👋 Farewell, Said Benrahma

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Re: ✍ Welcome to West Ham, Said Benrahma

Post by funky chicken »

Not his greatest ever performance for us, but a lot better today. Really pleased to see him back in form. With 2 goals now in the last 2 games. Very unlucky not to have scored a belter before his goal today too.

Is the Palace game his last game before we lose him to the ACON?
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

funky chicken wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:35 pm Not his greatest ever performance for us, but a lot better today. Really pleased to see him back in form. With 2 goals now in the last 2 games. Very unlucky not to have scored a belter before his goal today too.

Is the Palace game his last game before we lose him to the ACON?
Yep, plays against Palace and then will miss Leeds & Man United
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Today I learned that he doesn’t track back and that Vlasic is on another level.

:)
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Joint top-scorer across all comps.

Patience pays off from Moyes.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Not sure why people keep comparing him to Vlasic. They’re completely different and used for different means.

Benrahma is more skilful and the type of player that can create something from nothing.

Vlasic is more power and direct dribbling.

I like them both and there is potential for both of them in the starting 11.
YeOldHammer
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by YeOldHammer »

He is the level of player for our club that we can expect, wholly inconsistent that he will not reach a higher level beyond West Ham, but when he does get it right he is more than a handful for teams. If he was anymore consistent in his ability he would be picking up suitors higher up the chain.
Remembering times gone past, I appreciate that we now have wingers who are prepared to cover ground and defend with the team and have a set of tools to attack with, where as previously it was one or the other; good at defending useless going forward, or great going forward and useless at defending.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

YeOldHammer wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:15 am I appreciate that we now have wingers who are prepared to cover ground and defend with the team and have a set of tools to attack with, where as previously it was one or the other; good at defending useless going forward, or great going forward and useless at defending.

not sure that Salah and Mane or Bernardo Silva and Sterling are great defenders either to be honest (not pulling you up at all merely agreeing to an extent) but the relentless press means that's they don't have to be because similar to Barca at their best, when they lose it they either win it back immediately or force you square and or back which means your entire defensive unit can regroup and situate accordingly. they usually don't give you the time to counter (which sounds like an oxymoron) but they're compact and long quick passes are picked off or the keepers are playing sweeper keeper effectively giving the CBs cover

limit opponents space to play through the lines, make play predictable and force them into area they don't want to go. therefore your forward players can spend more time attacking than defending. and they usually create so much and they're excellent at finishing that they can score more goals than the opposition. the "top 3" spend more time in the opposition half that they generally limit what their opponents can do and therefore usually win more game than they lose.

and of course they have players who are so much better in their respective positions than the other teams in the league. which is why they win the league more than anyone else.

I much prefer players like Bowen who don't go down when merely breathed on and are industrious AND creative

you can see why Klippity loves him so much. 3 months up there and he'll turn into a whiny cheating b*stard !!!!!

:crylol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3012 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:21 am I much prefer players like Bowen who don't go down when merely breathed on and are industrious AND creative
:newthumb:

For all the talk about Vlasic or Benny, I believe the player to compare him with is Bowen.

Would anybody argue that Benny gives us anywhere near as much as Bowen in terms of all round contribution ?

I'm not talking about stepovers and back heels, I'm talking about sheer bloody work rate. Their goal scoring records in terms of goals/ appearances, are not too dissimilar, but in terms of application Benny and Bowen are miles apart.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think he is the frilliest pair of knickers we’ve ever had.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

I thought he played quite well.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:32 am :newthumb:

For all the talk about Vlasic or Benny, I believe the player to compare him with is Bowen.

Would anybody argue that Benny gives us anywhere near as much as Bowen in terms of all round contribution ?

I'm not talking about stepovers and back heels, I'm talking about sheer bloody work rate. Their goal scoring records in terms of goals/ appearances, are not too dissimilar, but in terms of application Benny and Bowen are miles apart.
I did in fact quote you yesterday in the match thread albeit slightly altered and even creditied you with the copyright

Make no mistake, Jarron Bowen is a very, very good footballer.

:crylol:
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Georgee Paris wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:39 am I think he is the frilliest pair of knickers we’ve ever had.
The furriest fur coat actually. Get it right. :grin:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

MrHammer73 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:05 pm

I don't understand the constant criticism of him. I sometimes wonder if his name was Brian instead of Said, people would give him more of a pass.
Is that a veiled way of saying he is getting stick because he's a Muslim?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

thought he had a very solid game yesterday a solid 8. a few 4's in there and a couple of 10 moments

I love the excitement when he gets the ball. that shot would have been a worldie had it gone in.

few of the players have had moments like that this year, the Vlasic save the other day, the 2 from Tommie against Spurs, a couple of Bowen's, Burnely I think and maybe Chelsea too.

keepers have made a really good few saves when any one of them could have gone in. might have turned the season around for us, and for the player himself.

he does put in a defensive shift which gets overlooked when he scuffs a shot or puts a cross into the stands.

breathtaking and frustrating usually both in a few moments of each other.

proper West Ham player
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

- all of the above, 'ouston :thup:

Much of what he does is good, and occasionally edge-of-the-seat inducing (if we were sitting down :D ). The only area I criticise him on - and it is a critical area - is his decision-making, and yesterday a lot of that was good too. The best he's played in a while.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:58 pm Is that a veiled way of saying he is getting stick because he's a Muslim?
No not because he is Muslim as we have had Muslim players at the club before and still do without issue. More to the fact, is he a fancy Dan foreign player who doesn't put in the work required?

Whereas I am saying he is doing what he was signed for, to create and score goals.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

His stats are up this year on last, but I've been unimpressed with him for large parts of this season. Whereas last season I was excited by his tantalising skill and potential, this season I had started to develop an opinion that he's not all that. The end product had begun to do my head in and it's not really like you could say he offers enough elsewhere to cover for that.

But he's scored in consecutive games now, simple goals but notable in that they were right place, right time goals. That's the sort of thing that will allow him the platform to try those wonder strikes or moments of flair.

All in all, we are not Man City or Liverpool. We aren't even Arsenal to be honest. So Said Benrahma is more than good enough to be a West Ham player, fighting to be in and around the lineup.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Very much agree with Aztec above...his final ball has been weal for much of the season. I like that he's direct and always tries to make things happen - which often means we lose possession but I'd rather that than sideways keep ball...however a bit more patience is key for him.

Hopefully he'll carryon getting on the score sheet and continue to improve.

Looked a very happy lad handing his shirt to his Mum after the game.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

Is he available for the fa cup game v Leeds ?
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Sloop John B wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:54 pm

Looked a very happy lad handing his shirt to his Mum after the game.
Not as happy as she looked! Now I know who his super-fan on here is. :rofl: