NFL For Dummies

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

NFL For Dummies

Post by Denzil »

I am the dummy.

I always say that I am going to start watching it and before I know it Superbowl rolls round and I haven't watched a minute of it. Given the season started again this weekend, I think its as good a time as any.

I'd love to know the basics that could get me through watching and enjoying it enough to know what is going on in each play. I am told it's one of the most tactical games there is which is what interests me most. Any fans on here that can give me some pointers, or point me in the direction of some literature online that gives an overview for noobs like myself?

My team is already chosen. I have only watched one game from start to finish, New Orleans Saints in a bar in New Orleans. Based on that, I am rolling with them.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Re: NFL For Dummies

Post by WCpete »

bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

The driest version

DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Two teams of players compete to see who can inject the most steroids, before giving each other chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Thanks Chaps I’ll give them a watch tomorrow :thup:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Stayed up into the wee hours watching The Saints @ The Raiders in their new home in Las Vegas. First time I've watched an entire NFL match and I loved it.

All the talk before about The Saints going for the Superbowl only for the The Raiders to win and go 2-0.

I can see why there is a lot of hype surrounding this sport.

I'm still a newbie, and still understanding it all but thoroughly enjoying it.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I used to watch loads when I was at university ten years ago, as I had the time.

I haven't watched much since, missing more superbowls than not.

I am thinking of getting back into it and actually follow it properly again. Now all the young ones I watched are either retired or at the end of their career so may take a few years to fully get back into it.

Weirdly, i never really supported or followed a particular team. There were certain individuals that stood out that I would watch if they were playing (Polamalu, Favre, Brady, Larry Fitzgerald, Gronkowski,)

I had a mate who was a massive Cardinals fan but I could never work out how/why.
NT Hammer

Post by NT Hammer »

I quite like watching without fully understanding

at times I've read a dummies guide to understand but then forget.

I think I need a team but could never decide

As a kid in he mid eighties suddenly everyone was a fan all be it very briefly of it seemed Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49'ers and Chicago Bears

I had a brief Dolphins like but then years later thought maybe New England Patriots as it has England in it but they became successful and didn't like that .

I like an underdog and have been leaning towards the Buffalo Bills for the sheer fact no one else would and they lost 4 Superbowls in a row
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:39 am Stayed up into the wee hours watching The Saints @ The Raiders in their new home in Las Vegas. First time I've watched an entire NFL match and I loved it.

All the talk before about The Saints going for the Superbowl only for the The Raiders to win and go 2-0.

I can see why there is a lot of hype surrounding this sport.

I'm still a newbie, and still understanding it all but thoroughly enjoying it.
Very entertaining matchup, two teams with wide open styles and nutters for coaches. Home stadium debut for the Vega$ Raiders. Am sure that place will be bonkers once they can let fans in.

Saints don't travel well and the home dog on Monday night was easy money. :wink:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

NT Hammer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:39 pm I quite like watching without fully understanding

at times I've read a dummies guide to understand but then forget.

I think I need a team but could never decide

As a kid in he mid eighties suddenly everyone was a fan all be it very briefly of it seemed Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49'ers and Chicago Bears

I had a brief Dolphins like but then years later thought maybe New England Patriots as it has England in it but they became successful and didn't like that .

I like an underdog and have been leaning towards the Buffalo Bills for the sheer fact no one else would and they lost 4 Superbowls in a row
Bills are a good choice. Especially since the Patriots are in a transition of sorts. Loyal fans, mostly poor teams, bad weather, good rivalries. As it happens they're pretty good now and have a good chance of winning their division now that the Patriots have been knocked down a few pegs. Still, New England has Belichick as their Coach, and Cam Newton as their new QB, so they'll still be in the running.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Who would be the Manchester United* and who would be the West Ham** of NFL

*have glory hunting "supporters" from all over the shop

**then like my dreams...
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Man Utd for me are the Dallas Cowboys.

West Ham? I don't know, the NY Jets maybe? Big city, crap teams. Only one championship in '69.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Im sticking with The Raiders :thup:
chelmsfordhammer91

What are Kansas like?

My firm's head office is there so will be the most probable team I would actually be able to see live,if at all.
chelmsfordhammer91

Scrap that, just remembered we got taken over by a firm based in Connecticut!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:52 am What are Kansas like?

My firm's head office is there so will be the most probable team I would actually be able to see live,if at all.
They won the Super Bowl last year and their Quarterback, Patrick Mahomes is an awesome player - he can look one way and pass the ball the other way with pinpoint accuracy. I’ve only been watching it again for the last 3/4 years and he is one of the players who caught my eye and is good to watch. Mind you, I still follow the 49ers who I picked back in the 80s when it was shown on C4.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:57 am Scrap that, just remembered we got taken over by a firm based in Connecticut!
If ur choosing based on where ur company is based, Western CT is probably Patriots and Eastern CT either Giants or Jets. Generalizing, but that's more or less true.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

WCpete wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:55 pm Man Utd for me are the Dallas Cowboys.

West Ham? I don't know, the NY Jets maybe? Big city, crap teams. Only one championship in '69.
It's the Browns. We are the West Ham of the NFL.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Bears for me watched with my dad on channel4 in the 80’s , .86 Super Bowl winners like our best league year. The fridge, Payton etc. Started casually watching again a few years ago. I’d love to go to a game at Chicago one day.

LIke us they’ve been pretty much crap ever since.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Mega Ron wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:00 am It's the Browns. We are the West Ham of the NFL.
Nah. Only team in a small city, perpetually crap team. More like Sunderland.