Issa Diop

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Re: Issa Diop

Post by Sticky »

Controversial opinion maybe - but Diop would have benefitted from a Platoon/Scum style ragging.

Should have put bars of soap in socks and beaten him in the shower. Toughened him up.

Na, he is a good player - but I just can't fathom how someone that big can lack aggression.

Then again, I can't fathom how someone that tall can misread the flight of the ball so badly too.

Shame - I am sure we all thought he was gonna turn into a beast, just didn't happen.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:50 pm We should have bought him in the future instead then. He's been very poor value for money. He has not improved one bit. Maybe even regressed a little.
Well part of it is he's a player whose skillset is in setting up high, pressing, playing on the ground and making passes upfield when we turn defense into attack. We did that his first year and people were talking about offers twice what we paid. Then we shifted to asking our CBs to play deep, handle the ball in the air, sit behind essentially two DM and play counter... that's not what he's good at.

Diop to me was the clearest casualty of the manager change, he played very well under Pelle, and not as well under Moyes.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

When he first signed he looked inexperienced but with a lot of potential, so big clubs thought he might be worth a punt if he matched this potential.

Unfortunately he’s not moved forward, still looks the same player as when he joined, albeit with a bit less confidence.

I’ll be interested to see how he gets on at Fulham, but suspect he’ll look generally ok but with a mistake every few games.

Finally, whilst players like Diop and Vlasic haven’t been great, I’d still have held on to them with the long season ahead. It’s like we’re determined to make sure we end up with an injury crisis at some point!
Bond Holder 59+
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59+ »

Paolopaul wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:58 am ………..
Finally, whilst players like Diop and Vlasic haven’t been great, I’d still have held on to them with the long season ahead. It’s like we’re determined to make sure we end up with an injury crisis at some point!
Hi PP, understand your concern re injury crisis, but I guess the damage two unhappy squad members could do to squad morale is immense. They both want to be starting, understandable given their age and experience, and so Moyes probably had little choice but to hold the door open.

Being under contract isn’t the handcuffs you would imagine.

We do need quality though, so likely to restart the game of international potential becoming the answer to our defensive prayers, or ….repeat process and try again.
👍🇨🇿🇮🇹🤞
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Cellar-door wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:25 pm Well part of it is he's a player whose skillset is in setting up high, pressing, playing on the ground and making passes upfield when we turn defense into attack. We did that his first year and people were talking about offers twice what we paid. Then we shifted to asking our CBs to play deep, handle the ball in the air, sit behind essentially two DM and play counter... that's not what he's good at.

Diop to me was the clearest casualty of the manager change, he played very well under Pelle, and not as well under Moyes.
You'd expect that playing under Moyes would be 'simpler' demanding him to just do the basics as playing a high line requires superior timing and generally being better technically. If is wasn't gonna learn to do it after all this time, it's unlikely he would develop those skills, ever. And if he did eventually learn how to defend, well, it's a lot of time and money to splash out for someone to learn, not to mention the club's missed opportunities in getting better results.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Good luck Issa.

:newthumb:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

In my humble opinion, I'm not entirely sure getting rid of him is the greatest idea that we've had. he was excellent in the run-up to lockdown, then got covid, and his form suffered. He was just starting to show a bit of the form that made me like him in the first place at the back-end of last season - and that performance against Lyon was as good as textbook.

I'm a bit disappointed he's gone tbh, and as per, he was not as bad as people made him out to be.

I await the Kidderminster comments.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I wish him all the best, definitely not as bad as made out but he’s also not good enough for a side aiming to finish top 8 every season consistently.

I hope he does well for Fulham.
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by SiO »

I happen to concur DL... I think as a 4th or 5th choice when everyone's got, he is very decent. I recognise the chat will be that he was one who is sellable and surplus, but I just think that he'd be called upon more regularly.... For those bringing up Kidderminster, I've seen dozens of horrendous performances against lesser opposition in the cup and from home grown players who were accustomed to how lower leagues get at you. I still remember Torquay.

I wish you well Issa.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Thing is, nobody wants to stay and be 4th choice do they? He probably wanted the move more than anyone else to be honest.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

SiO wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:15 pm I happen to concur DL...
He's one of those players whose form improves when he gets a decent run in the side.

He'll do well at Fulham, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a bigger move in a couple of years.
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

If they get the Diop that Mourinho called a 'monster' they've had a steal

There is a proper player in there IMO and would rather him than some of the unknown names linked from the Turkish Leagues
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

I had high hopes at the outset, but it never really worked out.

Good luck Issa, and thanks.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Wish him well . He wants to play, can't knock that !

Who we replace him with now is the question
SiO

Post by SiO »

-DL- wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:16 pm He's one of those players whose form improves when he gets a decent run in the side.
As opposed to the many through our ranks who's reputation improves the longer they've been unable to play! I also expect a bigger move down the line. I'm just unsure how an undrr contract player wasn't held onto the minute Aguerd got injured, with Oggy still out, and Issa himself playing well recently. He might not be top 8 material but neither are we now in those echelons as a matter of course.

Anyhow, I'll keep an eye on his career when I remember to!
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

-DL- wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:10 pm
In my humble opinion, I'm not entirely sure getting rid of him is the greatest idea that we've had. he was excellent in the run-up to lockdown, then got covid, and his form suffered. He was just starting to show a bit of the form that made me like him in the first place at the back-end of last season - and that performance against Lyon was as good as textbook.

I'm a bit disappointed he's gone tbh, and as per, he was not as bad as people made him out to be.

I await the Kidderminster comments.
I agree DL.
Thought he was good to have around the place, always smiling and joking.
All the best Issa.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

The fact his contract was running down meant the opportunity to sell him for a reasonable fee would be dwindling. If we gave him a new contract extension it would be for a greater sum than what he is already on. Any contract extension would have to include a pay rise if I remember correctly.

I'm not afraid to sell players. If we have some semblance of a plan to replace with similar or better. If similar, I would hope its for cheaper and/or younger.
SiO

Post by SiO »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:31 pm The fact his contract was running down meant the opportunity to sell him for a reasonable fee would be dwindling. If we gave him a new contract extension it would be for a greater sum than what he is already on. Any contract extension would have to include a pay rise if I remember correctly.

I'm not afraid to sell players. If we have some semblance of a plan to replace with similar or better. If similar, I would hope its for cheaper and/or younger.
Yeah good point on the first paragraph Lasagne... I'm less confident on your second paragraph mind. I guess we will see.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Weren't Moyes player to begin with and it never really felt like they completely saw eye to eye and it showed even at the end of his time here, happy to move on to Fulham as he couldn't be arsed with another bit part season. He also came across as a decent, grounded chap too.

Our loss is Fulhams gain and for £15m, they've got him cheap.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Wish him well, he wants to play and he should secure a place at Fulham ahead of Ream. It's a good move for him I feel.

He'd be a starter here now too currently, and who knows, could have reignited his career a bit in the process but it's clear Moyes doesn't trust or rate him too highly. That relationship was well and truly broken. A bit like our defence itself right now :shocker: