Grow 2021-24

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Re: Grow 2021/2

Post by WHU Independent »

I think I've overcome a major hurdle in being a gardner.

I was growing rocket and it looked poor, it was surrounded by weeds continually and the white butterflies had given it a real go.And in all honesty, I don't really like rocket... so I ripped it all out.

Admitting defeat is a stepping stone IMHO.

I'm now looking at my Kale - plenty of growth, but decimated by white butterflies - and my butternut squash - plenty of massive leaves that have taken over the allotment, but no squashes - and am thinking they are next for extraction.

Especially as I have a **** load of Asparagus, that I've grown from seed, have 6 plants in the ground that are growing nicely and another **** load in the Greenhouse, which need to be planted out.

I know it is a 2 year wait but I bloody love asapargus and would rather have loads of these than bloody rocket or squash!

In other news all 4 variety of toms are taking off. Mushy 1 is planted outside in the allotment and is already showing fruit, the Romana tomatoes are chucking thmselves at me and the yellow and red baby toms are finally in full production.

And my chillis are giving me chilli's! I had one in a salad the other day - not bollox crunching hot, but plenty of Umph and flavour.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

I grew rocket from seed last year left it in the ground all winter and it keeps coming been tearing some off all summer mixing with my cucumbers basil and chard leaves for a simple salad .
Harvested my spuds the red variety and garlic yesterday.
Took Tenners advice and whacked dome spinach and cauliflower in s few weeks ago its coming along.
Greenhouse tomatoes and cucs are slowing right down now.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Sweetcorn harvested, blanched and frozen. Decent crop this year, should have enough to keep us going through the winter (as long as I'm not greedy).

Sadly my Kale went the same way as yours, Indy. Though one plant appears to be recovering, so I might be able to keep that going.

As for leaving rocket in the ground over winter RS, I did that last year - and pulled these two bad boys out in May, as I needed the space...

rigoberts song

Post by rigoberts song »

Bloody hell looks like day of the triffids
Your gardener looks a bit of a wrong un too
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Been a mixed bag so far this year.
Didn't plant onions until very late....April/may. Therefore, the ones that were any good were very small. Still using them though and they taste lovely
Leeks are small but don't mind using baby leeks and still have growing to do.
Courgettes have been awesome and are still producing
Ditto Runner beans, cucumbers and spinach
Carrots and parsnips looking good
Still digging loads of spuds...charlotte and pink fir apple. King Edwards and Red duke of york.
The cauliflowers were superb
Sprouts are looking good for winter
Broccoli looking lovely
Tomatoes have been...and still are, wonderful

The only failures were salad crops....Beetroot, lettuce, early sowings of carrots etc were very poor
Badgers ate every sweetcorn which is a shame.
Raspberries and strawberries were stunning but didn't get a single pear or plum. Had a few Stella cherries though.

I think next year I might concentrate on more winter crops. Need to cut down on runner beans and courgettes.
Also going to get some asparagus crowns.

Im also going to grow a few exhibition Dahlias having visited the RHS Wisley flower show and seen the exhibits in the National Dahlia Society tent.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

jevs wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:19 am Also going to get some asparagus crowns.
I grew a dozen or so from seed this year and they're still in pots as I've no idea where to put them (that they can remain for the next decade or two). I didn't really think that one through clearly... any advice, Jevs?
jevs

Post by jevs »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:37 am I grew a dozen or so from seed this year and they're still in pots as I've no idea where to put them (that they can remain for the next decade or two). I didn't really think that one through clearly... any advice, Jevs?
I honestly have no idea mate. Never grown them before but the mrs loves them. Pretty sure that they're a long term crop and the bigger and older they are, the better the spears. I'll ask around and see what the fellow plotters have to say.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

This from a couple of pages back..... (how sad is it when even the boss has blanked you!!! :D)
Tenbury wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:25 am I would pot them on now(ish), you will see the ferns start to die off September/October, then cut them about an inch above the 1crown (you could put them outside, but I'd be concerned about the roots freezing in the pots) leave them in an unheated gh or frame, water very sparingly over winter. Put the pots outside next spring when (hopefully) they'll be larger.
. Next May/June, decide where your bed will be, and cover it with a good layer of cardboard /old carpet/etc. Leave this for 6 months while you collect a load of horse manure ( *try the transfer thread). November next year, take off the covering, spread out the mature, replace the covering.[Once the bed is planted you just want to hand weed it, so you're eliminating perrenial weed with all this covering up]
The following April (2024), you're going to be planting that bed up, and it's going to last you 20+ years, so all this faffing about, is well worth it.
I'm trying 1)A new overwintering onion (as well as the usual 'Senshyu'), it's called 'Hi Keeper' and should be ready in June, but still keep a few months. 2) A calabrese 'Marathon F1' which you sow now, overwinter under cover, then set out in March should be ready in May.
.... we'll see.....
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Tenbury wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:49 pm This from a couple of pages back..... (how sad is it when even the boss has blanked you!!! :D)
My apologies Tenners - I have no idea how I missed that! Thank you.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Tenbury wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:25 amI would pot them on now(ish), you will see the ferns start to die off September/October...
11 finally potted on in nice large sacks, ferns still looking strong though for now. Ta for the advice.

Meanwhile, stuck around 75 (blanched) corn cobs in the freezer last weekend. Should last a for a bit!

And the one pumpkin plant I stuck in the ground has now taken over the full bed and a large area of grass beyond it.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

My ferns are still very green (ooh Matron, etc) don't cut them till they're brown. As you've potted them on, if it goes say >. -5C then maybe a little straw or similar to insulate the roots (I've often lost stuff in pots, through the roots freezing)
My sweetcorn were OK, but nowhere near yours. What's your secret?
Soon be taking hardwood cuttings from my currants/gooseberries.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I finally pulled up the spinach plants at the weekend. I'd expected them to seed ages ago but they didn't, they just kept going and ended up huge. The roots looked like massive parsnips. Which coincidentally is all I've got growing now. It's been a real crap year for me grow wise.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Tenbury wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:29 pmMy sweetcorn were OK, but nowhere near yours. What's your secret?
Beginners luck, I guess...

Last year they weren't nearly so good but were kept in pots a lot longer ('til 4-5 feet tall, due to being sown several weeks earlier). This year, as soon as they hit 16-18 inches (early June) they were transplanted into the ground which they obviously preferred.

Last year I got one cob from every plant, this year I had several providing two (and some even three, although the third was never edible, too small and immature).

Bodacious variety (sugar enhanced) gave the best results though I still did alright from the others (Rising Sun + 1 more whose name I can't recall, both super sweet).

sendô wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:18 pmThe roots looked like massive parsnips. Which coincidentally is all I've got growing now.
My snips are just beginning to pick up too. Hopefully ready for Christmas.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

They should be, I pulled a couple the other day for a roast and they were decent.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Swift note, might be of use.
Too late to sow the overwintering onions (the ones I never stop going on about), but 'The Range', (apparently they're all over the country) have Senshuyi sets ready to plant up till November.
25 bulbs (they're decent) in a bag, and 3 bags for a fiver..... it's not worth sowing seed if you can get them for that.
jevs

Post by jevs »

Nice one Tenners, most garden centres and shops that have a garden section will soon have onion sets in stock.
I usually aim to get mine in by mid to end October along with garlic.
These are usually harvested from June onwards.
rigoberts song

Post by rigoberts song »

Good tip I'm a bit onioned out with my summer ones though.
Harvested my last summer outdoor cucumber yesterday .
Pulled up my swiss chard and rocket. still waiting for my spinach seeds to turn to leaves ditto cauliflour.
jevs

Post by jevs »

Had my first roast dinner of the autumn with everything (except the pork) from the allotment.

King Edward roast potatoes
Runner beans
Parsnips
Carrots
Leeks
Sprouts

I love sprouts but i'm getting a bit fed up with the lack of flavour....even from the allotment. The one thing that I love about them is their bitter taste but it seems, like most things, they've bred the bitterness out in favour of "sweetness"
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

We used to say they needed a bit of frost.

My raspberry canes are 7 or 8 yrs old, so time for some new ones. I phone up some grower I've used on and off for years (Keepers in Kent), 'yeah, no probs, 20 canes, about 25 quid'...... but the courier... for 20 poxy rasp canes???... £14.50!!!!!!!!
K'inell, could have sent the f*ckin things in a cab for that. I spose it'll teach me to buy local..
[I know the diesel in the vans has gone up, but I'm fairly certain the Albanians driving them are still paid next to nothing]
jevs

Post by jevs »

Tenbury wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:52 am We used to say they needed a bit of frost.

My raspberry canes are 7 or 8 yrs old, so time for some new ones. ]
Have you thought about taking hardwood cuttings from your existing ones Tenners? Probably won't fruit next summer but a pretty cheap and fun way to increase your stock.