January 2021 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: January 2021 Transfer Window

Post by smuts »

paulhs1 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:30 pm Well you cant complain if we bring no one in then fella
I wasn't complaining...said a few weeks ago it would be quite amusing to see him up to his antics in our colours.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

NedN wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:47 pm Cancelled this year mate...he’s got nothing better to do than prepare to don our colors
Carnival's never cancelled. :wink:
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:13 pm A few of us endured pelters for weeks at the time Dodge, eerily quiet in here now though isn’t it.
"WAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHH WAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH"

Was a personal favourite of mine. That and the gifs taking the piss out of us. They were great. All because we dared to ask what the plan was. Why were we doing the inexplicable business that we were doing (or not). We didn't address any of our actual issues. All we did was weaken our 'strikeforce' and not bolster our central midfield. As a result of that, we played our most important game of the season without a striker, whilst Mark Noble played 120 minutes in central midfield.

"WAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHH WAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH"

Quality.

As predicted we are now out of the cup, and we will now not be able to kick on in the league.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

I’m ambivalent about Costa but he must need to play soon if he wants any chance of going to one last International tournament this summer.
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:13 pm A few of us endured pelters for weeks at the time Dodge, eerily quiet in here now though isn’t it.
Might have something to do with the January 2021 Transfer Window being closed.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

paulhs1 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:22 pm Could it be possible that bringing Odubeko on then taking him off was a huge hint to the Dave's to get someone in now for the last 15 games?!
No. If that were to be true, that would be a really c***ish thing for a manager to do by using a rookie like that just to prove a point.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Matthew Bondswell has his contscr terminated at RB Leipzig by mutual consent. Wants to return to the UK

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/west-ham- ... g-contract
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:08 am Matthew Bondswell has his contscr terminated at RB Leipzig by mutual consent. Wants to return to the UK

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/west-ham- ... g-contract
According to Ex we never bid for him, and not sure we have any interest in him.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:29 am According to Ex we never bid for him, and not sure we have any interest in him.
I wonder where the press would’ve got the idea we are bidding for players we have had no contact with in a window where we sign no one and sell our most expensive player....

Almost never happens at West Ham.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Unlike a few of our fans on here I'm not actually convinced Moyes will target a leftback in the summer. I think as long as Masuaku recovers well he'll just go along with Cresswell, Masuaku, with Johnson and even Longelo being able to cover in that position. As much as Masuaku isn't always great defensively it's a similar argument to Cresswell. Cresswell has only improved because of having better players in midfield and the addition of Dawson, a centre half that can actually defend properly and win headers. So dare I say it, maybe even Masuaku will look better at leftback now.

Moyes seems to really like Cresswell. He has praised him often enough. So for at least one more season I'd expect Cresswell to be 1st choice leftback, with Masuaku either playing there when Cresswell is injured, playing wingback when when we go with the 3/5 at the back formation, or possibly even on the left wing.

I can only see him bringing in a youngster at leftback if he is happy with Cresswell as first choice. But it boils down to how much he rates Longelo. As there's zero point bringing one in if we already have a youngster on our books. Has that Omar Richards agreed to join anyone yet? He's out of contract at the end of the season isn't he? Plus, if I am not mistaken that Tyrick Mitchell at Palace could be also. If Derby are struggling financially I've been quite impressed with that Buchanan too
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:02 am Unlike a few of our fans on here I'm not actually convinced Moyes will target a leftback in the summer. I think as long as Masuaku recovers well he'll just go along with Cresswell, Masuaku, with Johnson and even Longelo being able to cover in that position. As much as Masuaku isn't always great defensively it's a similar argument to Cresswell. Cresswell has only improved because of having better players in midfield and the addition of Dawson, a centre half that can actually defend properly and win headers. So dare I say it, maybe even Masuaku will look better at leftback now.

Moyes seems to really like Cresswell. He has praised him often enough. So for at least one more season I'd expect Cresswell to be 1st choice leftback, with Masuaku either playing there when Cresswell is injured, playing wingback when when we go with the 3/5 at the back formation, or possibly even on the left wing.

I can only see him bringing in a youngster at leftback if he is happy with Cresswell as first choice. But it boils down to how much he rates Longelo. As there's zero point bringing one in if we already have a youngster on our books. Has that Omar Richards agreed to join anyone yet? He's out of contract at the end of the season isn't he? Plus, if I am not mistaken that Tyrick Mitchell at Palace could be also. If Derby are struggling financially I've been quite impressed with that Buchanan too
Well I'd certainly be looking at Johnson, Baptiste and Ashby? As defence cover etc before I'd think about the full back area personally.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

What they should do with the LB position is ideally move Arthur on if they can. He can’t play LB to save his life and is only ever gonna be a LWB. He’s done well there but really it’d be better to sign a LB who can play full back and wing back, like Cresswell could at the start of his WH career. Maybe the lad at Brentford for example.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

As long as he recovers well from his injury I think Masuaku will be fine for another season as at least being a squad player. Especially if the Premier League keeps the rule of having 9 subs on the bench. As that allows us to have more options on the bench. And what a useful option he is to have on the bench. As if we ever wanted to change our formation to the 3/5 at the back during a game, or just want to inject more pace into the team then he is perfect.

