👋 Farewell, Said Benrahma

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Re: ✍ Welcome to West Ham, Said Benrahma

Post by kitthehammer »

Benrahma's problem to me is we have other players who are better than him in all the positions he could be played in and sorry yes i'm one of the ones who thinks his decision making seems to be appalling 80% of the time.
no 10 - lanzini and fornals are better, i fully expect Cornet to be a better left winger, bowen is a better right winger (and antonio is) .
He shoots when he should pass, he passes when he should shoot, he takes on too many players when he should pass, he often loses the ball or gives it away and he doesn't get stuck in or track like fornals, and he certainly isn't tough enough for central midfield.
He seems more often to make life difficult for himself and everyone else. He has moments but they are outweighed by the rest of it.
I wanted him to do well but like yesterday when he came on, i just ended up thinking it isn't going to work with him at west ham.
Another player, like johnson where you ask, what actually is your best position?
Last edited by kitthehammer on Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:37 pm Asking this fella to hug the touch line and whip crosses in is just wrong. His best performances have been as a roaming number 10. Genk away was one of the best individual performances by any of our players last season.
I mentioned the same in another thread (either transfer or match), if you talk to Brentford fans they will tell you that he was at his best in the number ten role, just behind the striker.

With respect though, playing in that role in the Championship or in the early rounds of the Europa League is not the same as playing in that role in the Premier League. It isn't an easy position to get right and players with far more talent than Benrahma have failed before.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

just not good enough for where we want to be. does he get in a top 8 side which is where we are . forget the sky scum 6 . does he start at brighton, man utd newcastle wolves - no so why should he start for us ?

time to go and cut our losses - 20-25m hopefully
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm just not good enough for where we want to be. does he get in a top 8 side which is where we are . forget the sky scum 6 . does he start at brighton, man utd newcastle wolves - no so why should he start for us ?

Does Dennis and Traore get in those teams as you seem pretty keen on them?

Wolves are the weakest of those teams and been trying to offload Traore for about 18 months.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm just not good enough for where we want to be. does he get in a top 8 side which is where we are . forget the sky scum 6 . does he start at brighton, man utd newcastle wolves - no so why should he start for us ?

Well he did last season when we finished 7th, so I'd say he does, yes.

On what basis would he not get in any of the sides you mention ? It's a squad game and he is a key part of our squad currently, and he would be for those you mention too - certainly Brighton, Wolves and Newcastle

Some will never take to him and see only the bad and little or none of the good. Some near me were moaning about him when he was warming up

Maybe it is time for him to move on, as much for that reason as anything else, we can then sign up a new whipping boy who can give us 9 goals a season :newthumb:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:37 pm Asking this fella to hug the touch line and whip crosses in is just wrong. His best performances have been as a roaming number 10. Genk away was one of the best individual performances by any of our players last season. Looking back at that now - if Lanzini Is getting picked ahead of him it probably is best if he goes for the sake of his own career.
Genk aren’t very good though. Same way he looked a world beater against Norwich. He cannot do it, often enough, against decent opposition.

He actually did ok yesterday when he came on other than his final ball and that is the problem. He is almost good enough, nearly the player we need.

I have concerns over Lanzini as well, but the answer is probably neither is good enough in that role for where we want to be which is why we’ve been linked with a few who can play that role.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

MB wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:44 pm Genk aren’t very good though. Same way he looked a world beater against Norwich. He cannot do it, often enough, against decent opposition.
I also think he isn't suited playing as deep as we often do.
Against the so called lessee teams we do have more possession and higher up the pitch.

Getting him the ball in our own half with 2 players in front doesn't work.
That's not to say he couldn't make better/simpler choices in those positions some times.

Added to that we are going to play lesser teams in the league and in Europe. Use him then, we need to rotate still.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

He’s ****. Get rid of him.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

MB wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:44 pm Genk aren’t very good though. Same way he looked a world beater against Norwich. He cannot do it, often enough, against decent opposition.

He actually did ok yesterday when he came on other than his final ball and that is the problem. He is almost good enough, nearly the player we need.

I have concerns over Lanzini as well, but the answer is probably neither is good enough in that role for where we want to be which is why we’ve been linked with a few who can play that role.
That’s all fair and I don’t necessarily disagree. It is however a squad game and we’ll be playing be quite a few Genk/Norwichs this season. Our record against middle to bottom half teams wasn’t all that great in the league last season was it as I recall?

