Grow 2021-24

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: Grow 2021/2

Post by Up the Junction »

stouffer wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:49 am I've also got a photo display,which I might call 'Plants I haven't killed yet',fairly amateur,but does the job.
Ha, think I might adopt that!

Shame about this Satdee, I'd have been over there if I still lived in Benfleet. Hope it goes well, stouffer.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Stouffer, I grow a few alpines but I'm too involved in other stuff. When I was at Pershore, we often spent break times at the national alpine soc's collection there, a truly excellent place👍
stouffer
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by stouffer »

Hello Tenners.
The Pershore garden is open for the National Garden Scheme on May 4th 14th 15th and June 11th and 12th.
If you can ever get to one of the national shows,you will see some real plants,grown by true experts.
Pershore has an early Spring show and normally a Summer show,but not this year.It's at a college I think,not the AGS garden.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Bit of a frost last night. Had to get up in the middle of the night to sling some covers over the tats...
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

My mate came round today to "borrow" my greenhouse. He bought 40+ live plants (flowers) from a reputable seller and decanted them into growing trays or small pots. There are too many for his garden, so when they have taken off and are ready to plot out, he's gonna give me 20 or so to plant in my front and back yards.

When he left i decided to get on with Allotment No 1. I turned it over, leaving the sprouting onions and spring onions alone and added 30 KG of compost on top of the airated soil. It's now ready for my greenhouse stuff for when the weather gets a bit better.

Potatoes are chitting away lovely, those that i didn't chit, as an experiment, have started sprouting in the allotment, tomatoes plants have almost doubled in size within a week, but still no life from my asparagus and peppers. I have them under glass and I think the condensation from the glass is watering them too much. I'm gonna give them another 14 days and see what happens.

next year I'll try this "no dig" gardening but i must confess now my back is used to it, I'm getting to like the manual side of things. Shirt off in the garden, in the sun, doing manual work and ending up with a great looking allotment plot- very very satisfying.

I planted some lavender in the bushes under my front drive two weekls ago (approx) they had taken off fine and were growing proud, but I come out to water them today but two had been basiocally cut in half. Does lavender have natural enemies??
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

I bought a variety selection of 10 types of tomato seeds which have sprouted quite well but now I don't know what to do - was going to buy a double growbag tomato greenhouse but it seems you are only supposed to put 3 plants in each growbag and I have loads of them :eh:
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

If they're named varieties, you'll be able to determine which will need a greenhouse, and which won't. (TBH, all Tom's will grow outside, unless you live way up North, but don't put them outside until late May... So keep potting them on.) Although I've got a fair bit of space to grow under protection, I chose a variety that crops well( Shirley/Alicante/etc/etc) and grow those under cover, then grow other varieties mini toms/plum/weird coloured stuff/etc, outside.
Just don't put your plants outside for a few weeks yet.... a good reason to grow them in big pots!
Hope this is helpful. :newthumb:
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Tenbury wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:40 am If they're named varieties, you'll be able to determine which will need a greenhouse, and which won't. (TBH, all Tom's will grow outside, unless you live way up North, but don't put them outside until late May... So keep potting them on.) Although I've got a fair bit of space to grow under protection, I chose a variety that crops well( Shirley/Alicante/etc/etc) and grow those under cover, then grow other varieties mini toms/plum/weird coloured stuff/etc, outside.
Just don't put your plants outside for a few weeks yet.... a good reason to grow them in big pots!
Hope this is helpful. :newthumb:
Thanks for the advice :newthumb:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Tenbury wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:40 am(TBH, all Tom's will grow outside, unless you live way up North, but don't put them outside until late May... So keep potting them on.)
Tenners' advice is of course sound, but FWIW due to a lack of space my toms have spent the last week or so (which has been reasonably mild) outside - bar the night before last, when we had a touch of frost so they enjoyed the relative warmth of the (unheated) conservatory.

Just pointing out, in case some of you have no other option.

Cucumbers, sweetcorn, courgettes and winter squash (which most definitely shouldn't go out at this time of year either!) seeded yesterday. Feels like we're under starters orders for summer 2022...
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Or, in asparagus terms, 2025 :D
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Ive finally turned over all the soil in the veg bed. Cleared out the quite impressive collection of weeds, and scooped out all of the cat ****.

I planted everything too early last year and the frost killed most of it, so Im waiting this year.
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:27 am Tenners' advice is of course sound, but FWIW due to a lack of space my toms have spent the last week or so (which has been reasonably mild) outside - bar the night before last, when we had a touch of frost so they enjoyed the relative warmth of the (unheated) conservatory.

