NFL For Dummies

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Re: NFL For Dummies

Post by Loftyhammer »

Nasty....hope he recovers ok! Already some noise in the Twittersphere that it's down to COVID vaccine :asleep:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Loftyhammer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:34 am Nasty....hope he recovers ok! Already some noise in the Twittersphere that it's down to COVID vaccine :asleep:
Usual clap trap trotted out by the tin foil wearers. We don't even know if he's had them anyway.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:01 pm Usual clap trap trotted out by the tin foil wearers. We don't even know if he's had them anyway.
You don't need to have one, others have, so it is in the air and spreads via breathing...[if Covid vaccine does get you 5G will]

attempt at sarcasm - just is case.

Seems to be a cardiac arrest and one of those freak incidents, he got good care and hopefully will make a full recovery.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Sounds like this whole episode has been a mirror image of the Christian Erickson Euros scare, and tbh I think Damar is fortunate to have had this cardiac arrest during the game. He was in a building filled with top notch medical personnel, a medical facility and an ambulance. If he had had the heart attack at home then quite possibly he doesn't survive the night. He's still in critical condition and not out of the woods yet. Keep fighting Damar. Side note, just saw that his toy drive charity raised $1 million overnight. :shock:

EDIT: The NFL just announced that the game will not resume this week. They don't know when or if the game will resume at a later date.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

WCpete wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:37 pm
EDIT: The NFL just announced that the game will not resume this week. They don't know when or if the game will resume at a later date.
If it doesn’t resume what would happen? Call it a draw?
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I don't think they know yet. Bengals were ahead, so I can't imagine they'd be happy with any decision that doesn't involve them either being in the lead or winning.

Passionate rant about NFL pensions, guaranteed salaries and disability from a local sports show host.

Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Not sure any of his rant is relevant to be honest. Men are not ‘dying every week’. From what I can make out, Hamlin has made nearly $2m from his 2 seasons in the NFL. A cardiac arrest could happen to anyone in any profession, some people have a lot less protection than a professional sports player.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

He’s being passionately hyperbolic in the moment, to be sure. I don’t think the kernel of what he’s ranting about is irrelevant though. Most of the players aren’t big earners, and the fact is that the league doesn’t do a great job of taking care of the people who generate their wealth, or at least add greatly to it.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:36 am If it doesn’t resume what would happen? Call it a draw?
Taken from the NYT. They’re going to use Covid rules

“ With the game’s cancellation, the Bills (12-3) and Bengals (11-4) will each have played one fewer game than the other teams in the N.F.L. The league’s 32 clubs will meet on Friday to consider a proposal with two adjustments to the A.F.C. playoffs that were recommended by N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell and approved by the competition committee.

When the N.F.L. played the 2020 season in the first year of the coronavirus pandemic, clubs understood there was a possibility that some games could be canceled and they might have to accept uneven standings because of the unique circumstances. That did not happen, because the N.F.L. played a complete schedule that season. But this is a concept teams have contemplated before, and one they are almost certain to go along with, given the gravity of this week’s events.”
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

There is a rule on the books that when games are cancelled, playoff seeding should be based on winning %. The proposal being voted on is a deviation from the policy:

The NFL’s owners will vote on Friday regarding the specific protocol for playing postseason games among the various AFC teams based on the cancellation of the Week 17 game between the Bills and Bengals.

Some have expressed curiosity and confusion as to why the owners must be involved in the process. The answer is simple. The proposed solution — including the possibility of a neutral-site AFC Championship and a coin flip to determine the location of a potential wild-card game between the Ravens and Bengals (if the Ravens beat the Bengals on Sunday) violates the plain terms of the NFL’s Policy Manual for Member Clubs, Game Operations 2022 Edition.