Moyes tends to think differently to a lot of our supporters. We all thought he’d look at a leftback last summer and he recognised it was our centre halves that were the problem. This January he thought our attacking midfielders weren’t quite doing enough, or at least needed better competition so brought in Lingard.

I expect at least 1 striker and a central midfielder to be brought into the club in the summer. And I actually think this window’s wildcard positions Moyes will possibly look to strengthen that no one is expecting is centre half, as Diop could be sacrificed, Balbuena may not have his contract renewed and both Oggy and Dawson are no spring chickens. And the one I especially have a sneaky feeling he may look at is a goalkeeper. I think he may look to do exactly what Big Sam did with Jasskelainen. I reckon Fabianski will get a new 1-2 year contract, but he’ll bring in a Keeper to either sit on the bench for now and will eventually dislodge him during next season like Adrian did to Jaaskelainen, or someone to actually start straightaway next season, with Fabianski dropped to the bench. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us do something like make anoffer plus swap deal with West Brom for Sam Johnstone, with Darren Randolph going the other way. Johnstone is a good enough age, only has a year remaining on his contract, will want Premier League football after they are relegated, Ex Man Utd so straightaway Moyes will know a bit about him, plus a certain Mr Salthouse is his agent. He is Randolph’s agent too. So Salthouse will make a killing moving 2 clients on. And West Brom would still benefit from that deal as they’ll get a very good, experienced Championship goalkeeper in Randolph. Otherwise I suspect it’ll be Dean Henderson on loan from Man Utd.
Last edited by funky chicken on Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Moyes will be looking for at least one centre-back, one centre-midfielder and one striker. All who are capable of challenging for the first team. Given that, I don't see him looking at left-back this summer.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Turns to Stone wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:57 am Moyes will be looking for at least one centre-back, one centre-midfielder and one striker. All who are capable of challenging for the first team. Given that, I don't see him looking at left-back this summer.
...and A new GK too. Fab reluctant to sign a contract extension at the moment and Randy out of contract. We're a bit interested in Strahosha at Lazio, but he's Albanian and Albanians, I'm not sure about. Could be another Roberto
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

money as always will be tight so if he has cresswell arthur johnson and longello as left back/wingback he will spend elsewhere. The right side is covered by coufal fredericks and johnson so we look ok there.

CH ogbonna dawson diop balbuena alese maybe enough but I think he will get in a younger starting CB

CM - kral and one other as we have no cover. noble cant do next season and we havent seen anything of coventry to judge him.

CF - again one in at least, the chap from seville, en nesyri seems to be the one moyes wants. failing that , ivan toney from brentford. Both around 24 years old fast strong and scoring. just what we need. antonio can then mix and match . gradually he will be moved down from our number one striker. at the moment he is the "only" striker. what a mess !

GK - fab still performing and has another good season ahead but we will need younger and soon. pope from burnley if we finish well this season

all the above means sullivan will have to spend but surely he has used his excuses up for not spending !

transfers in can be part funded by the out and savings on wages martin randolph balbuene? 5m lanzini 10m yarmolenko 5m anderson 10m

can be done and needs to be done sooner rather than later to keep hold of soucek and rice !
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:54 am
Moyes tends to think differently to a lot of our supporters. We all thought he’d look at a leftback last summer and he recognised it was our centre halves that were the problem. This January he thought our attacking midfielders weren’t quite doing enough, or at least needed better competition so brought in Lingard.
Thank goodness he does Funky. You might even say one man’s professional view is worth sixty thousand amateurs. But does he realise the banter he’s missing?

👍
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:29 am According to Ex we never bid for him, and not sure we have any interest in him.
Not bidding for him doesn't mean we don't have interest. To be frank, we'd be daft to not have interest in a promising 18 year old available for free, and presumably the cancelled contract means we don't need to involve a tribunal/fee payment to Leipzig either.
Vienna wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:20 pm Fashion Sakala is being linked on a free with a pre contract agreement.
I like this, watch a lot of Jupiler League. Very much an Antonio style player, a winger/forward who can play on the left and up top. Pacy, strong, good finishing, presses high up the pitch and never stops running. Would be a good move.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:08 am ...and A new GK too. Fab reluctant to sign a contract extension at the moment and Randy out of contract. We're a bit interested in Strahosha at Lazio, but he's Albanian and Albanians, I'm not sure about. Could be another Roberto
Puff - I think we were only sniffing around that keeper as Lazio were rumoured to want Balbuena.

Also it could have been a way to let Fab’s agent know we won’t be held to ransom for his new contract and are looking at alternatives.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

It's been said that Moyes is looking to strengthen in four positions. That is a hell of a lot in one window. The obvious one is striker. Our defence is looking good methinks. Perhaps another DM to fill in for either Rice or Soucek and a LB for Cresswell but those positions are sort of covered by Fornals and Johnson respectively.

BTW, I support Moyes' decision not to panic buy a striker even if it means our great start to the season peters out somewhat.

Edit: Damn, the only reason I posted was to get to page 500 ... :lol: