Grow 2021-24

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Re: Grow 2021/2/3

Post by rigoberts song »

Pinky i've Been going to my local dump weekly and the guys there let me have the big 45 litre plastic pots. some dumps have a shop next to them which you can buy them from.
Nip to aldi lidl etc get some cheap compost and put two or three spuds in coveted up and few months later new potatoes.. As I'm tight my local greengrocer gave me a whole bag that had gone to seed so got abt 20 pots planted up and the rest in the ground.
Remember to bank them up and water loads
Garlic is good I've planted that pretty much year round
And chard is good too cover it up tho as the aforementioned slugs snails will eat it.
If you're doing grow bags why not do one with cucumbers they're great I made a frame out of the front of a pallet for them to grow up and over they love being suspended down.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1638 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Gardining is so addictive, it should be made illegal! I'm addicted to it more than Booze!

I spent yesterday mowing the front lawn, pulling up weeds, spraying some weeds with weedlkiller and enactng floral aparthid, making a defined border between the lawn and the plants they are under the hedge. It took most of teh day and, as it was sunny, caught some nice rays too.

My neighbour gave me 8 chitted poatoes, so they went straight in a bag and have been covered with earth as well as a good water.

Today i went to a garden centre and bought a nice perenial plant a lavende hibiscus citrone, which I an going to plant in the garden as a tribute to be dear departed mum. I also bought some little purple flowers that I put one side of the driveway to help balance the one on the other side. I forget what they are called. More weeding and getting rid of the odd weeds that have sprung up in the cracks of the drive and the front of the house brickwork. Also got rid of some deadwood that was stopping the growth of my bushes.The front of teh house is largly done but there is oen bit i want to have a go at tomorrow.

I've got sins of growth from my greenhouse based garlic, some of teh random flowers I have germinated from seed have started sprouting, greenhouse based Toms and peppers growing well too.

One question for the KUMB hive mind. I've got a blackberry bush in the back garden. It's startng to show proto berries. However the leaves of the plant have developed small area of cherry red bulging patchhes. Think of your balls - if you are a man!- shrivveled up but bright cherry. Is this natural? I tried to wash some of it off but it looks like its actually in the leaves and can'y be moved?

TYIA>
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I really miss the blackberry bush behind the garage at my old house. We used to get a bumper harvest from that.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Pinks, chard grows faster than most weeds in our garden. Tasty too.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

pablo jaye wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:26 pm Also, and quite ironic, given what I have said above, does anyone have top tips for getting rid of box caterpillars? They are an invasive species, and don’t fit in my garden’s plan - it’s all about getting the aesthetic /wildlife balance right.

Have sprayed the box with TopBuxus Zentari, which is an organic compound that doesn’t harm anything else, but wondered what others use?
Our box got attacked a couple of years ago. I sprayed it with standard pesticide which got rid of them and it looked like it was recovering. However it was hit again a month ago, and I think it's probably dead now.

Update: it's still alive! A few green shoots are showing through the carnage.
Last edited by southbrishammer on Thu May 25, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I've got 11 pea plants now planted out in the veg patch. There's also 8 broccoli seedlings now potted on, although they're staying inside for now.
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Bloody mice have dug up my Runner beans, courgettes, cucumbers and sweetcorn :swear:

Lots of planting at the moment, got all my Dahlias in plus leeks, lettuce, more carrots, tomatoes, plus what's left of the sweetcorn!!!!

I'm not really into growing or eating currants but i'm looking to get a couple of blackcurrant and blueberry bushes.

Need some rain but being on sandy clay, the soil when i did it over is nice and damp.
jevs

Post by jevs »

Anyone going or keeping tabs on Chelsea flower show? I went in 1983 as a horticultural trainee and vowed to never go back...and I haven't.

Much prefer gardeners world live and Hampton Court flower show
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

jevs wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:33 pm Anyone going or keeping tabs on Chelsea flower show? I went in 1983 as a horticultural trainee and vowed to never go back...and I haven't.

Much prefer gardeners world live and Hampton Court flower show
I love it Jevs. I last went in 2019, but it is fantastic. RHS Malvern Spring Show is also good.

I can never get over the way they make the gardens look like they have been there for years when really it has only been a matter of days.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Glad its getting a bit warmer, things starting to burst into life.

This was mine last year around the hottest day, stupid idea to paint the fence that day :crylol:

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Every spring I say "only a few tomato plants this year".

Yet somehow I've ended up with 30 on the go again...
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

VM - that looks a lovely garden and a bit of a suntrap. As for the stripes on the lawn, they'd put Wembley to shame!!

I wonder if any others with lawns either consciously or subconsciously mow their lawns with stripes. I mow 'up and down' the garden trying for the lines but they last a few hours at most, as I don't have a decent roller on the mower. At least I feel like I am a groundsman!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

pablo jaye wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:10 pmI wonder if any others with lawns either consciously or subconsciously mow their lawns with stripes.
:thup:
jevs

Post by jevs »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:10 pm
I wonder if any others with lawns either consciously or subconsciously mow their lawns with stripes.
My dad does....but he also puts stripes on his carpet when he hoovers it. :nonpl:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1638 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

VM - how do you stop your grass growing over the wooden borders. I've tried my strimmer and it works to a degree. I've had to resort to getting on my hands and knees and doing it!

Today is teh first day I've not spent in the garden. I've put carrots in the ground, edged the would lawn, cut back some more the the back garden, my potaotes in sacks are already growing, I've planted some flowers at the entrance to my drive weeded like a madman.

My mum's Lavander Hibiscus Chiffon seems to have settled in well and all in all, I'm a very contented garner.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

VM garden looking lovely 👍. Mine never looks that neatly manicured lol.

Just a heads up for anyone looking for garden tools online avoid gardytools its a scam site.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:41 pm Every spring I say "only a few tomato plants this year".

Yet somehow I've ended up with 30 on the go again...
Limited myself to 12 this season, all grown from seed.
I've shown great restraint.
Half are my normal quite successful Rubylicious and the other half are the ones recommended on here by someone (genetically engineered or something).
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:25 am VM - how do you stop your grass growing over the wooden borders. I've tried my strimmer and it works to a degree. I've had to resort to getting on my hands and knees and doing it!

Today is teh first day I've not spent in the garden. I've put carrots in the ground, edged the would lawn, cut back some more the the back garden, my potaotes in sacks are already growing, I've planted some flowers at the entrance to my drive weeded like a madman.

My mum's Lavander Hibiscus Chiffon seems to have settled in well and all in all, I'm a very contented garner.
Just like you boss, go up and down with the strimmer. Seems to work reasonably well for me. Just got to be carefull not to scalp it (which I have done a few times) :crylol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

mushy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:21 pm Limited myself to 12 this season, all grown from seed.
See, I could live with a dozen Mushy... that sounds eminently sensible and manageable... it didn't help being 'gifted' a pot with 15 plants in... as I hate to throw any away...
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

southbrishammer wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:51 pm Our box got attacked a couple of years ago. I sprayed it with standard pesticide which got rid of them and it looked like it was recovering. However it was hit again a month ago, and I think it's probably dead now.

Update: it's still alive! A few green shoots are showing through the carnage.