Just pointing out, in case some of you have no other option.

Cucumbers, sweetcorn, courgettes and winter squash (which most definitely shouldn't go out at this time of year either!) seeded yesterday. Feels like we're under starters orders for summer 2022...
They are growing on my kitchen windowsill at the moment but will need repotting this week. Not having a conservatory or greenhouse I will need to get creative as they get bigger :thup: I also have some chilli plants growing on the bedroom windowsill but they aren't doing so well at the moment.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

sendô wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:03 pm Ive finally turned over all the soil in the veg bed. Cleared out the quite impressive collection of weeds, and scooped out all of the cat ****.

I planted everything too early last year and the frost killed most of it, so Im waiting this year.
Yeah, I feel a shade of guilt, but, after a fairly disastrous early effort, I filled in the gaps over the weekend with some seedlings - red kale, turnip (because the leaves alone are delicious), round cabbage and brocolli.

And, as if by magic, it rained for 20 minutes, as I was doing it.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Tomorrow...

Go to shops and buy wood chippings, any plants I like the look of and some stuff I can burn on the Weber. And some cider.

Edge the lawn with a bit of highly strung twine and a half moon thingy.

Dig all borders and remove weeds and any rubble I'll probably dig up.

Plant stuff.

Cover borders with wood chips.

Top dress lawn.

Light the Weber.

Sit in sun drinking cider and eating baps stuffed with burnt pig whilst admiring my handiwork.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Been busy in the garden for the last two days.

Potatoes - the ones that i've chitted will be ready to go in the ground by the end of next week. The ones I have planted from seed, without chitting for an experiment, have really started growing and flowering.

Carrots and Brussels are in the ground but no show from them yet.

Onions are growing well and spring onions are just begining to show.

Tomatoes in the greenhouse have taken off like rockets and I've been trimming the "suckers" amd the lower leaves that touch the earth in case of disease/mould. I've bought 5 Chilli plants of a bloke down the road from me and they are in the greenhouse and growing.

My mates flowers are growing nicely and will have to be repotted soon.

On the down side only 1 of my asparagus seeds have taken and my peppers have decided not to grow, I suspect over watering.

I planted some rocket in a propigator in the greenhouse last week. No show as yet.

In other news, I've mowed the front and back lawn again, and then used my edging tool to mark a boundary between the lawn and the plants, dug up about 4 inches wide of lawn and put down a light blue broken slate border. It looks cool and I'm happy with it.

I've got a bit of greenfly on my roses so have (under advisement) given them a wash with water mixed with washing up liquid. It seem to have done the job.

One part of my back lawn is full of weeds that grow widthways and not up. I have mowed them down as much as possible and (again under advisement) I have sprayed them with a saline solution at the centre as this is supposed to dehdrate them and kill them off to thr root?

Next weeks plans - Uncover the second allotment, weed it, cover it with 150 litres of Earth, water and rake and wonder what to grow there. I might do spinach, Garlic, herbs and possibly sweede or cucumber - I'm not sure yet.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Sounds great, Indy. On the peppers, they can take ages to germinate so don't give up hope just yet.

Here, I'm having a running battle with either mice of rats that are rather keen on my seeds/seedlings. Short of borrowing the next door neighbour's shotgun, I'm not sure how to beat them.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I have turned the plot upside down this weekend searching for the snail that has somehow managed to get away with a tasty leaf off practically every plant I've grown so far...

I'm chuckling about how crafty it is! :crylol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Finally finished strimming the grass and tidying up the garden, and managed to sow some seeds for parsnips and peas. Will likely add onions and broccoli this week at some point, or maybe next weekend. I'll likely grow some rocket too. Need a few ideas for the rest of the bed. I'll have space for 3 or more rows of veg.

We've already got tomatoes, potatoes and strawberries doing well.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Exmoor gardening report
Spuds doing well
onions ditto
strawberries flowering
garlic doing well
Leeks flying
weirdly found 3 parsnips growing like crazy from seed last year and just harvested them
still waiting for cucumber plants in garden entre to grow on before I buy them
no sign of anything from this years parsnips anticipate big failure rate again
Chard looking slow keeps getting munched by something
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

rigoberts song wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:07 pmweirdly found 3 parsnips growing like crazy from seed last year and just harvested them
We obviously missed a few 'tatas last year as there's four plants growing where they shouldn't be now...

And two huge rocket plants I left in over winter have bolted and I've been picking rocket seedlings out of the stones next to the bed they're in.