Grow 2021-24

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Re: Grow 2021/2

Post by vietnammer »

Thought I'd knackered the raspberries this year by cutting them too late (Feb) and too short.
Discovered today that they have become.e 'late' raspberries and there's a plentiful crop developing to go with the blackberries. :scarfer:
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

jevs wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:36 pm Plenty still to sow RS.....quick growing salad crops such as lettuce, rocket, turnips, carrots, swede, beetroot, spring onions, spinach, dwarf french beans can all be given a chance. I'd even consider bunging in a maincrop potato such as King Edwards in containers.

Once you get to October, it'll be time to get autumn garlic, onions and shallots in.
100% ^^
and as ever (yawn) .... 3/4th week of Aug sow overwintering Japanese onions (Senshuyi) if you miss them plant them as sets in late Sept. These will be ready 6 weeks before next year's main crop ( mine have been harvested since 2nd week of June and though they don't keep like main crop, they will keep until the main crop are ready in a week or so, and any remaining get diced and thrown in the freezer). Any onion you buy in June will be expensive/crap/from abroad/probably all three, so they don't just taste good, they give you a warm glow of smugness as you tread the environmental high ground........
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Thank I've harvested a few more of the blighted spuds l got abt a dozen lovely Charlotte's under each of them
Sowed year round cauliflower and spinach on sat that should do me .
Tempted by more spuds but want to blitz this blighted ground by giving it a proper turn over in the autumn.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Well thanks to your guys I know what eat my sprouts and Brocilli - white butterflies.

They infested my greenhouse, but I have managed to flush them out and also make the conditions in the greehouse so inhospitible to them (it was like a sauna in there: i sprayed the ground with water and shut the doors) they should not come back. I've not had one in my greenhouse for over a week now.

Everything is back to normal: In the gh, the Romana toms are especially abundant, other cherry and yellow toms not so much. Mushy 1 is growing well and has a little tom on it, Mushy 2 died and Mushy 3 is out in the allotment surviving. Lavender still coming on, chilli's have white flowers and they mysterious plants and growing like hell - someone said they might be Asparagus!!!

In the ground the new potatoes are delivering well (and are lovely) the onions are OK but a bit small (but powerful), The Curly Kale is verdant as are the squashes - even the rocket is growing outside.

Plum tree No 1 has finished (the plums were great!) but plum tree no 2 is coming into fruit. Both apple trees are delivering lovely big tasty apples and the pear tree has pears but they are hard at the touch atm.

Flowers - roses are doing well again - white pink, red, orange - and I've manded to halt and almost top the black spot. The front lavender is doing great, the Hosters are dying off now as are the carnations, bluebells and Foxgloves. I've got loads of stuff that is still blooming but I have no idea for the life of me what they are!

A few questions:

What vegtable gives a lovely purple flower please? The rain has washed off the sticker and I have no idea what it is?

How do I know when it's time to harvest Squash please? Mine have taken over the allotment, with masive green, prickly squareish leaves?

TYIA WHUI
rigoberts song

Post by rigoberts song »

Right the secret to onions down here anyway and mine have been great is
water twice a day
Get coffee dregs from your local coffee shop sprinkle near the base then water, this puts loads of nitrogen into the soil which they love.
Also spooning (not my usual that I'm normally in trouble for !) this involves gently moving soil away from the sides but not going near the root.
This allows sideways growth mine are massive as a result.Happy onioning.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Indy,
Purple flowers.... Aubergine? (dull green, papery leaf) Artichoke? (tall, substantial plant, large deeply cut leaves, like a big thistle)
Most squash (pumpkins etc,) keep for ages, I know quite a few gardeners leave it till the first frost kills off the greenery(you then often find ones you didn't know you had!). I'd leave them till late Sept, after all they're there to feed you in winter, so be patient.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Those purple flowers could also be tattys... Maris Pipers possibly.
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Most things have produced well this year but the one thing ive been absolutely amaized with is the cauliflower. I only grew 5 but every one of them has produced a huge head. The only thing ive done with them is to net them. They've not been watered except when young and no feed either....i just let them get on with it.
The Broccoli and sprouts are looking good too....same treatment.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

