Grow 2021-24

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Re: Grow 2021/2/3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Whenever I see this thread title, I think of this:

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Weed(s)
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Not too much actual gardening today, due to real life stuff, but managed to trim the tomato plants, take a cutting and put it in water, feed the toms and all other verg afterwards and even fed the 5 plants and my mums memorial bush today.

I've notive the potatoes both in the ground and in the sack are really pushing through so time for new earh! I've also managed to get in a small bit of pruning and have noticed that one of my plum trees seems to be flourishing whilst the other seems poorly.

Otherwise toms, onions and other planted stuff are all cioming along nicely.
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Day off today so will probably spend most of the long weekend at the allotment. Plenty to do....planting all my brassicas and putting the netting tunnels over them. Runner beans, beetroot, carrots, herbs, cucumbers and courgettes also to go in plus time to sow pak choi and sweede.

Last autumn, I (foolishly) sowed green manure in two of my beds. Unfortunately I never got round to digging it in when it was small. Now, ive had to strim it, dig it over, put a 3" layer of manure on it and then cover it in weed membrane. Will hopefully plant courgettes through the membrane.

Got to the plot yesterday and was greeted by a pair of Canada Geese and a gosling. God knows how they got there but the baby wasn't big enough to fly. Let them out of the plot and despite spitting and snarling at me, they waddled off into the woods.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

southbrishammer wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:26 pm Update: it's still alive! A few green shoots are showing through the carnage.
Plants can be quite resilient. We cut back a 70 year old mature yew about 5 years ago - branches taken back to about 2 feet from the trunk. It has bounced back fine and will need to do it again in a couple of years.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

A very slow start this year all round. Lots of last year's seeds failing to germinate.

Cucumbers have been out for a week now and have barely grown... toms suffering with the cool, windy weather too.

On the bright side, the house is now festooned with various claret and blue hanging baskets and pots. Good old Lobelia.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

Tis warmer darrnn sowff - cucumbers have been growing well thus far and I even have 3 from my mini cucumber plants ready to add to a salad tomorrow. The oven baked cracked egg shells around the base of the plant have really kept away the slugs this year.

Way too many tomato plants of various varieties shooting up this past week. I grew plenty of pea sized tomatoes last year and they were a fantastic addition to meals and very tasty as they popped in your mouth. Unfortunately many of them fell on the floor and got blown around in the wind which means they are now popping up as seedlings absolutely everywhere around the garden this year.

Beets and carrots all growing well but peppers of all varieties struggling and I’m unsure why.

Blackcurrants, blueberries, pear and apple trees all flowering and some with tiny fruits. Even the apricot trees survived winter well and have had plenty of flowers which are now protected with some fine net bags around the branches.

Like UTJ, my wall pots and baskets are a burst of claret and blue lobelias and petunias which really pees off the Tottenham and Chelsea neighbours :coolas:
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

3 months sickness, and my place has transformed into the Amazon rainforest. Over the next couple of months, with a lot of help, we'll start again, at least the structure(fruit cordons, etc) can be retained, and the raised beds increased in height. Still got a new GH still in boxes too.
Never seen the stone fruit so good ( Still pre 'June drop' mind) top fruit fairly decent too.
Barely seen a slug (as per UG) and although I use the old egg shell as well, I think it may also be something to do with the complete lack of rain in weeks!! :thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Pleased to see you're out of hospital, Ten, old mate.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Loads of spinach and lettuce so far. Tomatoes finally look to be getting their act together. Onions planted end of last year might actually be forming bulbs (hallelujah).

Peas and beans seem slow to get going this year. Spuds look healthy and looks to be a lot of strawberries on the way.

Water butts are running dry, I'm about the only person up here hoping for some rain lol.
jevs

Post by jevs »

How's it all going? Bit of an update. Everything seems to be growing well despite no rain since Coronation day (6th June) and a constant NE wind.

Both runner and climbing French bean were sown direct and have come up and growing well

Spuds looking great....International Kidney (Jersey Royals). Pink fir apple and King Edwards

All root veg is growing well. I've grown some parsnips in 2 litre fizzy pop bottles with the tops and bottoms cut off and they're doing great.

Kale, rocket and spinach looking lovely. Onions bulbing well but garlic has rust. Sowed pak choi, sweede and spring onions and they're all up.

Planted all the winter brassicas last weekend.

Strawberries looking good, raspberries have loads of fruit and the pear, cherries and golden plum trees are loaded with fruit

Going to sow some more salad stuff this weekend.

The only disappointment are the tomatoes which got absolutely battered by the cold wind.

I don't know how to post pictures on here so here's a link to my facebook page

jevs

Post by jevs »

At last, About 3 hours of steady rain. Lovely.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Had our first rain for 3 weeks here yesterday.
Strawberries doing well picked a few nice flavour.
Spuds flying bit of blight coming so picking any yellow off straightaway .I'm sure it's this dry weather .
Onions slow
Cucumbers in green house flying
Leeks doing well need picking really.
Garlic slow, lettuce- lollo and radicchio flying.
Rigged up another water butt so I don't run dry again.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Productive session in the back yard. Kohl Rabi, courgettes, asparagus (yes, at last) and peppers in the ground, broccoli sorted.

Next is to sort out the carrots, which were wiped out by a greedy blackbird.
jevs

Post by jevs »

Sprayed my Sweede and Pak choi with an insecticide last night to try to get rid of this awaful flea beatle.

Wondered why they were looking rough this afternoon only to find I sprayed them with weed killer :crylol:

41 years as a professional gardener :nonpl: :crylol:
WHU Independent

I was living in the garden most of last week but gave it a rest this weekend. Went back today and had a greenhouse day. All asparagus trmmed up and dead stuff taken off, trimmed up the botton leaves on thenpeppers and chiilies so they don't touch the soil and get diseased, totally trimmed the tomato plants to get rid of suckers and low hancing, floor touching leaves, re-popped some cilies that were getting too small for their pots,topped up the potatoes in bags with earth, repotted some garlic that has sprouted surpsisingly and generally had a real good tidy up. Greenhouse looks well ordered now and I have space to move.

Outside - put new earth on the spanish and spring onions, asparagus and garlic I have in the ground to provide more nutrients.

Then I fed and watered everything.

I picked some toms, goozberies and blacl berries I had grwn and put them i a salad. They all tatsed a million times better that store produce.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

jevs wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:33 pm Sprayed my Sweede and Pak choi with an insecticide last night to try to get rid of this awaful flea beatle.

Wondered why they were looking rough this afternoon only to find I sprayed them with weed killer :crylol:

41 years as a professional gardener :crylol:
Oh Jevs, what a mistake to make :rofl:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

My peas have gone mental over the last week or so. All 9 plants exploded and doubled in size, loads of pods appearing. At this rate I'll be giving Birds Eye a run for their money.

Parsnips on the other hand simply have not germinated. It looks like I've got about 8 growing out of two whole rows of seeds.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

sendô wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:37 amParsnips on the other hand simply have not germinated. It looks like I've got about 8 growing out of two whole rows of seeds.
That was my carrots. ONE out of three rows (thought I suspect the bird/s that have been eating everything were culpable here).
WHU Independent

Bloody Carrots. I've sowed 3 x 2 big rows orf carrots and not had one gerninate. Semms to be the 1 thing I can' grow.