Issa Diop

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Re: Issa Diop

Post by hammers92 »

Macca1973 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:33 pm We knew in November that Ogbonna was out for the season so we had three centre backs for three competitions. So from 1st February onwards it wasn’t bad luck it was bad planning!
I also think there was a part of the club that probably thought we wouldn't have got this far into the Europa as well.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Pob, I don’t think your comment is unfair, maybe I am being overly critical. I just think not making any signings in January was always going to leave us short, and contrary to some posters thinking we’ve been unlucky in losing the centre backs I actually think we’ve been incredibly lucky to not lose Rice or Antonio for significant time considering the amount of games they’ve played.

Regarding Diop, it’s such a shame for him after a couple of really good performances.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Back on topic, I feel really bad for Diop. Not only because he’s going to miss out on some big games, but he was also putting together a nice little run since his disastrous performance away at Kidderminster. He was playing really well. Arguably a MOTM contender against Lyon.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1497 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

funky chicken wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:42 pm In the Brentford match thread you was whining about the fact we have a ‘thread bare squad’. And asking another member of the forum “Who are these squad players you speak of”. So how could we do what you suggested of ‘wrapping players up in cotton wool’ if we have no ‘squad players’? :D
We found plenty for the dead rubber final group game.

He should have found them in January too. That's his job right?

He doesn't take all the blame. The other 3 scumbags are as guilty.
Misko
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 1387 likes

Post by Misko »

The Spanish site todofichajes (which is mostly click bait, I think, if anyone can confirm) mentions advanced talks between WHU and OL for the player, for an estimated fee of €14M. I don't know what to think of all this.

https://todofichajes.com/el-olympique-d ... issa-diop/
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Misko wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:44 pm The Spanish site todofichajes (which is mostly click bait, I think, if anyone can confirm) mentions advanced talks between WHU and OL for the player, for an estimated fee of €14M. I don't know what to think of all this.

https://todofichajes.com/el-olympique-d ... issa-diop/

He can be prone to the occasional lapse in concentration, but normally, it is only occasional, he has by far more decent matches than poor one's. Personally, I would be sad to see him leave, he's been by far and away, one of our better signings, amongst a whole plethora of questionable over by our self esteemed guru of the transfer market. I think he would be an absolute beast for you in the centre of your defence
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4394 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Standard saying 8 weeks - ankle ligaments. Apologies if I'm repeating this.
Misko

Post by Misko »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:02 pm He can be prone to the occasional lapse in concentration, but normally, it is only occasional, he has by far more decent matches than poor one's. Personally, I would be sad to see him leave, he's been by far and away, one of our better signings, amongst a whole plethora of questionable over by our self esteemed guru of the transfer market. I think he would be an absolute beast for you in the centre of your defence
The point is that from what I know of him, I am really not convinced he is a good fit for the way we play. He was impressive last Thursday but in a defensive line playing low on the field. In this context, and like he was doing at Toulouse, he seems very good.

But most of the time, he would have to play completely differently here, Bosz being said to remain manager next year. We need a guy with great skills in positioning, concentration and anticipation as the defensive line would be high on the pitch with high risks of counter attacks from the opponents. Pace would also be more than welcome. All these requirements don't make think of Diop as a first choice, as good as he can be.

It happened more than once that we recruited a guy after an outstanding performance against us without any deep reflection about the real needs of the team. Something tells me it would be happening again with Diop.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1856 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Misko wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:50 pm The point is that from what I know of him, I am really not convinced he is a good fit for the way we play. He was impressive last Thursday but in a defensive line playing low on the field. In this context, and like he was doing at Toulouse, he seems very good.

But most of the time, he would have to play completely differently here, Bosz being said to remain manager next year. We need a guy with great skills in positioning, concentration and anticipation as the defensive line would be high on the pitch with high risks of counter attacks from the opponents. Pace would also be more than welcome. All these requirements don't make think of Diop as a first choice, as good as he can be.

It happened more than once that we recruited a guy after an outstanding performance against us without any deep reflection about the real needs of the team. Something tells me it would be happening again with Diop.
The counter argument to that would be that he was very good most of his first season here playing under Pellegrini when we played a much higher line in defence. His performances tailed off with the rest of the team in the 2nd season and he's never really fit what Moyes wants from a first choice defender.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

To be honest it's a miracle where we are now with a thin and ageing squad.

January. For me a horrendous and complete utter failure by Moyes and the owners.
Misko

Post by Misko »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:12 pm The counter argument to that would be that he was very good most of his first season here playing under Pellegrini when we played a much higher line in defence. His performances tailed off with the rest of the team in the 2nd season and he's never really fit what Moyes wants from a first choice defender.
Ah, this is very interesting indeed. I didn't know he did well under Pellegrini here. What was asked from him then is probably close to what would be expected in Lyon. Thank you!
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

bad news as it goes, surely Krall could do a job there I don't know what the contract situation is/was with him but I'm sure he played CB for his previous club/ Opportunity is knocking on his door time for him to stand up and be counted. Or drop Declan to CB and put Krall in the DM position. Just a thought people just a thought.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:40 pm I also think there was a part of the club that probably thought we wouldn't have got this far into the Europa as well.
That'd be madness. We've always had a good opportunity in this competition. Far more chance of us to do well in this competition than either the league cup or FA cup imo.
e17
Has liked: 286 likes
Total likes: 961 likes

Post by e17 »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:15 pm To be honest it's a miracle where we are now with a thin and ageing squad.

January. For me a horrendous and complete utter failure by Moyes and the owners.
Spot on
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

Had Zouma not been close to fitness then we would have signed someone. Sadly we put our eggs in one basket and have now been found wanting.

Feel sorry for Diop, just when he seemed to be finding a bit of confidence and form back he ends up getting injured. Hopefully he comes back stronger and it isn't as serious as speculated
OFT
Has liked: 3224 likes
Total likes: 1845 likes

Post by OFT »

funky chicken wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:10 pm Back on topic, I feel really bad for Diop. Not only because he’s going to miss out on some big games, but he was also putting together a nice little run since his disastrous performance away at Kidderminster. He was playing really well. Arguably a MOTM contender against Lyon.
Yep, really bad luck for the lad as well as the team in general.
Boleyn_Hammer
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by Boleyn_Hammer »

He has just posted a photo of him in New York to go with the one of him in Miami a few days back.

So it would seem he is either posting delayed photos from his holiday in the off season or he is out there now and on strike/been told to stay away by the club.

:eh:
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4271 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

We need to snap someone’s hands off for £20m whilst we have the chance.

There are tons of CBs we can get into replicate his ability for much less. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few that are currently free.

He really is not a good defender.
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2053 likes

Post by Shabu »

Boleyn_Hammer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:59 pm He has just posted a photo of him in New York to go with the one of him in Miami a few days back.

So it would seem he is either posting delayed photos from his holiday in the off season or he is out there now and on strike/been told to stay away by the club.

The Daily Mail approved this message
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Boleyn_Hammer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:59 pm He has just posted a photo of him in New York to go with the one of him in Miami a few days back.

Wasn't he doing something on social media with Zouma the other day, so it looks like he's at the club .