WHU Independent wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:37 pm
Everything is back to normal: In the gh, the Romana toms are especially abundant, other cherry and yellow toms not so much. Mushy 1 is growing well and has a little tom on it, Mushy 2 died and Mushy 3 is out in the allotment surviving.
It's probably the heat killing them, especially if kept in the greenhouse. Toms don't actually thrive in temps over 85f and go into survival mode and eventually die.
With it being so hot ATM they need to cool down overnight when they properly revive. Which I assume doesn't happen in a greenhouse.
My early toms are abundant,. ripe,.juicy but small.
I think this is a combination of not cutting back early enough all the suckers and growth, plus a lack of hydration. Normally you should only leave four or five batches of flowers per plant but some of mine have eight or nine!
The second lot planted much later are looking a lot better and have much larger cherries after pruning as mentioned above. The key is not to get too greedy, it's hard to cut off flowers but it needs to be done.
From my original six plants I now have over 20, watering is practically a full time job.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

I have a single tomato plant in the garden, which had about 6 tomatoes reaching ripeness. The other morning Mrs SBH saw a rat skulking around the garden, and when we checked, all the tomatoes had gone. b*stard!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

First sweetcorn plucked yesterday. Probably needs a few more days. Some nice bits harvested today.

rigoberts song

Post by rigoberts song »

Beautiful crop there boss nice and healthy.
More cauliflower and spinnach in today filled the gaps where my onions came out of .
Outdoor Cucumbers are flying greenhouse ones have slowed.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

rigoberts song wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:15 pm More cauliflower and spinnach in today filled the gaps where my onions came out of .
How were the onions, RS?
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Cherry tomatoes (F1 Lizzano) the best I've ever grown. 6 seeds(about £1.30) sown with heat late Jan (you could use a window sill if you've central heating) grown on in buckets of multipurpose, started picking in mid June. So far, we've picked over 15 kilos of fruit, and there's at least half as much again to ripen. Actually, I'm sick of the sight of them!
rigoberts song

Post by rigoberts song »

Hi Boss planted abt 50 and harvested some corking onions. Its the Dulverton show this weekend but I'm away otherwise I'd have entered some of them.
first year I've grown them and they've been great, low maintenance apart from water, spooning and lots of coffee dregs.
Still about another 10 left in the ground and growing on.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

rigoberts song wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:58 pm first year I've grown them and they've been great, low maintenance apart from water, spooning and lots of coffee dregs.
What's your view on adding coffee grounds - how beneficial?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:41 pm First sweetcorn plucked yesterday. Probably needs a few more days. Some nice bits harvested today.
Love to griddle courgettes, personally. Bit of oil, cut side down for 3-4 minutes on a pre-heated griddle, then the juice of 1/4 of a lemon on them when cooked. Delicious.
rigoberts song

Post by rigoberts song »

Nice recipe Proph.
Yes big fan of the coffee dregs definitely made my veg particularly the onions rocket away .
You need a lot of it so make friends with your local coffee shop.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:16 am Cherry tomatoes (F1 Lizzano) the best I've ever grown. 6 seeds(about £1.30) sown with heat late Jan (you could use a window sill if you've central heating) grown on in buckets of multipurpose, started picking in mid June. So far, we've picked over 15 kilos of fruit, and there's at least half as much again to ripen. Actually, I'm sick of the sight of them!
Sounds amazing, will have a go at that next year.
Where did you get them from Tenners?
And will you be keeping some of your harvested tomato seeds for next year?
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

:crylol: Been away for a couple of days and got back earlier to a completely demolished patch of 25 sweetcorn plants. Apparently, badgers have done it to everyone’s plot.
First year the rats ate them, next they didn’t pollinate very well and now the badgers.
Think someone’s trying to tell me something :crylol: