👋 Farewell, Said Benrahma

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Re: ✍ Welcome to West Ham, Said Benrahma

Post by sendô »

GPP wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:01 am Most years the winner of HOTY is head and shoulders above everyone else. Were a bookie to put up odds for it there’s usually a player that would be 1/3 on, minimum.

This year that player is Rice.

The only other two worth mentioning would be Antonio and Bowen.
Antonio has been gash for most of the season. It's only the last month or so that he's actually started turning up. Strangely enough shortly after Ings came in and took his place.

A month's worth of playing well does not qualify someone for HOTY.

I really don't get the hate Benrahma gets from our own fans. He's a quality player who makes things happen, creates chances, interlinks well with everyone, he's our top scorer and he's also someone we can actually rely on to score a penalty.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Billydinho wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:01 pm It really baffles me.

Bowen was f*cking dreadful last night but always gets a free pass.

And I’m a big Bowen fan!
It's because a quiet Bowen is still a goal threat. His game for us is about being that extra striker, and yesterday he was nowhere near his best and still wins the penalty, has chances and had that effort that fizzed by the post and woke us up.

Benrahma is a different type of player, he isn't a final piece player. Bowen is more about the end, Benrahma is about the build.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:45 pm
Benrahma is a different type of player, he isn't a final piece player. Bowen is more about the end, Benrahma is about the build.
This is a very good point about contrasting styles and roles.

I think someone else posted about should we get more similar to Bowen on the left (say Barnes), would we be missing that spark in the build up.

Not saying Benrahma is always effect in doing that, but doesn't mean it's not needed.
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

Was Bowen a goal threat last night? I don’t think so, he was anonymous. Was Benrahma? Yes
GPP
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by GPP »

sendô wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:12 pm
Antonio has been gash for most of the season. It's only the last month or so that he's actually started turning up. Strangely enough shortly after Ings came in and took his place.

A month's worth of playing well does not qualify someone for HOTY.

I really don't get the hate Benrahma gets from our own fans. He's a quality player who makes things happen, creates chances, interlinks well with everyone, he's our top scorer and he's also someone we can actually rely on to score a penalty.
I don’t see any hatred towards Benrahma.

He often doesn’t create chances when he should (usually after excellent individual skill in the build up), and that causes frustration. But no hatred that I have seen.

He’s our top scorer because he takes penalties, and then only in the league. That said, penalty taking in itself is a skill obviously, and one he’s very good at.

The HOTY stuff is moot anyway. It’s Rice by a country mile.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

kentishiron wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:54 pm Was Bowen a goal threat last night? I don’t think so, he was anonymous. Was Benrahma? Yes
Header in the first half, the shot that fizzed just wide before the goal that woke the crowd up, header for the penalty. He had our best moments until we scored.
kentishiron

Post by kentishiron »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:04 pm Header in the first half, the shot that fizzed just wide before the goal that woke the crowd up, header for the penalty. He had our best moments until we scored.
The header that when 5 yards over, and shot that went 5 yards wide? Our best moment before the goal was Benrahmas shot which forced a world class save in the first half 😂 agendas!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

e17 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:10 am Nice to see you were wrong about selling him, eh Pinky!
Not at all, come the summer he's first out the door.

Three times in the 65-80 min slot last night he had his man and simply let him slip away from him, leaving it somebody else to mop up.Better teams that Alkmaar would capitalise.

As for "why does Bowen not get grief", have a look at how much closely Bowen was marked last night compared with Benny.

Of the two, Alkmaar wanted us to feed Benny.

Ask yourself why
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

We can all like both players without choosing sides, just saying :D

Said it many times on here, I'm a big fan of Benny, was delighted for him last night. Funny enough, as a fan and as a supporter of him I didn't fancy him one bit for the pen! Glad I was very wrong.

Benny, Paq now, they get my bum off the seat, yes they frustrate me to f*** at times, but I love watching their lil flashes of brilliance.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

kentishiron wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:08 pm The header that when 5 yards over, and shot that went 5 yards wide? Our best moment before the goal was Benrahmas shot which forced a world class save in the first half 😂 agendas!
Oh jesus mate, grow up. Whilst that shot was excellent, headers from close range are better chances, although it had also slipped from my mind. The efforts going over or wide don't mean they weren't big moments. I'm about to give one a 9/10 and the other a 7/10 in my match report for this site, hope that suits your nonsense.
kentishiron

Post by kentishiron »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:08 pm Not at all, come the summer he's first out the door.

Three times in the 65-80 min slot last night he had his man and simply let him slip away from him, leaving it somebody else to mop up.Better teams that Alkmaar would capitalise.

As for "why does Bowen not get grief", have a look at how much closely Bowen was marked last night compared with Benny.

Ask yourself why
This is hilarious. Did they want us to feed Benrahma because he’s pants, or did we constantly feed Benrahma because he had them on toast all game?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:08 pm

Ask yourself why
I’ll bite, again. So that was good choice then was it? Feed the guy who ended up being MOTM. He had your mate Suguwara on toast. All this how good he is and that Benny has hit work cut out. He absolutely wiped the floor with him.

So yes, I’ll ask why they did that, considering he ended up being the best player on the pitch.

If that is what they did, they got it completely wrong. So I have no idea why you would even use this as an argument.
kentishiron

Post by kentishiron »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:11 pm Oh jesus mate, grow up. Whilst that shot was excellent, headers from close range are better chances, although it had also slipped from my mind. The efforts going over or wide don't mean they weren't big moments. I'm about to give one a 9/10 and the other a 7/10 in my match report for this site, hope that suits your nonsense.
My nonsense? The closest we came to scoring was when Benrahma forced a world class save. What’s wrong with that?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

GPP wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:59 pm He’s our top scorer because he takes penalties, and then only in the league.
1. He took a penalty in the UECL just last night.
2. We went through numerous players attempting to become our new penalty taker post Noble. Benrahma is our current taker because he's one of few who can consistently score them.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

kentishiron wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:12 pm My nonsense? The closest we came to scoring was when Benrahma forced a world class save. What’s wrong with that?
kentishiron wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:08 pm The header that when 5 yards over, and shot that went 5 yards wide? Our best moment before the goal was Benrahmas shot which forced a world class save in the first half 😂 agendas!
The whole part where you were being a childish and argumentative prat online.
il_martello_di_genovesi

sendô wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:13 pm 1. He took a penalty in the UECL just last night.
2. We went through numerous players attempting to become our new penalty taker post Noble. Benrahma is our current taker because he's one of few who can consistently score them.
People don’t seem to appreciate that penalty taking is a skill in it’s own right. The player who scores them ‘only scored a penalty’ yet people go mad when we miss them, because they are a great chance to score. Rice, Antonio and Bowen have missed penalties previously. We have someone who can take them consistently. Look at it as a good thing.
kentishiron

Post by kentishiron »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:16 pm The whole part where you were being a childish and argumentative prat online.
This is the most childish response I’ve seen on here! Good day.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Blimey, he put in a MOTM performance last night and we still have the Benrahma Defense League out in force taking umbrage at every little criticism :crylol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:08 pm Not at all, come the summer he's first out the door.
I respectfully doubt that we are preparing to sell him.

I rather imagine that, instead, we are preparing to offload Fornals, Lanzini and one or two others ahead of him, tbh.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Metal Hammer wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:19 pm Blimey, he put in a MOTM performance last night and we still have the Benrahma Defense League out in force taking umbrage at every little criticism :crylol:
As if you wouldn’t be the first to put the boot in if he had put in a bad one…