Here’s the relevant language, from page A78, under the category of “Emergencies and Unfair Acts” and the specific rule entitled “Competitive Policy for Cancelled Games”: “If a game is cancelled, a team’s standing in its division or in its conference (e.g., qualification as a Wild Card in the playoffs or position in playoff seeding) shall be determined on the basis of its final record. When necessary, playoff tiebreakers shall be calculated according to per game average for all teams.”

There’s nothing about neutral sites or coin flips. Seeding is based on winning percentage, period.

That’s why the owners are involved. They’re changing the rules on the fly, during the 2022 NFL season.

That’s their prerogative. But the NFL in the past has been loathe to change the rules during a given season. In this case, for all the discussion and haggling and brainstorming and whatever, the previously determined answer was hiding in plain sight. Fair or not, the NFL had developed a procedure that applies following the cancellation of games.

And, yes, this is a rare and unusual occurrence. But what cancellation of a regular-season game wouldn’t be the result of a rare and unusual occurrence?

Tomorrow, the owners will consider changing that policy. It will be fair for some of them to ask, “Why?”

Also, given that the proposed approach represents a deviation from current rules, the owners will be required to approve the revision via a 24-vote supermajority. The NFL has confirmed this.

So, in other words, only nine votes are needed to block it. Tomorrow could be interesting.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Black Monday

Texans fire Lovie Smith
Cardinals fire Kingsbury, and their GM stepping down
Browns fire DC Woods

to add to those who never even made it to the end of the season.

Panthers fired Rhule in October
Broncos fired Hackett in December
Colts fired Reich in November

I think the Raiders bloke is on thin ice too....even after only one year.

expect more "blood letting" so to speak...
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Cuenca, who owns the Texans?
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Again, didn't see the game, but it sounds like the Giants B team did a very decent job against the Eagles. Maybe the Vikings are there for the taking. My uneducated guess for the SB reps are the 49ers and the Bills, although it'll probably end up being the Chiefs.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WCpete wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:16 pm Cuenca, who owns the Texans?
Cal McNair.

his dad and cohorts bought them for around 750M I think it was about 20 years ago. made thier money in the oil business iirc and he passed away about 1 year or so and the son inherited the team.

according to those in the know, he's completely clueless.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/1/9/2 ... -smith-nfl

The Texans are a clown show, and they deserve this mess they’ve created

Firing Lovie Smith is the latest installment in this half-baked pie of ineptitude, making Smith the second Black coach to be fired in two years by the Texans after being hired into an impossible situation and given no time to try and improve the team. Don’t worry though, if you were worried the blame would be equal, of course it’s not — because by all account general manager Nick Caserio who hired both coaches, led the team to a 7-26-1 record, and has been utterly mediocre in the front office is expected to remain. Caserio will given the opportunities his coaches were not, and now he’ll look to hire his third coach in as many years to run his sad, busted organization.

Nobody should be more angry than Texans fans, who have been forced to watch McNair’s nepotism flush this team down the toilet. He hired Jack Easterby to oversee things in 2019, a move based entirely on his personal relationship with McNair, which was based on their shared religion. Easterby left in October of 2022, which was a “mutual decision,” again a benefit that isn’t granted to the team’s coaches. If you’re in McNair’s inner circle you get endless time and patience, and can dictate how you walk away — outside it and there’s absolutely no respect for your work or career.

This isn’t some big secret. Everyone in league circles knows how the Texans operate, and that’s going to make it very difficult to find a decent head coach moving forward.

Make no mistake: The Texans will find a coach, because coaching in the NFL is still the greatest prize for any football coach. However, we’re seeing huge coaching turnover right now, and this is the worst possible time to be the least desirable landing spot. It could lead to Houston doing something monumentally stupid like hiring Josh McCown, which is precisely what they might do.

No team is in need of a new owner more than the Texans. McNair refuses to step aside to let good football people do work, instead of being intensely involved in the process all the way down — and making mistakes as a result.

Texans fans deserve better — but sadly that isn’t going to happen.

they promised Watson that he would be involved in a new hire, he wanted, by all accounts Macenemy from KC but they hired Culley and he downed tools.

the rest is history.

they couldn't even lose yesterday and lost the number 1 pick.

