Grow 2021-24

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Re: Grow 2021/2

Post by Tenbury »

I guess youknow this, but just in case, it's well worth collecting all the dead leaves you can get your hands on, place them in a black plastic bin bag tie it up and stab a few holes in it with a fork, then stash the bags in a hidden corner for a year or so.
This will make you excellent leaf mould for free (excellent mixed with sieved loam to make your own potting compost).
If your leaf blower is also a vacuum, then the job's dead easy( if it's got a shredder facility even better).
Compost is about the dearest element in growing (especially if you're peat free), I'm currently on the look out for a S/H petrol powered Vac/shredder as next autumn thepark in town will be cleared of fallen leaves...
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Tenbury wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:27 am I guess youknow this, but just in case, it's well worth collecting all the dead leaves you can get your hands on, place them in a black plastic bin bag tie it up and stab a few holes in it with a fork, then stash the bags in a hidden corner for a year or so.
This will make you excellent leaf mould for free (excellent mixed with sieved loam to make your own potting compost).
If your leaf blower is also a vacuum, then the job's dead easy( if it's got a shredder facility even better).
Compost is about the dearest element in growing (especially if you're peat free), I'm currently on the look out for a S/H petrol powered Vac/shredder as next autumn thepark in town will be cleared of fallen leaves...
Funny that you mentioned this Tenners as as I was reading it a gardening mate rung and told me exactly the same thing!!!! And I didn't know it mate - my knowledge of gardening in minimal to say the least.

Today was clearing all teh dead grass and re establishing the wooden border round the back garden. Luckily enough the coucil emptied my grass bin today, so I'll be filling that up (with grass) real soon. Also established a temp border between 60% of my plants and the grass - it had overgrown, mingled with the flowers and was killing them. Since I've ripped out the grass/weeds and watered them they have sprung up.

I've seen the first evidence of growth on my allotment from my onions - little green shoots springing upwards. Tomatoes are shooting up in the green house, potatoes chitting away - all good so far.

In a moment of madness I uncovered allotment No 1 and dug two 5 ft long, 1 foot wide and 1 foot deep trenches and gave them some air. My told me to put he dirt from trench no 1 in trench no 2 and vice versa. I was knackered and my back was aching after that - was working for 2 1/2 hours in the sun, and was dirty and sweaty. That said, i had a lovely hot bath from head to toe, soaking in some mineral salts, drying off with a soft clean towel and putting on freshly washed clean clothes.

I now feel like a million $.

On the creature front, I've seen my first butterflies in the garden - a big black one and a big white one - I've seen loads of ladybirds and bees are in my garden ecery day - quite a few of them.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:46 pm In a moment of madness I uncovered allotment No 1 and dug two 5 ft long, 1 foot wide and 1 foot deep trenches and gave them some air. My told me to put he dirt from trench no 1 in trench no 2 and vice versa. I was knackered and my back was aching after that - was working for 2 1/2 hours in the sun, and was dirty and sweaty.
In case you've never heard of it Indy, it may be worth considering the 'no-dig' method.

Works wonders for me.

Plenty more here on this method: https://www.youtube.com/c/CharlesDowdin ... y=no%20dig
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Thanks for the above UTJ, it’s mind blowing!

*stupid question alert*

Presumably the organic material will break down and you’ll not end up with higher raised beds, is that correct? (Told you it was stupid, sorry).

Can’t wait to try this.
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

Last October after carving a Pumpkin for Halloween I decided to keep the seeds, they've been sitting in a Tupperware all winter and I've just sowed them this week. I've never done this before but am hoping just for a bit of fun to grow my own Pumpkins.

Anyone got any tips?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:50 pm Presumably the organic material will break down and you’ll not end up with higher raised beds, is that correct? (Told you it was stupid, sorry).
I started raised beds last year using 'no dig', JM - a layer of cardboard on top of what was lawn, then a mix of top soil and one-year-old horse whoopsie with 5-10cms of compost (Erin's) on top of that.

This year I've just applied a fresh layer of compost (with a little horse manure) as the whole lot has sunk a few inches since last year, but part of that will be down to natural compression given that it was freshly-created. I think you're right in saying it should break down and remain on the same level (or thereabouts).

Here's a few pics I took along the way to help anyone interested in 'no dig' visualise the process...

Raised beds prepared and lined

Layer of cardboard added to suppress growth of grass/weeds

Manure and topsoil added

Compost to complete

Plot levelled and ready for seeding

And grow

Also have a look at those Dowding videos, he's the no dig pioneer. Everything I've learned I've picked up from his videos.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

The Terminator wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:43 pm Last October after carving a Pumpkin for Halloween I decided to keep the seeds, they've been sitting in a Tupperware all winter and I've just sowed them this week. I've never done this before but am hoping just for a bit of fun to grow my own Pumpkins.

Anyone got any tips?
Jevs is KUMB's go-to-man for such things TT, but having grown squash last year (winter squash) my advice would be to keep it under glass/indoors until late May at the earliest to avoid potential late frosts.

This guy is very good for tips - here's one dedicated to pumpkins/squash...

Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Thanks UTJ, that’s really helped.

Seems like an easier method which works. Goes against everything I thought I knew.

