Grow 2021-24

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Re: Grow 2022

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:37 am In fact all it was really good for last year was next door's cat ****ting in it twice a day.
Wasn't it you who had issues with foxes crappingin your garden?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:52 pm Wasn't it you who had issues with foxes crappingin your garden?
Yeah at the old house. No fox problem here, just all the cats on the estate using my raised bed as a crapper.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:33 pm Yeah at the old house. No fox problem here, just all the cats on the estate using my raised bed as a crapper.
Airbnb for wildlife has good to excellent reviews about the quality of dumping in the Sendo garden. :crylol:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Re: Grow 2021/2

Post by WHU Independent »

Got some lavender plants and some Icy something or other to plant in the front garden.

Bought some onions to grow as well plus some lettuice as suggested above. Alsdo bought some potting trays and some peppers etc for the Green house.

Disinfected the Greenhouse, still a bit to go. Potatoes chitting nicely,

Gonna have a gardening day tomorrow to sort stuff out :)
WHU Independent

Well Fook my old boots. I've become a gardener and I love i! I've spent about 10 hours of the last two days in the garden/greenhouse and it's really enjoyable. It has helped calm, me down even further, and has also had helped me relax. It's also knackered me!

So far my Lavender and my Jack Frost plants are holding up nicely, the front small lawn looks great after mowing it, the inside garden has been 75% weeded and new growth (flowers) is already spurting where the dead leaves/weeds were (in the side bed) and I've cleared the gravel drive of weeds too.

I've weeded 75% of the back garden and am going to establish a border where the grass is going to be limited through. I've got tuplips blooming, along with the various trees. Tomorrow I've got to weed the allotment area and turn the soil over to prepare it for future planting. I've got some onions and spring onions to go in there.

As far as the Greenhouse is concerned my chitted potatoes are growing quite fast (they are the early Maris piper type) and i've put some asparagus and Peppers in seperate growing trays, which have been placed under glass as per instructions on the packet.

I'm lucky nough to have a sizeable greenhouse, so my friend (who had gardened for 40 years) has said i should get some grow bags and grow plants(not seeds) them in the greenhouse as it seems part of it is set up for it - bamboo poles and ties further up. I wasn't going to grow tomatoes but my mate says in the Greenhouse in grow bags they should be relatively easy. Any further advice please?

I sat down and had a cup of tea in the greenhouse and watched the birds - nothng fancy, some wood pidgeons, starlings (who have nested in my bushes), the odd crow and magpie - who came and eat the food I had left the out) and I felt really chilled, if bushed.

TBVH I'm not fussed if it all dies, I enjoy the process of the physcal exercise, planning and logistics. It gets me out and away from my computer, where I have spent too much of my life sitting playing computer games.

One thing I've noticed. Until today, I've never seen a bee in my garden - now I have a considerable number. I even saw a ladybird.

I've decided to leave a big patch of my garden as wild for the insecs and other animals (Hedgehogs) etc which is a nice counterpoint to the weeded and prunded stuff.

I can't wait to start again tomorrow :)
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Now that, WHU I, is one fantastic post. :thup:
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Indy :newthumb:
Best buy some tom plants this year ( by next weekend they'll be everywhere). They're dead easy, check the 'Garden Focus' and RHS websites for easy instruction, just make sure you understand the difference between determinate and indeterminate varieties (they need different treatment) and they'll be great.

Now.. if only someone could tell me how to grow cucumbers... :(
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

WHU Independent wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:01 pm Well Fook my old boots. I've become a gardener and I love i! I've spent about 10 hours of the last two days in the garden/greenhouse and it's really enjoyable. It has helped calm, me down even further, and has also had helped me relax. It's also knackered me!
Great post, Indy... as for your current state of mind, this may be why:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauratenen ... e-happier/

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2007/5384.html
WHU Independent

Chane of plan today. My mate and I went to a garden centre and I bought very large two grow bags and 6 tomato plants (under my mates supervision.) I took them home and now and the proud owner of 6 tomato plants in grow bags, all watered and looked after, tucked up nicely in my greenhouse.

Checked all my other plants/veg and all seems good.

Did another hours weeding and the back area is all clear of weeds now. It's all looking good, apart from the grass, which i HAVE to mow, but an putting off because a) it's boring and b) it will take an age with my little mower. I'll think I'll do 15 mins a day and it should be finshed in under a week.

I'm gettig bees a plenty now, but also a halo of flies all aroune the garden at various plants.

