a funny world the NFL.
Taking OBJ was a gamble but one that worked out for the Rams :coolas:

He's nothing compared to the whole Deshaun Watson situation though. That's nuts.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:39 pm Brady to the Dolphins?????
Eh?!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It is only recently that 'trades' have become so common in the NFL. Back in the 80s and 90s if you played for a franchise then typically you were there for your career, or until you were released

It seems to have become like football last couple of years with big name transfers between franchises. I am not sure I like it but, of course, it is good for the NFL brand as it keeps interest high in the off-season
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:42 pm It is only recently that 'trades' have become so common in the NFL. Back in the 80s and 90s if you played for a franchise then typically you were there for your career, or until you were released

It seems to have become like football last couple of years with big name transfers between franchises. I am not sure I like it but, of course, it is good for the NFL brand as it keeps interest high in the off-season

did a quick google and this appears

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/n ... cy-in-1993

Free agency has turned into the NFL’s Wheel of Fortune, an offseason quick fix that shakes up rosters, enriches players and beguiles fans. Hard to believe that when it was first proposed, owners opposed it.

That was in the early 1990s, with owners and players deadlocked on the issue.

But in late February of 1993 Judge David Doty approved a settlement between the NFL and NFLPA on Reggie White’s class-action lawsuit concerning free agency – ending what NFLPA lawyer Jim Quinn said was a 20-year struggle over free agency and some form of revenue sharing.

The settlement also included details like franchise and transition designations, the reduction of the draft from 12 to seven rounds and rules on tampering.

“I am pleased,” Quinn said then. “I think the settlement was a fair one.”

He was right. The players got what they wanted. Eventually, so did the owners.

Thus began a new era in NFL history, the Salary Cap/Free Agency era that annually sees hundreds of millions of dollars awarded to players. But the movement wasn’t without its hiccups … and its challenges.

Just four days after the 1993 settlement, for instance, linebacker Wilbur Marshall filed a motion objecting to being tagged a franchise player. Marshall believed he had a right to negotiate with teams other than Washington.

But he wasn’t alone. The lawyer for defensive end Leslie O’Neal told the media that he was planning a similar lawsuit (Marshall and O’Neal were two of the ten players designated franchise players under the new settlement).

The next challenge occurred on March 4, four days into the new free-agency era of 1993. Tackle Gerald Perry signed a three-year, $3-million deal with Al Davis’ Raiders, becoming the first player to switch teams in the “new era.”

Or so it seemed.

But Rams’ executive VP John Shaw told the NFL and media that he had a “handshake deal” with Perry and that “various sources, including Perry,” told him the Raiders courted Perry before the March 1 free-agency period. Essentially, he accused the Raiders of tampering.

But his charge didn’t stick.

A few hours after Perry signed with the Raiders, offensive lineman Don Maggs signed with the Broncos after seven seasons with the Houston Oilers. On the same day, quarterback Phil Simms re-signed with the Giants, choosing not to test the waters of free agency.

Over the next two days the Packers would sign nose tackle Bill Maas, and the Rams added tackle Irv Eatman (likely knowing they had zero chance of getting Perry back with any grievance filed against the Raiders). And the beat rolled on, with the Jets signing Ronnie Lott and defensive lineman Leonard Marshall, both aging vets.

Over the first 23 days only 23 players changed teams, but by April 25 – or nearly two months into the first year of free agency -- 82 had moved locations, including Reggie White, Tim McDonald, Kevin Greene, Hardy Nickerson, Pierce Holt and Jumpy Geathers.

All made significant contributions to their new teams.

But plenty of others did not, due to injuries, age or declining play. They included Maggs (16 games and three starts in two seasons with Denver), Ferrell Edmunds (31 catches and two touchdowns in two seasons after signing with Seattle), Chuck Cecil (15 games and seven starts as the “replacement” for Tim McDonald in Arizona), and Eric Thomas, who was hurt in his second year with Jets.

So there was the good, the bad and the ugly that first year of free agency. But the players got paid. More than that, it was the beginning of a system that was more than fair to players and made owners richer than ever in terms of revenues and franchise values.

It was the proverbial “win-win” and a critical ingredient in growing the NFL. Hard to believe its owners couldn’t envision that nearly three decades ago.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Interesting, and that is only 'free agency' which is players out of contract I believe

Now players seem to get traded whilst still under some form of contract with their current club, with draft picks as the transfer fee