West Ham Utd 1-1 Manchester City (24/10/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by Vic_Watson »

Watching at the time, I was very surprised the handball wasn't given. Also surprised that the pen on Mick wasn't given but no one really protested did they? "Big" teams would have been in the ref's face. Too nice?
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by djbubbles »

At the start of the season i though we'd have a couple of points at this stage and facing a relegation battle, but now im optimistic we might even be in the shake up for Europe.
Everyone was great yesterday. They have to be against City or you get slaughtered. We were weakened when Antonio went off. Haller is not an option in this present system. Horses for courses. I just wish he would try harder or even look like hes busting a gut for his 20 min cameo
Moyes cant be blamed for Yarmos performance. He was good last week so was the right option from the bench. I cant see him getting game time next week. Overall delighted to be a Hammer
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

I didn't see it as a handball. It seemed to come off his thigh to me.

Not impressed with our defending for the goal. I know it's Citeh and they have great players, but we had three centre backs and not one of them close enough to stop Foden turning 180 and getting a shot away.
Last edited by Smonnie on Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Definitely agree with that on Yarmo. One poor 30 mins is inevitable. Even Sir Trevor and Billy had them.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Definitely not a hand ball. I thought they had cleared that up at half time?
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

HammerAl wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:50 am Definitely not a hand ball. I thought they had cleared that up at half time?
MOTD said that they thought it was a handball but not one that should be penalised.

I didn't even see what they were talking about in real time.
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:12 am Apparently the hand ball rule has changed in the last couple of weeks!
Even if it had hit soucek''s arm, because it was not the final assist, the 'any handball is handball regardless of intent' rule doesn't count anymore - it would have to have been deemed to be deliberate for it to be disallowed

It wpukd have been disallowed under previous rules (it it was determined it had hit is arm)

Madness. No wonder there is no consistency!
So....why even look at it, it was never the final assist?
& a nanosecond look at the penalty
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

To add to the Masuaku comments....

...thought it was noticeable yesterday that our left hand side wasn’t bullied by Kyle Walker for a change.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Double post
Last edited by honkytonk on Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:14 am Watching at the time, I was very surprised the handball wasn't given. Also surprised that the pen on Mick wasn't given but no one really protested did they? "Big" teams would have been in the ref's face. Too nice?
Maybe. I thought it was a stonewall penalty and general opinion seems more thought it was than wasn't, but heyho, I'm happy with the overall performance and the point. Optimistically, I predicted a 2 nil win but I'll happily take the point. I genuinely did not expect to lose yesterday such is the growing confidence in the team and also that City are not yet the force they've been.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Smonnie wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:41 am I didn't see it as a handball. It seemed to come off his thigh to me.

Not impressed with our defending for the goal. I know it's Citeh and they have great players, but we had three centre backs and not one of them close enough to stop Foden turning 180 and getting a shot away.
Not sure if he was totally to blame, but in general it s my main criticism of Balbuena. Seems to lose his man quite a bit. Ball watches and does not follow his marker. Has done it since he joined. Amount of balls in where the striker has got away from him.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

A game of 2 halfs. We were excellent especially first half. Working extremely hard and being really aggressive with the ball, making things difficult for Man City and even without the ball we positioned ourselves well, so it was almost impossible for City to break us down unless they did something special. City improved once they brought on Foden and we became weaker attackng wise when Antonio went off and Yarmolenko had probably his worst ever performance in a West Ham shirt. I didn't think we were awful second half per say. I just think it was simply down to City really upping their game. Our players still gave a 100% and completely earned the point.

It was a unique game as I actually thought both sides defended really week. As we didn't do a lot wrong when trying to create some chances in the first half. I thought City just defended well, like us. The amount of last ditch tackles and blocks they put in was frustrating and very unlike a typical Pep team, as he isn't the best manager at building a team that is solid defensively. That's arguably one of Pep's only weakness. But the game was almost a defending masterclass. And even both goals I didn't think was down to poor defending. It was really good finishing by both Antonio and Foden.

