Issa Diop

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Re: Issa Diop

Post by mattyD »

Oh bollox. Johnson left CB.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:11 am Think Ex put an update on his Patreon that he's got an Achilles tendon injury, fears it could put him out for the rest of the season
Chance for Baptiste to show what he can do. I'm sure ha won't let us down
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

This is tough on Issa personally. I know he's made mistakes but he's also been excellent at times. And I always get the sense that he puts all his heart into his football. This was going to be a great opportunity for him to show what he's made of at a crucial time in a great season. I feel sorry for the guy. A real cloud over his future.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3177 likes
Total likes: 2316 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Genuinely never heard of a player being out for that long from a kick to the back of the ankle. The injury's obviously legit, but that doesn't sound like the likely origin of it to me.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1366 likes
Total likes: 984 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

The Guardian report up to 8 weeks with ligament damage but I guess we'll have to see.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

:film:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I know Moyes will be defended to the hilt, but this situation we find ourselves in with CB is on him.

A priority should have been wrapping players up in cotton wool for games like Brentford and Burnley. Now we've lost two key players in the space of a couple of weeks and now scrabbling around for a replacement CB.

What's done is done now. :thdn:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm I know Moyes will be defended to the hilt, but this situation we find ourselves in with CB is on him.

A priority should have been wrapping players up in cotton wool for games like Brentford and Burnley. Now we've lost two key players in the space of a couple of weeks and now scrabbling around for a replacement CB.

So who were we playing at Center back in those games to avoid injuries?

And when Zouma isn't match fit because we're wrapping him in cotton wool how does that impact his performance against Lyon and Frankfurt?
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1773 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I think there’s a valid debate on both sides surrounding another striker and whether we should’ve just brought “a body” in. However I think at the back we’ve just had some rotten luck.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Yeah. Four senior centre backs isn't exactly "bare bones". One senior CF who may or may not be an actual CF (depends on your view) clearly is.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

I’m gutted for the lad, really felt he would come into his own with a run in the team - shitty luck. Forget Alise, far too inexperienced for such a huge game.
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm I know Moyes will be defended to the hilt, but this situation we find ourselves in with CB is on him.

I disagree 100%. I don't even think it is a David Moyes thing or that I need to defend him. Who do you wrap up? Rice, Antonio, Bowen<? If you had wrapped up either CH on Sunday, I think you would have chosen Dawson anyhow. We are still playing for Top 6 position and (IMO) have to put out our best sides between now and the end of the season, come what may. Its just shitty luck and Coaching staff now have to find a solution. Its what they are paid for.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm A priority should have been wrapping players up in cotton wool for games like Brentford and Burnley. Now we've lost two key players in the space of a couple of weeks and now scrabbling around for a replacement CB.

In the Brentford match thread you was whining about the fact we have a ‘thread bare squad’. And asking another member of the forum “Who are these squad players you speak of”. So how could we do what you suggested of ‘wrapping players up in cotton wool’ if we have no ‘squad players’? :D
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Now THIS is the West Ham we all know and love, right? :)
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:17 pm So who were we playing at Center back in those games to avoid injuries?

And when Zouma isn't match fit because we're wrapping him in cotton wool how does that impact his performance against Lyon and Frankfurt?
You can’t keep jumping on anyone who critics Moyes for not buying a centre back in January. We were down to three senior centre backs while still in three competitions on January 1st. Whether you like it or not it was completely boneheaded not to at least loan one in January and I don’t want to hear ‘who?’ or ‘none were available’, that’s his job to find one!
El brooko79
Has liked: 3015 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Macca1973 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:58 pm We were down to three senior centre backs while still in three competitions on January 1st.
Actually Zouma was still injured till mid Jan, so at that point we were down to 2 senior CBs.

Yes we should have got someone.
Not easy though.
But it's bloody unlucky to have just 3 injured players and all three are in the same position. Some things you can't legislate for.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Macca1973 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:58 pm You can’t keep jumping on anyone who critics Moyes for not buying a centre back in January. We were down to three senior centre backs while still in three competitions on January 1st. Whether you like it or not it was completely boneheaded not to at least loan one in January and I don’t want to hear ‘who?’ or ‘none were available’, that’s his job to find one!
The poster I replied to hadn't even mentioned January. They were suggesting we stop playing our first team players in the league which is nonsense.

If it's Moyes' job so we can't speculate on available targets we may as well close the forum. No point suggesting starting 11s or who replaces Diop, that's Moyes' job.

Would we have been able to find a defender better than Dawson on loan in January? No. They wouldn't be available on loan. Phillips went to Bournemouth which shows you how highly rated he must be.

It's such a stick to beat Moyes with, we have 4 first team center backs, the same as any other club with an exception to those who have discovered youth players this season like Trevor Chalobah, had we signed a permanent defender we'd be stuck with 5 taking up valuable wage budget next season.
Pob!
Has liked: 1062 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

Macca1973 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:58 pm You can’t keep jumping on anyone who critics Moyes for not buying a centre back in January. We were down to three senior centre backs while still in three competitions on January 1st. Whether you like it or not it was completely boneheaded not to at least loan one in January and I don’t want to hear ‘who?’ or ‘none were available’, that’s his job to find one!
4 interchangeable players to cover 2 places should be more than enough, it's just rotten luck we have had 3 players in the same position all have proper injuries, (not just knocks) one season ending..
The same argument could be said if we lost Rice Tommy and Pablo at the same time ..

Injuries spread throughout the squad is what having a "squad" is for so unless you are part of the elite then anything after the first 16 names on the team sheet will be junior squad members yes, we should of added to our squad in January however I don't think a center half at the time was a priority.
Last edited by Pob! on Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

We knew in November that Ogbonna was out for the season so we had three centre backs for three competitions. So from 1st February onwards it wasn’t bad luck it was bad planning!
Pob!
Has liked: 1062 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

Macca1973 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:33 pm We knew in November that Ogbonna was out for the season so we had three centre backs for three competitions. So from 1st February onwards it wasn’t bad luck it was bad planning!
Can't agree with you there, even 3 center halves with another squad member LB, RB, stepping up temporarily should be enough...

Moyes has worked wonders with this squad so to beat with your particular stick in my mind is being overly critical and pretty unfair.

:eyes: