NFL For Dummies

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Re: NFL For Dummies

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Rams dispatching the Chargers. Carrying on where we left off.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

The NFL pre season is so silly.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:51 pm The NFL pre season is so silly.
yep. the Texans I think 4th team players beat the Saints maybe 5th string players

I watched up until the half. a few starters and a few on the fringe of maybe being starters and loads of blokes looking to make a play to get on the practice squad.

still it does at least begin to whet the appetite as training camp news starts coming through.

oh and we probably won our only game of the season.

still it's been a VERY long two seasons since DeShawn decided he was Kylian M'bappe and wanted to influence who coached and who came on board.

in this case though they promised him he could and then reneged. so he downed tools.

but still got paid. how about that ? he actually refused to play, but they had to pay him.

guaranteed contracts and all that.

if he gets suspended this season he "only" loses something like 6M because his signing on fee was so high, his base salary increases NEXT year and it's all guaranteed money.

nice work if you can get it.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:51 pm The NFL pre season is so silly.
It has changed a lot over time. Used to be 6 of them per season!

Players tend to be more in-shape year round, so less of a need for that type of conditioning. But the CBA eliminating two-a-days and placing limitations on practice in general for fear of injury has resulted in teams being less-prepared when the season starts in earnest. Fear of injury has led to less actually playing time for the players who would be featuring in regular season games. But the games do provide an opportunity for UDFA's and fringe players to work their way onto the roster or into greater roles, so there is some utility to them. It's also where most teams determine their special teams personnel. However, it's a tough watch for anyone who isn't a hardcore fan of one the teams on the field.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not denying your hypothesis and I for one watched about half or more (not with 100% attention) but at least for me, and I would think many others, imagining it's the "it's almost proper football time" mentality AND we're also another week closer to NCAA Football which starts sooner.

although to be honest those early games are almost like pre season NFL in that usually the big schools hand out a nice dollar amount to Mother Teresa University For The Blind with a pre season game against Ohio State, Uni of Texas, Alabama etc etc where at the end of the game it's usually 76-0 in favour of the big teams but the others go home and count the cash.

week 0 shows :rofl:

Duquesne at Florida State. (who ?)

week 1

Ball State at Tennessee
Sam Houston at Texas A & M
Uni Albany at Baylor

although to be fair it looks like there's also some good matchups as well

Notre Dame at Ohio State.

personally can't wait for those Saturday afternoons and Saturday night games.

I'll have to get an NCAA thread going soon...
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:28 pm not denying your hypothesis and I for one watched about half or more (not with 100% attention) but at least for me, and I would think many others, imagining it's the "it's almost proper football time" mentality AND we're also another week closer to NCAA Football which starts sooner.

although to be honest those early games are almost like pre season NFL in that usually the big schools hand out a nice dollar amount to Mother Teresa University For The Blind with a pre season game against Ohio State, Uni of Texas, Alabama etc etc where at the end of the game it's usually 76-0 in favour of the big teams but the others go home and count the cash.

week 0 shows :rofl:

Duquesne at Florida State. (who ?)
Duquesne (pronounced "dew-cane") is a lovely little school in Pittsburgh. Decent at basketball and have had maybe a handful of players make it to the NFL but couldn't name any examples off the top of my head. These blowouts are just tune-ups for the big boys and money-makers for the cannon fodder. Every once and awhile you get something like the Appalachian State upset of Michigan that becomes legendary, but those are few and far between.

I've already watched some CFL games, so that's where my head has been at getting ready for the real thing. :smiler:
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

ND v OSU is a heavyweight game right out of the trap. Doff my cap to them for jumping into the deep end from the onset. Georgia has Oregon too, although I would expect Georgia to win that at home without too much trouble.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WCpete wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:46 pm ND v OSU is a heavyweight game right out of the trap. Doff my cap to them for jumping into the deep end from the onset. Georgia has Oregon too, although I would expect Georgia to win that at home without too much trouble.
yeah Pete, we normally have to wait 3 or 4 weeks (conference schedules) before we get a really good watch.

I love the college stuff and personally can't wait. I enjoy their pregame stuff too, it's like a 10 hour build up !!!!

