January 2021 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Re: January 2021 Transfer Window

Post by Diogenes »

Crikey, is this thread still going. Could've, should've, would've is a bit irrelevant now is it not? Should we not be being a bit more positive and perhaps starting a Summer Transfer thread? Don't misunderstand me, no problem it staying if some still feel it relevant but there are many on here who know a great deal more than me about the potential talent in the 'lower' divisions and abroad who perhaps we should be scouting as filling vital positions at a potentially reasonable price. I would be interested to see views on that. Perhaps we should 'helping' be doing our own scouting?

Also, before you say it, I have no idea how you set a new thread up :?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

hammer1975 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:14 pm ................

Also, if we wanted him then why not bid in early Jan when Blackburn weren’t that close to playoffs?

The danger of the bid being accepted?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

hammer1975 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:14 pm Not sure I believe the Sun - that £ number way below what Blackburn want. Also, if we wanted him then why not bid in early Jan when Blackburn weren’t that close to playoffs?

Perhaps we’d be interested as squad filler but doubt Blackburn or Armstrong would.
I asked myself the same question as I presumed that Armstrong would have been a realistic target for Jan.

I think the likely scenario is that Moyes probably isn't yet 100% convinced by Armstrong and is continuing to monitor him. Same with Dia.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

LeonRivers wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 pm It’s a shame tonight’s match was such a late kick off. Way past bedtime for a lot of the characters in this thread. Hopefully mum puts on the highlights while they have their coco pops tomorrow.

But sadly for you the Fulham game was before bedtime so we could all see an ineffectual / injured / fatigued performance from Antonio and his replacement "striker" Yarmolenko stink the place out.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but does anyone think Moyes hasn't been giving Lanzini too many minutes since he broke lockdown rules over Christmas? I don't think he'll be a player Moyes will desperately want to sell, as deep down I actually think Moyes likes him. He really stuck by him even when the fans started to turn on him last season. But like Diangana if we get a good enough offer I don't think he would say no either. Even if he left we still have Fornals and Benrahma. Possibly Lingard too.

What we need to remember about the up and coming summer window is we will lose a large chunk of the budget straightaway if we sign our loan players on permanent deals. Dawson is allegedly lined up for £2.5m-3m and you'd imagine Lingard would cost £10-15m. So straightaway that's already £12m+ of the budget gone.

I certainly think one, if not 2 strikers will be targeted. A central midfielder too and possibly a centre half. I am very intrigued to see whether he decides to give Balbuena a new contract or not. Lots of people talk about Diop possibly going in the summer, but talks of new contracts for Balbuena have really died a death. Which leads me to think Moyes may target another centre half this summer.

I think if Brentford somehow don't get promoted this season we're going to go in again for one of their players. Hence why we gave them Reid. I have a feeling this is our way of buttering them up. We shall see.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

That's all very plausible. I think the big problem they will face in the summer is that they won't find much by way of buyers for the surplus AMs (Lanzini, Anderson, Yarma), so they will end up having to look at selling younger reserve players who will pull in £20m plus. There's only a couple.

Otherwise it will be bargain bucket, Bosmans + loans.

A top 6 finish + Europe next year replenishes the budget.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:53 pm That's all very plausible. I think the big problem they will face in the summer is that they won't find much by way of buyers for the surplus AMs (Lanzini, Anderson, Yarma), so they will end up having to look at selling younger reserve players who will pull in £20m plus. There's only a couple.

Otherwise it will be bargain bucket, Bosmans + loans.
At the moment Lanzini and Anderson are pretty much worthless. (Clubs would we worried about Lanzini's fitness and Anderson has just totally fallen off a cliff in all areas).

I suppose a foreign club might take a punt on Yarmolenko but not for anywhere what we paid. 5m?
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

Lanzini is finished as a first team starter in the premiership

In fact it’s a toss up who to put in first Noble or lanzini if one were needed
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

It was in the news over the last day or two that AVB wanted to sign Lanzini for Marseille, but they got Ntcham instead against his wishes so AVB walked.

I think Lanzini is finished here tbh, especially if Lingard does well.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Kialos wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:51 pm But sadly for you the Fulham game was before bedtime so we could all see an ineffectual / injured / fatigued performance from Antonio and his replacement "striker" Yarmolenko stink the place out.
Let’s hope he doesn’t read this bile eh :thdn:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

An interesting thought experiment is where we'd be in the table had we paid the same club, the same amount of money, and bought Watkins over Benrahma in the summer. Fairly comfortable in suggesting we'd be second, and within touching distance of City.

It always seemed an unusual choice given our needs at the time, which maybe reinforces the conspiracy theory that it was a transfer largely pre-ordained by factors off the field as much as on. If we were scouting in the normal sense of watching Brentford regularly – rather than choosing players off a client list – given his similarities with the running lines of Antonio it's hard to imagine someone recommending we pursue one over the other.

Benrahma is a decent enough player but I'm not sure in a practical sense he's made a blind bit of difference to where we are in the table this season.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Aceface wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:21 pm An interesting thought experiment is where we'd be in the table had we paid the same club, the same amount of money, and bought Watkins over Benrahma in the summer. Fairly comfortable in suggesting we'd be second, and within touching distance of City.

It always seemed an unusual choice given our needs at the time, which maybe reinforces the conspiracy theory that it was a transfer largely pre-ordained by factors off the field as much as on. If we were scouting in the normal sense of watching Brentford regularly – rather than choosing players off a client list – given his similarities with the running lines of Antonio it's hard to imagine someone recommending we pursue one over the other.

Benrahma is a decent enough player but I'm not sure in a practical sense he's made a blind bit of difference to where we are in the table this season.
Yep. I said it at the time and still believe it now that we should've went for Ollie Watkins instead. That's not a dig at Benrahma who as much as I have been a critic of him, he has improved the last couple of games. But Watkins was the player we 'needed' the most. He was the perfect replacement for Antonio. A winger, come striker who will run around, and chip in with goals. If only he was a Salthouse client.

IF Brentford somehow don't get promoted this season, let's see if we have learned our lesson and go in for Ivan Toney.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

It will be interesting to watch Brewsters performances for Sheff Utd between now and the end of the season. He started badly for them, but his improved form has mirrored theirs. They are certain to go down and will be looking to unload a few. His style of play mirrors Antonio.

Toney is a no brainer, he is the best player in the Championship at the moment. But Brentford are almost certain to be promoted and will not want to sell him.

Armstrong is superb, will be a premier league player and could go on to play for England. He has real pace, two great feet and is a natural goalscorer. Only weakness is size and a poor head of hair (the latter could be corrected by surgery). He could end up playing the inside left role like Mane at Liverpool, as Bowen plays the inside right role for us.

All three would suit us and are Moyes style signings. I'm guessing that under Moyes the Unknown Frenchman or Carlos Kickaball are things of the past. Agents must hate it, we have been such a soft target for them and easy source of revenue. I love our new found integrity in this regard, even if it has left the squad a little light in certain areas. But better no one than a bad one.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

I don't think our situation is comparable to Villa's.

They had a payroll of £7m at the end of the 2019 season, ours was £136m.

That's why they've been able to sink £200m+ on fees in about 18 months. We have been in a totally different place , and we're still sitting with £100k a week players who never start.

I don't see where net investment in players is coming from under the current owners unless we really exceed expectation on the pitch and finish high up the league and qualify for Europe.

As Funky's already said, if we make Dawson and Lingard permanent, £15m will have to be spent to start with. The lack of investment dough is Balbuena and Fabianski's best bet of getting a 12 month contract extension too but probably on reduced terms.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:37 am I don't think our situation is comparable to Villa's.

They had a payroll of £7m at the end of the 2019 season, ours was £136m.
£136m on player salaries?
That equates to paying 30 players 90k a week.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

El brooko79 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:42 am £136m on player salaries?
That equates to paying 30 players 90k a week.
No mate, not just basic player salaries.

It includes everyone on the payroll (office staff, team manager + coaches etc) and all the knock on costs -for example, employers national insurance.

Pellegrini was on, what - £5m-£10m a year, allegedly.

This was when Carroll, Arnie, Hernandez etc were all here. My guess is that they have cut it by about £40m since then - but they've also lost all the gate revenue at the same time.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:51 am No mate, not just basic player salaries.

It includes everyone on the payroll (office staff, team manager + coaches etc) and all the knock on costs -for example, employers national insurance.

Pellegrini was on, what - £5m-£10m a year, allegedly.

This was when Carroll, Arnie, Hernandez etc were all here. My guess is that they have cut it by about £40m since then - but they've also lost all the gate revenue at the same time.

Its obscene the about of money we have wasted over the years.
I will say though Villa have had massive investment from their chairman as below

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Well done GSB and Moyes.

Great decision to not bring in a striker or CM :thup:
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Can you still bring in non contracted players?