Coufal and Balbuena at times got a little bit caught up and we did struggle down the right hand side. Thankfully Pep had a brainfart and moved the one player who was ripping us apart on that side to the left hand side in the last 10-15 minutes of the 2nd half.

Fabianski has been okay in the odd game since being fit again. But that was by far his best performance since before the game away to Bournemouth when he got injured. He was superb. As was Oggy, Soucek and Bowen first half especially. My MOTM was Masuaku. Who for me had arguably one of his best ever performances in a West Ham shirt. But he very nearly cost us a well deserved point by playing silly beggars with the ball, before losing it. So I'll give it to Declan Rice. Who was as good as he almost always is.

Before the game I was wondering if Benrahma would struggle to make the bench for a little while. But after Haller and Yarmolenko's performances, he has a good chance now of taking one of their places. Haller I'll give the benefit of doubt. But that's the 3rd unconvincing performance of the season from Yarmo, after Everton in the Cup and the Gooners away when he cost us in that game. So he'll be in real danger of falling out of Moyes' plans if he's not too careful.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

We’re a substantial distance better off than where I expected us to be at this stage, having put in some performances that I really wasn’t expecting. Delighted with the point in isolation but a tad disappointed to not get all 3 after that.

Red scouse next week sees the end of the fixture list from hell and I have a slight worry that for subsequent games we’ll switch off a little and drop points after the intensity of the last few weeks. That said, I’ve got more faith that Moyes will have this in mind and be preparing them for the different challenge ahead.

Feeling cautiously optimistic, can’t remember the last time that happened.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

As we all know the game plan went out the window when Antonio went off, haller is a shadow of himself and as no confidence and needs someone to play off or with ( that’s why someone like king wouid have been nice to have had on the bench imo ) yarmalenko is a player that is great in coming forward but lacks defencefley and can be lazy when tracking back leaving the right hand side open ( Bowen has the ability in going forward and getting back at the right times ) which is funny because we used suffer the same on the left until Arthur came back in and him and cresswell have a good understanding, Arthur’s playing really well and as some good skill on him.

If you said we wouid have eight points from the fixtures at the start of the season I wouid have bitten your fingers off, I always gage on twenty points before Xmas ( halfway to the magic 40 points for so called safety ) and we are playing really well, but we are a couple of injuries away from danger and it shows how much we need Antonio teams can’t handle him, we need someone else like him as of this summer gone but definatletly in January window for sure, keep up the good work lads you’ve been brilliant so far :scarfer: .
jonnysissons
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by jonnysissons »

Just read the match report in the Sunday times. He refers to the incident when the ref didn’t go back and book their player for holding back Declan. “It was a vignette that perfectly demonstrated how big teams have weaponised the tactical foul and how painfully inadequate the present rules and referees are at disincentivizing it “
Even the media notice it.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Love that tweet from Arthur. :lol:
MOTM for me just above Declan. We really missed Antonio when he went off. Agree that King would have been the sensible business to do for cover. I'm still hoping that Haller will come good given a chance though.
Don't know what was up with Yarmo? I'm a big fan of his but yesterday he had a stinker. You could see his own frustration too.
Really happy with the point though. If we can just put a good shift in next week it will be the worst posssible starting set of fixtures really well navigated.
The less said about the Ref and the BT commentary the better.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

sendô wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:57 pm They won't, but I'll bet my house they'll bang on and on about Soucek's "handball".
I see I was right about MOTD and their dreary punditry. Micah Richard's "I didn't think it was a penalty".

Well, the defending slid through Antonio and tripped him up before getting the ball. That's as straight forward a penalty as you'll ever see.

Also mentioned the "handball" several times despite it looking more like it hit his stomach.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

jonnysissons wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:20 pm Just read the match report in the Sunday times. He refers to the incident when the ref didn’t go back and book their player for holding back Declan. “It was a vignette that perfectly demonstrated how big teams have weaponised the tactical foul and how painfully inadequate the present rules and referees are at disincentivizing it “
Even the media notice it.

I forgot about this. As cynical a foul as you’re likely to see and shocking he wasn’t booked.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

That pullback didn't even make the MOTD Highlights.