:crylol:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

We having a KUMB league this year??
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:26 pm yeah Pete, we normally have to wait 3 or 4 weeks (conference schedules) before we get a really good watch.

I love the college stuff and personally can't wait. I enjoy their pregame stuff too, it's like a 10 hour build up !!!!

:crylol:
All the big schools have elaborate pre and post game festivities. Although I'm a neutral, I've always enjoyed the Ohio State band's pregame ritual, assembling in the "Shoe" hours before the game, marching in formation to an indoor arena (with an elaborate entrance to that building), for a long pep rally before marching in formation back to the stadium, serenade the fans with a singalong of "I wanna go back", reassemble and perform the same ramp entrance that they've been doing for almost 100 years followed by the legendary "Script Ohio" that was first introduced in the 50s. It's all both cringey and compelling at the same time...

Pre-game march from the stadium
Skull session entrance
Back to the stadium
I wanna go back
Ramp and Script Ohio
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

a bit (okay a LOT) hokey but the USC band doing Tusk is brilliant imvho

but you're correct, the work that these bands put into the pre game and half time shows are fantastic.

:newthumb:

oh and this just came into my mind having seen it before I can't remember where.

if you cannot shed a tear over this....

bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Yeah, that one is fantastic.

This one should be considered PC as FSU has an agreement with the Seminole tribe that they're cool with it. And yeah, this is where the chop originated:

Daniel1895
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Daniel1895 »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:24 pm All the big schools have elaborate pre and post game festivities. Although I'm a neutral, I've always enjoyed the Ohio State band's pregame ritual, assembling in the "Shoe" hours before the game, marching in formation to an indoor arena (with an elaborate entrance to that building), for a long pep rally before marching in formation back to the stadium, serenade the fans with a singalong of "I wanna go back", reassemble and perform the same ramp entrance that they've been doing for almost 100 years followed by the legendary "Script Ohio" that was first introduced in the 50s. It's all both cringey and compelling at the same time...

Pre-game march from the stadium
Skull session entrance
Back to the stadium
I wanna go back
Ramp and Script Ohio
Some of those look quite North Korean...
Somehow, Americans yet seem to have a soft spot for communism.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I’ve signed up again for a Fantasy NFL Draft league this season and have absolutely no idea on tactics. Last year I thought picking a couple of decent QBs would be the way forward but managed to pick up the wooden spoon!

Any tips on tactics - who/what positions should I focus on drafting … RB/WRs ….???? Cheers in advance!
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:56 pm We having a KUMB league this year??
I’m up for doing the pig skin pick ‘em up again if I get enough interest.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Browns QB Deshaun Watson Suspended 11 Games, Will Return Week 13 vs. Texans

https://www.battleredblog.com/2022/8/18 ... suspension

According to sources, the NFL and NFLPA are close to a deal that will suspend Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson for 11 games and fine him $5 million after violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

that's just like "Jesse Lingard's first match upon return from suspension will be against West Ham."

we just know how that script's going to go.........

:furrow:
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:48 am I’m up for doing the pig skin pick ‘em up again if I get enough interest.
I'd be up for that, especially it' vs. the spread.

Could also do a knockout league, picking one game per week. Can only pick a team as a winner once.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

About 20 years ago I joined a knockout league that my Dad and his retiree buddies in Florida were in. It was run by a local judge. That year so many people got in, and re-upped when they'd knocked out that the pot got to $90K by Superbowl time. Don't remember how many people were left in the pool by the SB, but I know it was single digits and we were both among them. My Dad and and I agreed to choose a team each and split the pot. A few days before the game, a dude who had recently got fired by the judge, who was very bitter about it and who knew about the pool narked on him and the whole thing got shut down. :angryred:
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1120 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

pablo jaye wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:05 am I’ve signed up again for a Fantasy NFL Draft league this season and have absolutely no idea on tactics. Last year I thought picking a couple of decent QBs would be the way forward but managed to pick up the wooden spoon!

Any tips on tactics - who/what positions should I focus on drafting … RB/WRs ….???? Cheers in advance!
Pick RB’s early and W/R’s late as receivers are much deeper. Completely ignore defence and kicker until the end as the difference in value is negligible.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Nice game to open the season with tonight. I would imagine many would call this a super bowl preview.

Bills at Rams