Quck question: spiders in a greenhouse - good/bad? I've go one where I've cleaned and hes making a little web - nowhere near the plants mind.

Oh and one of my cats is now banned from the greenhouse - he bloody peed on my compost bag (not the tomato ones thank goodness!)
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:37 am .

Quck question: spiders in a greenhouse - good/bad? I've go one where I've cleaned and hes making a little web - nowhere near the plants mind.

As long as they arent red and miniscule (probably not)..... all good :newthumb:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:37 am Chane of plan today. My mate and I went to a garden centre and I bought very large two grow bags and 6 tomato plants (under my mates supervision.) I took them home and now and the proud owner of 6 tomato plants in grow bags, all watered and looked after, tucked up nicely in my greenhouse.
Good show. What varieties, Indy? Determinate or indeterminate?

Had to replant all my red and white onion seeds yesterday as around 85% have failed to germinate.

Using last year's leftover stock, which is probably why.

Also finally caved in and bought some Asparagus seeds. Only three years before they'll bear fruit, as it were...
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:37 am

The spider won't have set up shop in a place where it won't find any food, so its probably doing you a favour where it is, I'd have thought.

Some plants attract midges and things almost the day after they've pushed themselves through the surface of the soil, whereas others get affected by other things. All our tomato plants went down with blight last year, but that is, so far as I understand, an airborne thing, not insect predation.

I would personally leave that spider in place. They are fiendishly clever so it is probably aware that its web will be picking up some passing trade! I read only yesterday that their webs are a depiction of how they mentally understand the world around them.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

First time contributor to this thread. We moved a couple of weeks ago and have inherited a decent sized greenhouse in the back garden. I’ve never been much of a gardener before but want to utilise the 6ft x 10ft facility in the garden. So I’m looking for some beginners tips from those more experienced in the field of growing your own.
Initially I was thinking of tomatoes and spuds??
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Welcome to the greenhouse !
Grew spuds for the first time last year very easy they need lots of water and banking to to encourage growth under ground.
I got mine in last Sunday and the first few bits of green are showing on a few.
They'll taste lovely in sept when you harvest -quick tip they don't take as long to cook as shop bought ones.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:11 am First time contributor to this thread. We moved a couple of weeks ago and have inherited a decent sized greenhouse in the back garden. I’ve never been much of a gardener before but want to utilise the 6ft x 10ft facility in the garden. So I’m looking for some beginners tips from those more experienced in the field of growing your own.
Initially I was thinking of tomatoes and spuds??
The following grow easily, from seed:

1. beetroot
2. kale
3. rocket
4. 'spinach beet' - it is a beet crop, but the leaves taste and look like spinach, but the plant grows much easier.

Also, you can buy broccoli seedlings and they grow easily too.

Literally thumb the seeds into the soil and regularly water and these are as straightforward as you can get.

I think - Tenners or Jevs are the mods of this thread - that potatos must be grown in soil that they have for themselves, so, as normal, in a bin.

Enjoy.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Got tomato seeds growing on the kitchen windowsill and some chillies on the bedroom one :newthumb:
WHU Independent

Finally mowed the front and back lawn. Took ages but I'm glad it's done.

Watered the Toms and they are already shooting up.

Watered the onions and spring onion - no sign of growth as yet.

Eatered the plants in the front garden, the lavender and Jack Frost i have planted are coming on nicely.

Apple cherry and plum trees are all flowering lovely and look great.

No growth from the Asparagus or Peppers in planting trays in the Greenhouse yet.

More weeding and turning over the allotment tomorrow.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

WHU Independent wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:48 pm No growth from the Asparagus or Peppers in planting trays in the Greenhouse yet.
They take a while to germinate - Asparagus between 1-2 months depending on variety, I think.
WHU Independent

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:58 pm They take a while to germinate - Asparagus between 1-2 months depending on variety, I think.
cheers mate!
WHU Independent

Weeding and uncovering some of the alotment today - along with watering the Toms and other stuff. Also I cleared the patch of grass in front of the shed totally cleared it of weeds and trimmed it down so you can see the border, Then I sewed some new grass on the bald patch and where I dug up the weeds. Also did some further weeding under some of the established plants and cleared out all the dead leaves and uneccesary plants. Got piles of leaves everywhere so...

.. I bought a really good leaf blower/vac for an amazing £5 off FB market place. The bloke selling it was right out in the sticks (North Scarle) and I suppose it was that cheap as it was a bit of a schlapp getting there. I'm looking on FB MP for a composter now :)

Got my money's worth from the council today. The garden waste bin was full to overflowing. :)