Grow 2021-24

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Re: Grow 2021/2

Post by Tenbury »

I'm switching varieties, Jevs(to 'Joan J'). Couldn't agree more, though, about the hardwood cuttings, this year I'm going with the gooseberries, as it's impossible to buy them as a single'leg' and I want to grow some standards as bending becomes increasingly difficult :newthumb:
You raise an interesting thing:Loads of people who grow veg/blooms/even lawn, seem to baulk at the idea. of raising plants through cuttings, where (even with semi ripe stuff) it's often easier than growing stuff.!
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

I used to be the propagator at our nursery in Brighton so i just love taking cuttings and sowing seeds. I've just set up a Heath Robinson type propagating bench im my shed at work using reptile heat mats and artificial LED lights. It's not only good for the ornamentals at work but good for starting veg off early.
Still time for semi-ripe cuttings and i'm collecting lots of seed from the herbaceous perennials at the moment....Echinacea, Salvia Gregii, Inula, certain Penstemon, Heliopsis all grow well from seed collected now.
jevs

Post by jevs »

Busy day on the allotment today. Lots of clearing old crops, digging and preparing for green manure.
Put in
50 red onion sets
50 Japanese onion setts
16 shallots
8 elephant garlic
50 normal garlic

I need a beer!!! :beer:
jevs

Post by jevs »

Another bed cleared, dug and raked over this morning. Sowed some green manure which is a first for me.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

There's been an explosion in my greenhouse! Green pepers growing everywhere, Red, Yellow and Green chilli's being produced, Aspargus has begun to flower - this means I can sex them and get rid of the females. Tomatoes still producing, although at a slow rate.

Outside Mushy 1 has loads of green toms on them. the outside Asparagus is surviving, although one died. My Butternut squash is begining to fruit as well, and now the cold weather is here, the white catapillar butterflies have vanished and my Kale is making a remarkable comeback. Also, my Early potatoes are still delivering and they are now the size of my palm - and very tasty.

Flowers wise my Rose are blooming a treat and smell great. Bluebells have all died off and I've got loads of other stuff blooming, which looks great.

Over the last few days, I've spent 3 hours weeding the boarders of my garden and my gravel paths, and another 2 hours pruning. I've cut out they bit of remaining black spot and deadheaded and smipped off all the dead/dying stuff. I can see the difference already - flowers that were dormant have started bluming.

Oh and I bought a bale of straw for a fiver from my local veg farm. I'm gonna put it on allotment 1 and the rest on allotment 2 so the latter is ready for the spring and teh former doesn't get any frost. Obs I'm gonna de-weed first.
jevs

Post by jevs »

6 days after sowing the green manure, it's germinated plus the onions and garlic all have 2" shoots on!!!
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Did the old dark drawer routine with my green onions and hey presto they're all red now .
****ed over over veg patch and found another 12 nice new potatoes I'd missed originally plus 2 onions.
Weeded and destoned it also widened it all my old growbags got smashed up and put on it got so got beautiful Soil now.
12 leeks in that are gently growing.
Not bothered with winter veg as put the place on the market so if anyone wants a nice Exmoor cottage pop me a pm !
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

rigoberts song wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:29 am
****ed over over veg patch
Well I guess fertility IS what it's all about.. :D
rigoberts song

Post by rigoberts song »

I actually said fork but it censored it !
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I've been quite depressed re gardening as everything in the greenhouse and outside is dying. The weather has been too cold to do anything and I've been putting gardening off but today was very clement, so I bit the bullet and and got stuck in.

So today I have:

Ripped up all the tomato plants and thrown them out.

Got rid of all the earth the tomatos were grown in by tipping them on a small plot of uused land in the garden.

Cut back the many many aspargus plants that are growing well,

Ripped up the totally useless butternut sqaush plant that gave fruit that went moldy on the vine.

Ripped up all the peppers and chilli plants and disposed of them.

Finally placed straw on 100% of my allotment to help aganst the up and coming frosts
The good news is that now my butter nut squash plant has died back, the onions I planted last yeat are making a remarkable comeback. At least 10 of the 12 I planted are growing well. In addition, my kale plant and my cabbage plants are doing really well, now it is too cold for white cabbage butterflies. I'll be eating curly kale leaves very soon.

I only spent an hour or two in the garden but my mood has lightened, I feel like I have achieved something and am happy with the progress I have made. Hopefully more tomorrow!
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Not been very mobile this last couple of weeks, and today was the first I've spent more than an hour or so in the garden for a while. My purple sprouting(along with other winter stuff, spinach, spring greens etc) have taken a massive hit from the weather. It did go - 7C about 14 days ago, but Purp. Spr. will usually take it, but this year they've slumped (from 3ft high) and rotted badly. Never seen the like, but a mate pointed out that within 2 days of the - 7,it was +11C, I'm not a great botanist, but I think that's a pretty strange occurrence.

Hey ho...
rigoberts song

Post by rigoberts song »

Put some leeks in abt a month ago growing very slowly despite the dough west being mild nothing happening.
A few shoots on my onions that
Went in Nov.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Just about to serve up the last remaining carrots and parsnips from last summer's crop, pulled out of the ground today, with a large slab of lamb.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:03 pm Just about to serve up the last remaining carrots and parsnips from last summer's crop, pulled out of the ground today, with a large slab of lamb.
Why did you have a large slab of lamb in the ground?
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

I believe the Norwegians do the same with sharks.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Rocketron wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:38 pmWhy did you have a large slab of lamb in the ground?
I didn't, silly. As if.

I used it instead of a shovel.
jevs

Post by jevs »

Popped to the lotty today. Most of it is underwater or very difficult to walk on. Luckily I have raised beds and lots of woodchip on the paths. Still picking sprouts and leeks but the parsnips, although they grew well, are badly f o r ked (swear filter kicked in for that!!!) and are pretty useless.

Going to try parsnips in tubes this year. I,ve been using my lovely compost at work that I've been producing for 10 years and sieving it. When I have enough, I add a bag of sharp sand. I'll find some old drain or soil pipe and cut it in lengths.

Garden centres now have seed potatoes in stock....far too early to plant yet unless you have a frost free greenhouse.

So just lots of planning at them moment....what will go where and what else I can shoe-horn in.

I've just ordered 8 Dahlia plants from Halls Of Heddon for the lotty for exhibiting in September.

You can sow Chiilis, sweet peppers and even tomatoes in January if you have some heat for them.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

I'll be sowing Chillies next week. Prob I have with Jan sown Toms, Jevs, is getting them enough light. I've got light boards, but is it worth the expense in leccy? :cry:
jevs

Post by jevs »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:00 pm I'll be sowing Chillies next week. Prob I have with Jan sown Toms, Jevs, is getting them enough light. I've got light boards, but is it worth the expense in leccy? :cry:
To be honest mate, i used to sow my Toms in January but I've found no difference in produce if I sowed them in March.
jevs

Post by jevs »

Greetings. Finally managed to get on the plot after the cold, wet start to the year. Only doing some tidying up.
However, the plot next to mine has become available so I’ve taken half of it….10m x 5m. Going to be using it mainly for growing Dahlias for exhibition and other cut flowers.
Also going to try a few things with parsnips and carrots by growing them in tubes this year. I’ve ordered some exhibition quality veg seeds for the local village show too.

Sorted out all my grow lamps and heat mats this week and sown parsnips, leeks, jalapeños to try to get an early crop and delphiniums for work.

Happy days.