Grow 2021-24

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Re: Grow 2021/2/3

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

jevs wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:24 am SLwO....nice to see you're getting back into it. Where did you sow your sweetcorn and cucumber seeds? It's far too early to be sowing outside and i've not sown mine indoors yet....will probably do courgettes, French and runner beans, sweetcorn, cucumbers and cucamelons next week ready to plant out late May.

As for your onions, when do you plant them? I always get my onions, garlic and shallots planted in autumn (late October ish) The ground still isn't very warm so many things are just sitting there. Give them some time, they should catch up, you might just get a later crop.

Good luck

Oh....nothing wrong with saag aloo :D
In trays indoor. One tray of mixed tomatoes, one of peppers, sweetcorn, cucumber, lettuce and even a few geraniums. Did the same last year but this year nothing.

The stuff I've slung outside in a fit of rage is under plastic but yeah it's a bit early I guess.

Onions doesn't seem to matter. I've got some that have been in since last autumn and some just gone in. Some in bags, some in beds, different types and varieties. Again did same last year and I just can't get bulbs. Garlic does really well though.

Cheers 👍. I like low maintenance stuff and tend to grow a lot of a few things that I know we will use. Would really like to figure out corn and peppers though.

Also looking for advice on watering systems. Part of the veg is a bit remote from the house so trying to find something that will reliably drip feed water for a few days if left. Mainly for tomatoes.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Went pruning crazy a few days ago There was part of my garden I never went nto much as the bushes/trees etc had grown over the fence that deliniates between the garden proper and the back garden. That is no longer the case.

With loppers, secqueters and shears, I got rid of all the, mainly dead stuff, that was overhanging. For the first time since living here for two years I can see the whole fence! Added to that a lot of the crossing dead branches that were rubbing and causing fungus, are now no more and there is a lot more space for air to circulated. Also, a big plus, is that a lot of the garden and trees are no longer in the shade and are getting plenty of sunlight. I've now got plants sprouting new grown already. My rhubarb plant has also made a re appearance!

I've also bought some flowers in seed form and they are already germinating in their little trays. Asparagus is still going bonkers - in and out the greenhouse, plus the two tomato cuttings I bought and repotted are growing lovely. No show on the garlic so far, or the peppers.

I planted a Jack frost two years ago, and it's really taken off. It's blooming nicely. Hostors have really taken off too. I have no idea why the old owner of the house did this, but the goosberry bush next to the Hosters is growing well too.

All in all things are looking up - gardening wise any how. :)
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Who's going along with No Mow May?

As I understand it, this is the peak month for pollinator weeds etc that we're now being advised to just have a few weeks in terms of insect populations, local food chains etc.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:31 pm Who's going along with No Mow May?

As I understand it, this is the peak month for pollinator weeds etc that we're now being advised to just have a few weeks in terms of insect populations, local food chains etc.
Not me. Weeds aren’t allowed in my lawn, but I do have lots of bee friendly flowers and insect hotels for solitary bees.

Full respect for people that do No Mow May. Too much plastic grass around nowadays, so insects need all the help they can get.
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

What a lovely few days on the plot. Not direct sown any seeds but i've grown lots at work so everything is up and ready plus well hardened off.

24 parsnips in the ground
24 parsnips in 2 litre pop bottles (top and bottom cut off and filled with gritty compost)
40 carrots planted
Spring onions thinned and planted
Silverskin onions planted
Leeks split into small clumps and temporarily planted
Giant rhubarb plant taken out giant tub and planted in the ground
Spinach seedlings planted
Fig tree taken out of huge tub and planted in ground
Beetroot seedlings planted (Rainbow and golden)

Plus starting to tidy fruit cage.

The pear, golden plum and cherry trees are absolutely loaded with flowers, strawberries and raspberries starting to flower.

This week i will be starting the courgettes, cucumbers, cucamelon, French and runner beans and sweetcorn off from seed

Busy busy time.
WHU Independent

Weeding, Weeding, Weeding and started to uncover and d-weed the 2nd allotment.

I blought a leaf blower/hoover last year and got it out. Got rid of loads of leaves that have been in the ground for a long long time. When I finished I found that I could see more weeds, so more weeding was required.

Like the poster above, my cherry, pear and apple trees are blooming beautifully, and since I cut down some of my bushes, my other plants have really started growing. I'm also going to re plant my rhubarb as it is in too much of a shady place to prosper properly.
Alan Pardew's Dad

Today, I planted a couple of courgette plants and some pea’s for pea shoots. Potted on a couple of chilli plants and planted some sweet peas. Lovely evening and a nice Bank Holiday
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I've started digging out the front garden, which is currently awful looking fake grass and poorly laid paving stones. I want to put a few bushes/hedge type in, but then have a row of herbs along the front edging the path, as they'll be facing south east, and the front of the house is where all the sunshine is. So far I've got a curry plant in. Thinking about sticking rosemary and thyme in, although I'm wary of putting things next to the curry plant.