My main issue is that the players we are being linked with are far from guaranteed to be the upgrade we all want. People talk like Benrahma is pony and then advocate Cornet, Dennis, Sarr, Traore - the relegated and the discarded. I personally think we’ve got some good forward players that haven taken us to 6th and 7th in respective seasons (arguably our ceiling). I’ve not heard a single name that we could realistically sign that’s a significant upgrade on Bowen, Fornals and Benrahma. Cornet upgrades Yarmo and Vlasic and challenges the latter two so that’s good. But for me Scamacca is the game changer that upgrades the collective. Now we need a playmaker that isn’t also a tippy tappy lightweight and we should be done.

Benny is a great bench option because he tries stuff. Who else do we have like that?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:51 pm He’s ****. Get rid of him.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

El brooko79 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:51 pm I also think he isn't suited playing as deep as we often do.
Against the so called lessee teams we do have more possession and higher up the pitch.

Getting him the ball in our own half with 2 players in front doesn't work.
That's not to say he couldn't make better/simpler choices in those positions some times.

Added to that we are going to play lesser teams in the league and in Europe. Use him then, we need to rotate still.
Agree with all of that.

The difference once Ogbonna got injured is something I've said way too often, but Benrahma was one of the players who suffered most due to us dropping back 10 yards.

I have no problems with him as a squad option. He is different to the other options and may well be a flat track bully, but you need that at times.

It is just the idea of him as a 10 I struggle with. Same way, but for different reasons, I do with Lanzini. Vlasic, God only knows. If I was keeping one of the three and bringing in a proper 10 then Benrahma is probably the one I'd keep though.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

get rid of vlasic benrahma and get maddison a proper 10 good age. fornals as cover for him.

moyes has said he wants more lets get a LB CB CM CF/AM pellegrini diallo maddison sarr traore 5 more in 3 more out

reshaped squad. cover everywhere although downes, lanzini and coventry will need to cover dec and soucek . we can sort that in january or next summer.

GET MADDISON IN transforms us to a top 6 or higher team.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Why do you turn every thread into a transfer thread?
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

My issues with Benny have always been decision making and the final ball, I don’t think he will ever improve to the level Moyes is looking for…I’d upgrade if we could
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

I really don't buy the 'he'd be better in a CAM' argument, seems like an excuse to me. Good attacking players find ways to be relevant in a game, like Bowen and Fornals (at least he used to), regardless of where you put them across a front three. All I can see happening if Benrahma plays as a no 10 is he'll have more opposition players around to dispossess him.

Same goes for Lanzini, he seems to do very little in whichever position he's in.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Horses for courses... Benrahma could certainly play in the number ten role against more than half of the Premier League and be fine. Against some he would be outstanding, as proved last season.

In other games you need more of a Fornals, Lanzini or Downes type player in there to make up a middle three.

Nothing wrong with an attacking line up against the weaker sides such as;

------- Soucek Rice ------
Bowen Benrahma Cornet
-------- Scamacca --------
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

No numbers to prove it obviously but I'm not convinced he keeps himself in the best shape. I think he's looked a bit hefty for a while and whilst never being a burner, I'm sure he had a bit more pace about him when we first signed him. He's very slow now.

Don't mind him as a bench option, although that doesn't solve his issues it does at least mean he's brought onto a game to try and change it, rather than start it and try and dictate it.

But I think we could benefit more from the money his sale would bring in, if it is the sort of fee we spent on him.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

He frustrates me as a player but he does get goals and assists.

I would like him to be an option off the bench and to start when we need a little more invention against the smaller teams. No way would I sell unless a silly came in.

He can offer us something that no one else in the squad can ATM and until that’s replaced he should remain.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I really do like him, and that type of "gets your bum off your seat" player.

that player though has to back himself to knock whoever he's competing with for that position out of his place.

I'm guessing that he sees himself as that type of player. (nowt wrong with that) and if so, why (in his mind) should he see himself either coming off the bench or being hauled off at about 65 minutes ?

a cunundrum for sure.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Thought he played well today and was unlucky to not be on the score sheet at least once, he had the bearing of his mam and worked hard with and without the ball. His crossing was not the best but certainly progress.

Credit where credits due, he looked good today