I honestly think that Smith lost their confidence in the first game of the season. he had the chance to go for a 1st on 4th or try a long chance field goal with about I think something like 20 seconds on the clock against the Colts. he elected to punt and actually concede a tie. he said 1st game of the season didn't want to lose. the fans and local radio were up in arms from that point on.

and for a defensive coach, I think we were 32nd in giving up rushing yards. something like close to 200 yards a game.

The running game also exposed the Texans on both sides of the ball. Houston compiled just 59 rushing yards on 23 attempts, while Indianapolis rushed for 196 yards with an average of 5.9 per carry.

I know that Derrick Henry has rushed for more 200 yard games against the Texans than iirc Jim Brown did (or equaled) his entire career.

:crylol:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Weird that they sacked their coach when they started to show some fight the last month. Great win at the death win at the Colts (appreciate they are crap too but still).
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:44 pm Weird that they sacked their coach when they started to show some fight the last month. Great win at the death win at the Colts (appreciate they are crap too but still).
he's a defensive coach who team couldn't, erm..defend....

like I said above, around 200 yards rushing against every game. now I know it's not ALL on him, but they gave him some pretty draft choices.

no #3 overall Derek Stingley CB who according to sources, didn't play up to a 3rd pick, Jalen Pitrie S @ #37 overall who had a really good season. Kenyon Green @ #15
Metchie @ 44, who unfortunately has some kind of cancer, Harris LB @ #75, Pierce @ # 107 who could have been rookie of the year but missed the last 3 or 4 games due to injury.

average 17 points a game opponents 25
yards per pass attempt 6.3
yards per rushing attempt 3.7 (a lot due to being behind a whole load of time)
yards per rush against 5.1
87 yards per game rushing (again being behind a lot in loads of games)
170 yards per game opposition

we've been awful.

now again down to the OC but there were several games in a row I'm pretty sure we got less than FIFTY yards by half time.

one I think we had got a NFL low ever of 32 yards at h-t.

like I said above, I think his card was marked when everyone and his dog had us for winning maybe 4 games this season, in the first game he had the opportunity to go for a win or a least tried a long field goal. he elected to punt essentially guaranteeing a tie.

he never won the fans over from the point on. now again, I understand, fans are more likely to call in after a loss, but I listened to pretty much every post game programme up until about 4 or 5 games to go. I stopped watching, because like hte 'ammers, I got no enjoyment from watching and was wasting 3 plus hours a Sunday getting all worked up about the awfulness of the team.

even with the late season heroics with a couple of close games, they were dreadful. a lot of other close games were over at h-t and the points we scored were against the 3rd string opposition. I'm pretty sure the Miami qb didn't even play from the middle of the 3rd quarter on.

no one in the stands. and at one time, there was something like a 3 plus year wait for a season ticket.

the owners also have to bear a lot of responsibility. giving Bill O'Brien the keys to the kingdom didn't help either.

wait, hapless owners, a coach who tries to play defensive football but isn't succeeding.......can't score for love nor money in the main.....

:chin:

needless to say, loads of truly awful weekends for me since the beginning of both seasons.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Maybe you should bring Joel Osteen in as a share holder. Big influx of cash and the big 'G' on the sidelines every game. Win win for all of Ouston.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WCpete wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:28 pm Maybe you should bring Joel Osteen in as a share holder. Big influx of cash and the big 'G' on the sidelines every game. Win win for all of Ouston.

not like he's short of wedge that's for sure...

and he's not far up the road from the stadium.......and I think he tv networks in about 150 countries too, so it might help with shirt sales !!!!!!!!!

:crylol:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

SB predictions then?

Difficult to look past the usual suspects currently. Buffalo, Bengals, Chiefs. I guess Eagles and 49ers need to be in the conversation. Anybody fancy any of the rest?