January 2021 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: January 2021 Transfer Window

Post by smuts »

LeonRivers wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 pm It’s a shame tonight’s match was such a late kick off. Way past bedtime for a lot of the characters in this thread. Hopefully mum puts on the highlights while they have their coco pops tomorrow.
Oh look...Leon's having a dig at Kumbers. There's a shock.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:56 am I imagine Moyes has looked at Josh King and Jesses Lingard and decided Lingard was the better and more versatile option -

Lingard can fill in on the right , left and as an occasional striker / false 9 .

One from the left and one from the right .
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Time to trust the manager. He's been about and has made some superb signings. Lingard will hopefully bring an energy with him that filters through on the rest for final months of the season.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Tbf, I’m chuffed with the performance and pleased with Lingard, but this game did demonstrate that:

1. We could have used another LB who is more mobile, and

2. Antonio just can’t do 90 min week-in week-out...his performances start to drop off around the 70th min, and we have no alternative.

Thrilled with the win, thrilled for Lingard, but doesn’t mean we didn’t have a bad window
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Poor Seb. Clerical error has left him off Ajax's Europa side. Oopsie.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55928401
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

WCpete wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:47 am Poor Seb. Clerical error has left him off Ajax's Europa side. Oopsie.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55928401
Probably a blessing in disguise!
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

I'm not sure if anyone caught any of the Brentford v Bristol City match, but I've got to say that Ivan Toney is the striker for us. He's a younger, taller version of Antonio. Great work ethic.

It's a pity that Brentford are almost certain to be promoted, but if not Tomey is a player worth investing £30m on. It's a shame we didn't pay Peterborough £5m for him last summer.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I was thinking around the 70th minute mark that it would be good to get antonio off for a rest but we only had oludepo on the bench and moyes has stated he is not quite ready. maybe he will get minutes at fulham when we are 3 up !

we do still need a LB CM and CF

I think moyes knows who he wants and will get them. fit young hungry pacey skillful players who have the right attitude.

plenty of outs in the summer martin released reid free yarmolenko 5m lanzini 10m anderson 10m 25m for the new CF
Loadsa2000
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Loadsa2000 »

I know it was only his first game, but what would you do with Lingard if he carries on like last night.
Obviously we need a player like him to play the role of joining midfield and our forward line.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

This summer shaping up to be another of those big opportunities for us to take that step to the next level Under GSB

They’ve had 2 or 3 glorious opportunities in the past decade and botched every single one with cheap punts

Going to be very interesting to see if history repeats itself (most likely), or if Moyeseh can get a good amount of cash into the budget
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Loadsa2000 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:48 am I know it was only his first game, but what would you do with Lingard if he carries on like last night.

Buy him .

He's been brought in for his versatility -

He can fill in for Benrahma , Bowen or play from deep .

He scores goals too .
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

The sun reporting that Villas-Boas’ resignation from Marseille was partly because he wanted Lanzini (either as part of Sanson swap or as loan with option) in the January window.

Interesting - perhaps we expected Lanzini to leave and that changed at the Marseille end after Lingard came in.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Lanzini seems to have completely disappeared from Moyes' thinking in recent games which might indicate that something is afoot. I imagine the club would snap anyone's arm off for £10m.

I believe that all of Pellegrini's signings are now considered expendable - even Fornals. Fabianski was the last man standing from that lot against Fulham.

The weaknesses remain the same as before - but they seem particularly pronounced in CM cover and at CF.

I wince every time I see Noble or Yarmolenko introduced in a game where we are trying to keep it tight, or lock it down, because they have the exact opposite effect of throwing the door open wide, though at least Yarmy is now playing as an auxilliary striker so it's less troublesome than when he is supposed to cover the right side of midfield.

I reckon the club, like most others, are waiting for clearer sight of where we are going to finish, and what the situation will be in terms of stadiums opening up before making judgements on signings etc. If we were to qualify for Europe, I imagine some players may stay in the fold, or get brought back into it, that otherwise wouldn't. Lingard is very much a Joao Mario situation.

I think, from where we are, 9th should be the absolute minimum expectation now.

I also think Fabianski is way off where he was two years ago.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:22 amI think, from where we are, 9th should be the absolute minimum expectation now.
I'd say that given our lack of finding cover at CF this window, we will finish 9th now. Great league position to finish, i'll take it. I just hope we keep Antonio fit and ready for the cup games.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Just bring lanzini out for the spurs game 🤣🤣🤣
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:22 am Lanzini seems to have completely disappeared from Moyes' thinking in recent games which might indicate that something is afoot. I imagine the club would snap anyone's arm off for £10m.

I believe that all of Pellegrini's signings are now considered expendable - even Fornals. Fabianski was the last man standing from that lot against Fulham.

The weaknesses remain the same as before - but they seem particularly pronounced in CM cover and at CF.

I wince every time I see Noble or Yarmolenko introduced in a game where we are trying to keep it tight, or lock it down, because they have the exact opposite effect of throwing the door open wide, though at least Yarmy is now playing as an auxilliary striker so it's less troublesome than when he is supposed to cover the right side of midfield.

I reckon the club, like most others, are waiting for clearer sight of where we are going to finish, and what the situation will be in terms of stadiums opening up before making judgements on signings etc. If we were to qualify for Europe, I imagine some players may stay in the fold, or get brought back into it, that otherwise wouldn't. Lingard is very much a Joao Mario situation.

I think, from where we are, 9th should be the absolute minimum expectation now.

I also think Fabianski is way off where he was two years ago.
"Even Fornals"

What you been smoking proph 8-)
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -transfer/

The Sun yesterday reported that we are looking to sign Alan Armstrong in the Summer
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

TheHandOfDog wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:57 pm I'd say that given our lack of finding cover at CF this window, we will finish 9th now. Great league position to finish, i'll take it. I just hope we keep Antonio fit and ready for the cup games.
And yet with a bit of effort we could have bought in some cover who might have helped us stay in the top 6. I refuse to believe that there wasn't someone who was available either on loan from abroad or relatively cheap who's a better option than Yarmolenko as a CF.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:45 pm https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -transfer/

The Sun yesterday reported that we are looking to sign Alan Armstrong in the Summer
Not sure I believe the Sun - that £ number way below what Blackburn want. Also, if we wanted him then why not bid in early Jan when Blackburn weren’t that close to playoffs?

Perhaps we’d be interested as squad filler but doubt Blackburn or Armstrong would.