I've also managed to get some catnip, which the cat went bonkers over.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Just had lots ads of squawking and kerfuffle in the garden. Suddenly this bloody polecat appeared. First one I've seen.

It ran around the patio a bit then vanished towards next doors chickens.
Alan Pardew's Dad

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:25 pm Just had lots ads of squawking and kerfuffle in the garden. Suddenly this bloody polecat appeared. First one I've seen.

It ran around the patio a bit then vanished towards next doors chickens.
I think you’ve mistaken this for the Growl thread :grin:

Where do you live Sammy? Never knew we had polecats in the UK. I know we have Pine Martens, but they are rare.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:43 pm I think you’ve mistaken this for the Growl thread :grin:

Where do you live Sammy? Never knew we had polecats in the UK. I know we have Pine Martens, but they are rare.
Lol fair point wasn't sure where to post it tbh 😂

We are right on the point were Rotherham/Barnsley/Sheffield meet. The dream zone lol. It's the main road into Rotherham but out the back is quite rural (lucky with the views we have).

Me either. Apparently though there has been a programme of reintroducing them. Other half was shouting she had seen something so we went for a look round. Scared the crap out of me when it ran out from behind the garage. Not as much as a fox jumping off an 8 foot wall and leaving a crater in the gravel but close.
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Polecats are widespread in central and southern England but rarely seen. A small critter....either a Weasel or Stoat ran in front of the car yesterday which was a pleasure to see.

Sowed green and yellow courgettes, outdoor and greenhouse cucumbers, sweetcorn, cucamelon, pumpkins and squash today at work on the heat mats. Unfortunately the weather doesn't look great this weekend so might not get a lot done.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Sendo,

Check out Pittispora for a decorative back of border hedge type plant.

Interesting foliage,evergreen,quite fast growing, reasonably priced

My favourite variety is Elizabeth
WHU Independent

Another day in the greenhouse/garden.

Tore open the tomato grow bag soaked it and then put my three tomato plants in, which already need sticks for support.

Re-arranged the greenhouse so I now have rooms for some garlic and some flowers I am also attempting to grow. I resprayed the weed with a mixture my mate made up and it seems to be doing the job. Chilli's coming on fine as well as peppers.

Uncoverde and turned over allotment no 2 as well. Cut back the bushes/trees that were covering up the sunshine and am now letting it "breathe" and get some rain before raking back over, in preperation for more veg. Am thinking carrots/beetroot atm.

Spring and spanish onions have made a lazarus like recovery and are growing well. I triimmed back the kale plant as it was taking over the plot. I've also got some potatioes sprouting nicely. The oustide asparagus is begining to die back but the stuff in the greenhouse is still growing massively.

I'm loving gardening. I love the destructive element and planning, the growing and eating no so much. Ilook at what i've grown and think "I've grown that from a seed, I can't eat it!"
KierZ
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by KierZ »

Everything seems relatively slow this year.

Tomatoes just potted on but are much slower this year
Sweetcorn seeds were not happy. only 1 germinated out of 6 but I picked up a few packs of seeds in the Thompson & Morgan sale last weekend

Now got 16 more corn seeds in propagators, with some squash and some runner beans hoping they come through.
Alan Pardew's Dad

KierZ wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:17 pm Everything seems relatively slow this year.

Tomatoes just potted on but are much slower this year
Sweetcorn seeds were not happy. only 1 germinated out of 6 but I picked up a few packs of seeds in the Thompson & Morgan sale last weekend

Now got 16 more corn seeds in propagators, with some squash and some runner beans hoping they come through.
All my garden is weeks behind where it normally is.

Just put a couple of courgette plants out. Hope I’ve not gone too soon.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:35 pm Hope I’ve not gone too soon.
My corn (and courgettes, peppers, cucs etc) will not be going out until 1 June.
Alan Pardew's Dad

Up the Junction wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:33 pm My corn (and courgettes, peppers, cucs etc) will not be going out until 1 June.
I’m definitely suffering with premature cultivation then
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Ha... that's the beauty of all this caper APD, there's no 'one size fits all' solution!

I'm a little more conservative with dates/last frosts, being a little further N than many of yers. Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour!

(Note to self: install fruit and veg emojis)
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I am in no way a gardener. A bit of weeding and mowing basic maintenance is my limit.

But our back garden has a lower concrete patio, and an upper grass area, separated by a fence, with an arch in the middle that had a huge bush growing around and over it. The fence blew down in the winter, the arch was lop sided and rotting, so in a moment of creative madness I ripped the whole thing down, dug up the roots and all the plants that were behind the fence, so I could sew grass and just have an open back garden with the lawn up to the edge of the patio.

The grass was sewn about 10 days ago. I have used the old fence as a mesh over the top on bricks to protect the ground, and after 7 days of nothing except me actually watering the area, I've been enjoying seeing the little green carpet starting to appear underneath.

Stupid really, but it's become quite fulfilling, feeling you have created something new from scratch.