Issa Diop

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Re: Issa Diop

Post by sutts07 »

Taking the John Paintsil career path.
Shame as he showed so much potential initially.

Oh well, thanks and goodbye.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

TBh this can easily be portrayed as diop saying he is unwilling to be played but could also just as easily be west ham cant play him because a deal has been agreed and it falls through if he is injured. I think we will just have to let him go now whether we have a replacement or not.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Bit sad really.

Looked like a proper investment in our future, and he had a good first season alongside Balbuena. But then came that period in 2019 when we were conceding three on the weekly, and ultimately Moyes has made heavy and ongoing investment in the centre of defence, while also trusting heavily in Oggy.

Played over 100 times for us, scored some goals, and it appears with a year left on his deal we will release the remaining equity with add ons.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:30 pm TBh this can easily be portrayed as diop saying he is unwilling to be played but could also just as easily be west ham cant play him because a deal has been agreed and it falls through if he is injured.
100%

Moyes did seem to suggest it was Diop not making himself available but it could be a mutually agreed stance. Whichever, there is absolutely no reason to delay selling him now.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Het-Field wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 pm Bit sad really.

Looked like a proper investment in our future, and he had a good first season alongside Balbuena. But then came that period in 2019 when we were conceding three on the weekly, and ultimately Moyes has made heavy and ongoing investment in the centre of defence, while also trusting heavily in Oggy.

Played over 100 times for us, scored some goals, and it appears with a year left on his deal we will release the remaining equity with add ons.
I thought a partnership between him and zouma could have been the way forward but it wasn't really tried much. Younger and french etc
Copper Bottom
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Copper Bottom »

westlondonhammer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:27 pm If the management thought they could get Oggy back to full fitness they wouldn't have re-signed him...and knowing the man he is i doubt he would have signed an extension if he didnt think he could get back to fitness either.

This is also ignoring the fact that Johnson did well today.
No ideal if your only cover for both FB positions is arguably also your best LB, your best RB defensively and one of your only two fit CBs!

I was wondering what the deal was with Ogbonna. Anyone knows what is usual?

One year contract at £20k p/w, rising to normal wages when he's fully fit? I'd guess this is the sort of deal that would be fair on both parties.

One year contract with normal wages?

One year contract with normal wages but West Ham can rip it up with no notice if he fails to regain fitness?
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

A shame but he never really convinced. Never seen such a tall CB mis-time headers so much.

Hopefully we have replacements lined up immediately.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

ironilunga wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 pm 100%

Moyes did seem to suggest it was Diop not making himself available but it could be a mutually agreed stance. Whichever, there is absolutely no reason to delay selling him now.
Moyes probably asked him if he'd play one last time even though the deal was set, and he declined, which sadly he probably should do. It's a business, and if he injures himself doing us a final favor his deal falls through, and with it the new contract and a lot of money. It's rare that players who are close to a deal are played, usually the club wouldn't want it either since you could lose the fee you expected (and have to pay salary to an injured player), but we are in a tough spot with health.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Oh well, ciao
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

OK, nobody can forsee an injury crisis, but we do seem to drama out of them. Apparently, Moyes told him, he would only be 5th choice in defence this year, he understandably got the hump about this and as a result, with talks under way with Fulham, ruled himself out of contention. OK nobody can predict these things, but you don't see other clubs land themselves in this sort of conundrum. At least, I don't know of any
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Subbed against Kidderminster Harriers at half time.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

He gone yet?
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:23 pm Subbed against Kidderminster Harriers at half time.
I think that match may well have marked his exit card.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1372 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

I think he’s halfway out the door which is a real shame. I still maintain he may make it at another top flight club. Centre backs don’t normally peak until, what ?, 28-30 ? We’ll see.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:27 am I think he’s halfway out the door which is a real shame. I still maintain he may make it at another top flight club. Centre backs don’t normally peak until, what ?, 28-30 ? We’ll see.
If he had a longer contract I'd agree, but this is likely the only window we'd have a chance to sell him in.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:27 am I think he’s halfway out the door which is a real shame. I still maintain he may make it at another top flight club. Centre backs don’t normally peak until, what ?, 28-30 ? We’ll see.
We should have bought him in the future instead then. He's been very poor value for money. He has not improved one bit. Maybe even regressed a little.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1194 likes
Total likes: 937 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Good luck to him, I always thought he tried his best but just wasn't quite good enough. Still, it's another one of Sullivan's signings out the door :fingerr:
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

Oh well, never mind, what a shame.

It'll be interesting to see if he starts regularly and where it leaves their other centre backs. They've brought in Shane Duffy on loan, plus they still have Adarabioyo and Ream from last season. Unless they're going with three centre backs?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Goodbyeeee Don't Cryeeee
Wipe a tear baby dear from your eyeeee
Though it's hard to part I know
I'd be tickled to death to go
Goodbyeeee Don't sigheeee
There's a silver lining in the skyeeee
Bonsoir old thing
Cheerio chin chin
Nah poodle dah dah dah
Goodbyeee
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

I reckon he will nail down a place in their team, Ream is up there with the Roger Johnson's of this world at this level.

Diop had his failings but was nowhere near as bad he is often made out. He stepped up again late last season when he was needed too. Still relatively young too, I'm just surprised he's not made his way back to France