Masuaku - West Ham’s most skilful ever player?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Masuaku - West Ham’s most skilful ever player?

Post by McKnightmare »

Fully expect to get plenty of flack for this sweeping statement, but hear me out.

Can argue all day about his overall effectiveness and defensive vulnerabilities, but in my 40 or so years (bloody hell!) of watching West Ham I don’t think I’ve seen a more skilful player with the ball at his feet.

Literally every week, something like this happens which will invariably make me laugh.

The way he’ll often get out of a tight spot and make his way past two or three players will often astound me.

I’m old enough to remember Devonshire’s slaloms, and that all too brief Futre masterclass against Southampton. The only player that I think we’ve had that I remember making it look as easy as King Arthur does was Payet.
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 877 likes

Re: Masuaku - West Ham’s most skilful ever player?

Post by mushy »

Di Canio?
McKnightmare

Post by McKnightmare »

mushy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:18 amDi Canio?
Unquestionably the better player overall, but with the ball at his feet and ability to beat a man, I think Arthur is better.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Not a slaloming player I know but Sir Trev would drop a shoulder, beat two men and switch play (to a team mate) in most games. :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Boa Morte?
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

He's the most spittiest player we've had, and yes he does give the ball away, and he can't defend. We brought a left back that can't defend... luckily Moyes has worked this out and found a system that suits both him and Cresswell. But hey, he can do a few stepovers so he must be good.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1091 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Do canio was in a different class to Arthur imo.

Dev, payet, Brady, Joe cole, sir Trev not in any order obviously.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

playing very well in his LWB position. as a LB he is a disaster as a LWB with cresswell at LCB he is very good. we do need cover on that side though. if he is injured we have ben johnson and possibly longello.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Devonshire or Brady.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Futre wasnt bad, or Payet. Thats without thinking
Last edited by honkytonk on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

simple answer, no
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I cannot believe we're at the point where this is a thread.
HammeredWasp

Post by HammeredWasp »

........................or most lucky :D
McKnightmare

Post by McKnightmare »

Tristan Shout wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:40 am https://youtu.be/dEad7nqZt7c
Ha ha - case closed!
anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

McKnightmare wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:16 am Fully expect to get plenty of flack for this sweeping statement, but hear me out.

Can argue all day about his overall effectiveness and defensive vulnerabilities, but in my 40 or so years (bloody hell!) of watching West Ham I don’t think I’ve seen a more skilful player with the ball at his feet.

Literally every week, something like this happens which will invariably make me laugh.

The way he’ll often get out of a tight spot and make his way past two or three players will often astound me.

I’m old enough to remember Devonshire’s slaloms, and that all too brief Futre masterclass against Southampton. The only player that I think we’ve had that I remember making it look as easy as King Arthur does was Payet.
I don't like to be harsh but i think this may be the worst thread I have seen in my 20 years of visiting various West Ham sites.

Masuaku is getting the Christian Dailly, Robert Snodgrass, John Pantsil, Carlton Cole treatment and praise because he is performing competently. The bar is set so low for all of these players that any semblance of competency or ability they are blown up to be club legends.

It's a sad remnant of the Rio Sale, that our supporters are genuinely afraid to support someone who may be good enough to leave but instead feel safe in the knowledge that the likes of Snodgrass and Masuaku wont leave so have to pump them up as soon as they do anything good. It's why the likes of Masuaku, Dailly and Pantsil get songs but our best players no longer do.

You say it yourself he does something to make you laugh i.e you don't think much of him so when he does something good you enjoy it. Lanzini until his injury used to beat players regularly but because he was a great player people are quick to tare him down as soon as he loses form, the bar set for Lanzini was set very high especially after Payet left and you had people saying Lanzini is just as good anyway so was expected to carry us.

If Masuaku doesn't give away a penalty or creates a chance or does a bit of skill people are quick to label him as man of the match. If you want to praise his form for this season I have no problem he still frustrates the hell out of me Sheffield United's best chance of the game come from him giving the ball away with two better options around him.

He later gave the ball away by being easily tackled again ignoring better options. He is nowhere near the most skillful player in West Ham's history even thinking he is, is highly insulting to many superior players.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I've had some bad news yesterday and this thread title has really cheered me up, thanks to the OP! :lol:
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

S-H wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:22 amBoa Morte?
:D
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2691 likes
Total likes: 1787 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

He might be the most skilfully entertaining player we have at West Ham currently , the problem we have is that we lack a player on his wavelength - we had one but he left for China so while we'll still see glimpses of brilliance from Arthur it never amounts to much as there's no one to get on the end of his crosses - would be great if he could score the occasional goal like some great players managed .
McKnightmare

Post by McKnightmare »

Gah.

Some folk just don't appreciate art in its purest form.