January 2021 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: January 2021 Transfer Window

Post by Puff Daddy »

I don't know how keen we really are about En Nasyri. If we really want him, we wont dick f*** about for months on end all summer
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

I am on page 500...

What the others said, especially page 3.
yakandyeti
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

It's been said that we have a £60m budget and we need two strikers, a defensive midfielder, and a left back and, if there is no contract agreed, a goalie. Add in that we are likely to also use some of that for Dawson and maybe Lingard unless there are some Bosmans or incredible bargains that means the average price is pretty low. If we can defer a goalie and left back another season by contact extensions etc. That's no bad thing. Although I think the best result for left back would be to ship out Masuaku and get someone who can play in a 4 or a 5 that is much younger than Creswell who can be his longterm successor with the money. The only way we can rebuild the squad in one summer with several top quality players is to sell Rice, which I think should be avoided at all costs.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

dodger wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:16 pm
The board have presented Moyes as someone who is very picky with the players he buys, but he said himself we tried for a few strikers in the window. Why didn’t the board go out all to get one of those he wanted? I’m guessing it’s because they cost more than 2 bob.
Obviously. What exactly do you want to happen in this situation?
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

I think Johnson deserves a run at left back before we buy one.

That is if he really sees himself as a left back, the only part of his game which wasn’t brilliant against Man Utd was he had to keep cutting back onto his right foot to cross.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

The Straw wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:04 am "WAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHH WAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH"

As predicted we are now out of the cup, and we will now not be able to kick on in the league.
Yeah. Guaranteed win if we’d kept Haller. Just a shame that we swapped him for Lingard so that we only won 3-1 in the previous game too.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:02 am Unlike a few of our fans on here I'm not actually convinced Moyes will target a leftback in the summer. I think as long as Masuaku recovers well he'll just go along with Cresswell, Masuaku, with Johnson and even Longelo being able to cover in that position. As much as Masuaku isn't always great defensively it's a similar argument to Cresswell. Cresswell has only improved because of having better players in midfield and the addition of Dawson, a centre half that can actually defend properly and win headers. So dare I say it, maybe even Masuaku will look better at leftback now.
It’s never been a priority. Back when there were tears because “we’ve never spent more than £7m on a left back!!!!” we were fine there. We have 2 PL quality left backs and a very promising youth. There are plenty positions where that is clearly not the case. Unless one is sold (or loaned out) we’ll not be signing another.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:08 am We're a bit interested in Strahosha at Lazio, but he's Albanian and Albanians, I'm not sure about. Could be another Roberto
:lol: WTF? :lol:

I can’t speak for everyone, but the first thing out my lips every time Roberto made a mistake was always “FFS, is this guy Albanian?”
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

LeonRivers wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:33 am :lol: WTF? :lol:

I can’t speak for everyone, but the first thing out my lips every time Roberto made a mistake was always “FFS, is this guy Albanian?”
The guy deserves his own thread. Apparently Lingard doesn't look like a good footballer. (In terms of his actual looks, not abilities with the ball).
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:38 am

What the others said, especially page 3.
Not a single boob in sight just would-be lyricists trying to find a rhyme for ' million ' ???
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:23 am I don't know how keen we really are about En Nasyri. If we really want him, we wont dick **** about for months on end all summer
What was his price any idea? Spanking £35 million on one forward seems risky. All of our eggs in one basket again.

If we had £60 million to spend in the summer, would rather we scouted well and spent up to £25 million on a cm, £25 million on a first choice striker, £10 million on a back up striker. Then try to raise additional funds within the squad - yarmo, Anderson. Lanzini for a new left back.

Obs rough figures but an idea of the split

Then somehow find the money for Lingard if he plays well enough or another player of that ilk.

Harrison Reed if fulham go down as cm possibly.
Always say Will Hughes if watford don't go up.
Kral sounds decent but might be too expensive if we want to invest elsewhere.

No idea on strikers as their prices seem way ott

Check the players who's contract expiring.
Tyrick Mitchell at Palace
Maybe Steve Cook at Bournemouth if they don't go up and Balbuena leaves.
Would take Choupo-moting from Bayern at back up striker for a year (first choice, Antonio, moting as 3) but reckon he would want too long a contract.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Is it time, mebbe, that we shunted over to a Summer 2021 Transfer Window thread...? :idea:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

steveyrockstar wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:09 pm Is it time, mebbe, that we shunted over to a Summer 2021 Transfer Window thread...? :idea:
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

LeonRivers wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:27 am Yeah. Guaranteed win if we’d kept Haller. Just a shame that we swapped him for Lingard so that we only won 3-1 in the previous game too.
We drew 0-0 in the previous game.

Let's see how it unfolds.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

El brooko79 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:06 pm What was his price any idea? Spanking £35 million on one forward seems risky. All of our eggs in one basket again.

If we had £60 million to spend in the summer, would rather we scouted well and spent up to £25 million on a cm, £25 million on a first choice striker, £10 million on a back up striker. Then try to raise additional funds within the squad - yarmo, Anderson. Lanzini for a new left back.
I'm the opposite view. I look at our team and the glaring weakness in our 1st XI is the centre forward. OK, maybe "glaring weakness" harsh, but the one thing that is preventing us from challenging consistently at the top table is our lack of goals from the front man. You put a 30 goal striker up there and we're competing top 4 easily (assuming everyhting else in our XI remains equal). Hell, even a 15-20 goal striker will make a significant upturn in our ability to secure points.

I'd be looking to sign THE striker that Moyes identifies. Whatever it takes. I'd also let him have a more affordable punt in there as well. If that's a £5m Coufal (foreign unknown) type or a £10m Hugill (lower UK league) type signing then that's where the return on investment is most likely to be found. If that takes up 95% of our budget so may need to sacrifice the permanent signing of Lingard to do this, but I'm for that if it gets us the firepower we need. If we then have pad out midfield and defence with cheap cover, then so be it. This Stoke freebie looks bang average, but he's played PL football, a lot of top-flight (and presumably CL football) in Turkey, and has a few caps for Senegal. He'll provide cover for our CMs.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

The only problem with that approach Leon is if that striker then bombs out.

It’s like spending £45m on a players like Haller who guarantees you goals and assists even though it means you can’t buy a CM or LB for cover.

Until he didn’t.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Any spend should continue the move under Moyes to rebalance the awfully unbalanced squad MP left him with whilst focusing on players with the qualities he wants such as pace and work ethic. In the end if Moyes believes this can be done whilst spending the majority of the budget on one player it is his decision - get it wrong and as with MP it is his job that will be on the line.

We do need players in CM but if we keep both Rice and Soucek why should a top quality CM, especially a younger one with a fast developing career, come to us to be essentially cover - we might love having them on the bench to play cup games and rotate in every now and then to either rest a player or field a more defensive set up - but they are going to want to play week in week out and if say a Southampton or other similar club offers this they are more likely to go there as the next step in their career than our bench.

This is where the lure of the Man Utd etc does make a significant difference (and no doubt the wages they will pay) they are then at the “big club” that is their goal even if they are basically just a squad player.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

steveyrockstar wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:09 pm Is it time, mebbe, that we shunted over to a Summer 2021 Transfer Window thread...? :idea:
It's certainly time this was was moved over to the Hall of Fame. :thup: