Leeds Utd 1-2 West Ham Utd (11/12/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds United v West Ham United: match thread (11/12)

Post by Estuary »

PS- I want the lad to succeed, it would be great for us to have a player the class of which I keep reading about on here, and he is going to play now that Arthur has had his knee op so better everyone here was right and I am wrong, we will see.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:58 am Got a lot of time for Leeds, enjoy watching them play. Their running is/will take a toll on the squad, think we have seen little glimpses of it already.

One thing I noticed was their pitch Friday night, seems a heavy pitch, I know it had had a lot of rain which didn't help. May be worth in them laying down a new pitch for the 2nd half of the season. Or I am completely wrong, either way thought I would mention it :D

Bielsa burn out.

Even some of the fans I know say that lockdown came at the right time last season. They came out of that fresher than they were and secured promotion with relative ease. They have had a couple of blips of form during his time there, injuries and tiredness taking their toll. Has happened at other clubs he has been at too.

The commentators did mention the poor condition of the pitch, you could have a point.

Lot to be said about the demands of the pressing game and high tempo. Liverpool struggle when way off their standard levels. Both our first game this season, Newcastle and the first after lockdown last season, Wolves we were flat and slow, both proved costly.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

Estuary wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:13 pm 4th best!! He is supposed to be the man, how would it be if Ogbonna was the 4th best at defending!!
If Ogbonna was our 4th best at defending we would have a world class defence! :D

(I get where you're coming from re Benrahma, though)
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:51 am That Meslier looks like a good keeper in waiting, only 20.
Agree with this YH.

I'd say it was thanks to him Leeds kept it down to two; he even got a hand to and dare I say should have saved Soucek's goal. I reckon there'll be a few clubs circling for his signature if it goes tits up for them and they go back down......even if they don't for that matter!
Graza

Post by Graza »

Estuary wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:13 pm 4th best!! He is supposed to be the man, how would it be if Ogbonna was the 4th best at defending!!
In fairness, 1st was Noble with 2 passes and 100% completion.

3rd of players with significant pitch time is a truer reflection...
Billydinho wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:59 am Really? I've always thought he's looked too lightweight. Our first goal was a bit embarrassing for him too.
Not great for our first, but in terms of positioning/momentum no worse than Fabinaksi for their second pen. He also made what was probably a harder save from Balbuena in the second half.

I do agree he could do with some meat on him, but should Leeds go down there would be no shortage of suiters for his signature and I'd want us to be looking at him.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Graza wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:27 pm
I do agree he could do with some meat on him...
He's 20 FFS.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Billydinho wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:59 am Really? I've always thought he's looked too lightweight. Our first goal was a bit embarrassing for him too.
I think he needs some experience - he's only 20, and is developing. Bielsa's put trust in him because of his form in the last 10-11 games of last season, I think, after Casilla got banned, and he's making a lot of good saves in games.

A season or two of experience will see him become a much better keeper - I just hope he gets it. He's impressing me more than Pickford did at Sunderland that one season, to think of an example of a similar profile keeper that got plaudits. The basics are there for him to develop into a very good keeper with a bit of time.

I'd say that our first goal was pretty hard as he's going the wrong way and Soucek heads it back across him from short range.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Vic_Watson wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:51 pm He's 20 FFS.
He is, and he's a decent keeper, not just for his age but a decent keeper. De Gea had the same thing laid at his feet and while he has never been a man mountain he worked on his physical conditioning and is far more physically suited to our game now - https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... ightweight

He looks like he's got all the attributes to be one of the best around but it depends on how he develops. Kasper Schmeichel is a good goalkeeper who for a while looked like he could be more. Joe Hart, well no one predicted the fall from grace he would have. So who knows, but he probably does need to look at adding a bit of muscle if he wants to be one of the best and at 20 he should have the potential to do so.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

You have to factor in, for that rookie keeper, that the defence in front of him is all a bit shakin stevens anyway.

I think he's raw, but that he's their best performer, in defence. How he saved that Balb's bullet with one hand, I will never know. There was about .25 second reaction time
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

^^ That was a cracking save.

I think the boy has a really bright future, he has some way to go though. What is it, 25ish that keepers really find who they are, possibly older.