The garden looks great though, nice work. Bet that took a fair few days!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:13 pm The garden looks great though, nice work. Bet that took a fair few days!
Thanks... a balance betwixt aesthetics and practicality in the end, although I've had to create a new bed this year as I didn't have enough space to do everything I wanted!

Let us know how you get on. :thup:
jevs
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

It's been a productive day on the lotty today despite a pretty challenging strong NE wind.

Got planted....
80 parsnip seedlings
15 Spinach
90 Leeks
9 Broccoli
9 Cauliflower
9 Red Sprouts
9 Green sprouts

Potatoes planted 3 weeks ago are up....Charlotte, Pink fir apple, King Edwards, Duke of York.

Seeds sown last week....3 types of lettuce are germinated, 5 varieties of carrot and golden beetroot usually take a bit longer.

Cucumbers at work on the hot bed are up....Runner and dwarf French beans plus courgettes and sweetcorn will be sown this week

It's all coming on very nicely
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Nice little selection there, Jevs.
jevs wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:37 pm It's been a productive day on the lotty today despite a pretty challenging strong NE wind.
I had much planned for this weekend, but had to shelve the lot due to the bloody winds...
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

The Terminator wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:43 pm Last October after carving a Pumpkin for Halloween I decided to keep the seeds, they've been sitting in a Tupperware all winter and I've just sowed them this week. I've never done this before but am hoping just for a bit of fun to grow my own Pumpkins.

Anyone got any tips?
I've tried growing pumpkins for the last few years in a growbag (our garden isn't big enough and the soil is terrible); we normally get a couple of medium sized pumpkins, enough for Halloween and a big pan of soup.

The main thing to remember is that they need a looooot of water. If the weather is hot you need to water them every day, preferably more than once. Also watch out for slugs and snails that seem partial to them.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Another few hours in the garden today. mainly maintainance if teh font garden/drive - weeding, trimming and using my new favourite piece of gardening equipment - the leaf blower/vax. It has really helped me out. One of my trees had shed a load of leaves that went brown and was blotting out the sun to many plants. 15 mins with the leafe blower and they were gone and sucked up into a bag. The plants really appreciated this (and a good watering) and have mostly sprung up to attention.

Itwas then on to the back garden and allotment. The grass has impinged upon my plants growing area and weeds were springingup sucking the nurishment from the plants. I've got an edging tool and made a border and am now in the process of removing all the weeds and grass that have infiltrated my flowers.

Any ideas for something to make a border gents please?

UTJ - lovely pics and great info. Thanks. I'm not in a position to do what you've done atm but will deffo gve it a go next year. BTW what is the white stuff inbetween and around the beds please? TYIA.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Looks great UTJ :newthumb:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

WHU Independent wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:29 amAny ideas for something to make a border gents please?
I used this for my raised beds area, Indy (the 10x pack is half the price of this). Easy to put down.

WHU Independent wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:29 amBTW what is the white stuff inbetween and around the beds please? TYIA.
It's just bags of white stone ('Cotswold' something-or-other, it's called) from the local garden centre.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Onions planted 10 days ago coming up nicely 25 showing
red onions in
Spuds appearing planted 2 weeks ago
parsnips in
Garlic growing
awaiting leek plants from local garden centre
ditto cucumber plants
weather nice in south west and soil warming up.
going to get the tomatoes in this afternoon.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Go steady Rigoberts, we could still get a frost or two, IMO, it's a bit early toput toms /cues/etc outside. (My indoor oneshave their first truss of flowers... but I still fleece them every night,)
On thesubject of fleecing, I've just shelled out a pony for15 bags of sterilised horse sh*t as my asparagus crowns have finally arrived.... 'kin hard work this gardening lark....
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Tenbury wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:57 pm...it's a bit early toput toms /cues/etc outside.
Indeed it is, although mine have been left out for the last week but on a tray so easily portable. They'll be coming in the night for a few days now, as overnights are expected to dip to 3 or 4°.
Tenbury wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:57 pm On thesubject of fleecing, I've just shelled out a pony for15 bags of sterilised horse sh*t as my asparagus crowns have finally arrived....
Do keep us posted, Tenners... planted 20 seeds this week, looking forward to having some produce IN THREE YEAR'S TIME.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Thks Tenners Got the leeks out they are a good size
Managed to get some decent ones from my garden centre.
You're right abt frosts had 3 nights of bad ones here down on Exmoor .
Toms are in the green house so their fine.
I'm leaving the cucs for a few more weeks.
They great superbly outside last year here
Made a frame from two posts and the front of a pallet looks p**** but great for growing any climbing plants up. Keeps them up and away from slugs.
stouffer
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by stouffer »

I know it's not what you boys normally grow,but anyone in the Rayleigh area with nothing to do on Saturday.
The Essex Group of the Alpine Garden Society,annual show,is on at the New Village Hall,Rawreth.Open to the public from 11-3,free entry and plant sales (mainly alpines).
The weather's not been kind,too hot,so plenty of good plants have come and gone,but there should hopefully,still be some very nice plants on show.
Some you may not have heard of.
Anyone with a good memory,may remember,I've put photos of some of the type of plants we grow on this thread.
I've also got a photo display,which I might call 'Plants I haven't killed yet',fairly amateur,but does the job.
Rawreth is on the A1245,bang in the middle of Chelmsford,Rayleigh,Benfleet and Wickford.