Chelsea 3-0 West Ham Utd (21/12/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Re: ⚽ Chelsea v West Ham United: match thread (21/12)

Post by Coops »

Vic_Watson wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:21 pm How much did Kovacic cost? Probably less than Jorginho who he replaced (and who was having a stinker). You just don't see Moyes making any kind of dynamic subs when it is clear that things aren`t going as planned.
To be fair Moyes doesn't have a lot of options. I'm sure he would have loved to bring a super sub striker off of the bench.
Dave Hedgehog
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

The most disappointing thing about last night is I thought Chelsea were there for the taking. We controlled the game for long parts of the first half, but lacked the cutting edge a more attack-minded team would have had.

We didn't play badly overall, they just took their chances and we got unlucky with a couple of decisions.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Vic_Watson wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:02 pm But made proactive changes to get more goals.

£40m Kovacic, £90m Havertz and a £25m back up left back were his choice of subs. His in form World Cup winning striker didn’t play a minute. Meanwhile, Moyes had no more CM options, no more actual strikers and our LB isn’t even much good at LB. He had 2 goalkeepers to choose from though...we were on top for most of the 2nd half and he brought on Benrahma which was the right thing to do. I’m sure he’d have loved to be able to replace Haller or bring on Lanzini, but he didn’t have those options. A lot easier for Lampard to be proactive with a £200m bench. No Watford loanee CB’s for him to use...
Last edited by il_martello_di_genovesi on Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graza

Post by Graza »

honkytonk wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:56 pm Only reason they scored was because a couple of our players had stopped playing as the ball was off. FWIW, my own view. Bowen did catch him, no matter how much of a meal was made, and I dont think Fabs can have any complaints about the 3rd either.
I thought there was a touch in there:

Maybe not? But I've said on penalty decisions and I think it's right to say in this instance, football is not a non contact sport. Refs need to decide if excessive force has been used, if it's deliberate and if the player has overreacted.

For me he's gone down because he can see he's overrun the ball.

I don't think it is a foul on Fab, but if Bowens was (it wasn't) then you have to give the other one. If Fab had clutched his leg and screamed like Grealish he'd have got the foul, it disgusts me, but that's the game these days.
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

jacko wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:56 pm No shots on target..All huff and puff but no punch.
I suppose the two disallowed goals glossed over that fact for me as I'm still struggling to believe we lost, especially as the whore's were in bits defensively.........
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

As I've already said, that dive last evening was as bad as Wilson's vs Fulham.

We can't go on like this.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Humbug »

Did the back of Silva's heel contact Bowens knee ? Can't be sure and nor can VAR , therefore goal.

I think the offside rule should be based on foot contact with ground because its really difficult for forwards to get that momentum going without leaning forwards and pushing off the feet (would make things a lot fairer and give the benefit of doubt for an attacking incentive).
Xabbu
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:52 am We may complain about VAR and the quality of Refereeing but, bloody hell, the quality of football commentary and punditry is absolutely awful. It is so biased and moronic it is cringeworthy. The top teams either play fantastic or poorly. The other team? Well I have no idea because obviously they have no effect on the result/performance at all.

Last night was a prime example. It was all about Chelsea getting their mojo back. When West Ham got into the game (even dominating it for large sections) it was all about Chelsea letting it slip, relaxing too much etc. Bowen's disallowed goal? Just one of those things even though no-one had any idea why it wasn't given or why the referee was whistle happy. Half time review? Laughable. If you just switched on you would have no idea who Chelsea were playing. Full time, relief all around Chelsea back in gear with their mojo back. Great stuff Frank, how wonderful. Bowen's goal? Still no idea, but hey at least it wasn't a disallowed Chelsea goal otherwise we would still be analysing it and how poor old Frank was robbed.
Crikey, its so bad it makes my eyes and ears bleed.
This for me. Utter disgrace, impartiality non existent
Xabbu
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Humbug wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:15 pm Did the back of Silva's heel contact Bowens knee ? Can't be sure and nor can VAR , therefore goal.

I think the offside rule should be based on foot contact with ground because its really difficult for forwards to get that momentum going without leaning forwards and pushing off the feet (would make things a lot fairer and give the benefit of doubt for an attacking incentive).
But the problem is he blew. So he decided foul so who says “it’s clear and obvious” and therein lies why so called big club bias can never be eliminated using VAR.
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

The ref gave them everything last night. Apart from the goals, there was the back pass, and countless throws, corners and free kicks. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but it's a conspiracy.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Coops wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:41 pm The ref gave them everything last night. Apart from the goals, there was the back pass, and countless throws, corners and free kicks. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but it's a conspiracy.
My 7 year old daughter asked why that backpass wasn't given... 7.

In fairness I thought he just stuck a leg out, he had no intention of actually pass that ball to the keeper he was just trying to stop it getting to Rice. There were a number of 50/50 decisions which were hard to see at full speed, we got none of them.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

I think we're clutching at straws if we reckon that was a back pass. Can you imagine the reaction if it had been given against us?

Fact is, they were better in both boxes than us. They created more opportunities despite the fact that we controlled the midfield for long spells. Possession as has been shown countless times, is not always important.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we were hampered by having no striker and no proper left back. coming back to bite us.
cresswell has been superb in a three and should only play there where he gets great crosses in as well. he is no longer a PL standard left back and shouldnt play there or LWB. until masuaka comes back or we sign someone we will need to play johnson or longello there.

haller - we just need to get rid and get someone who can move, trap a ball and hold off defenders plus score a few tap ins as moyes has alluded to. josh king cant be worse , can he ?
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Humbug wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:15 pm I think the offside rule should be based on foot contact with ground because its really difficult for forwards to get that momentum going without leaning forwards and pushing off the feet (would make things a lot fairer and give the benefit of doubt for an attacking incentive).
I agree. No more offside arms or noses.