Everton 0-1 West Ham Utd (01/01/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton v West Ham United: match thread 01/01

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Thought it was an excellent performance, and hat's off to Moyes for his squad rotation during the 3 games in 6 days. Can't believe how well Dawson has played in his first 2 games, he's been mostly solid, was under the impression that we had signed the worst Defender in league reading some of our fans comments about him.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

When Yarmolenko comes on he's either going to win the game with a moment of brilliance or lose the game with a stupid flick. We can't have our cake and eat it with him but I love him for it. Since the Arsenal mistake he's worked hard tracking back so I'm very happy for him to get 20 minute cameos once Bowen's race is run to try and unlock the defence.

After that stupid flick he recovered with a clever dink to Soucek that ended up eventually in the goal and 3 points we are all celebrating. Without his introduction we lose at home to Brighton. Just accept he's a flawed magician and enjoy the ride.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Absolutely Hawkins

He is a class player who nearly always creates something out of relatively nothing

He was also in the right place to turn in Cresswell''s shot if it hadn't deflected off Mina

I couldn't care less if he isn't as good defensively as other players (although he definitely put a shift in yesterday and vs Southampton), or that he gives the ball away now and again trying something a bit risky

We need players like that the way we play
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:46 am When Yarmolenko comes on he's either going to win the game with a moment of brilliance or lose the game with a stupid flick. We can't have our cake and eat it with him but I love him for it. Since the Arsenal mistake he's worked hard tracking back so I'm very happy for him to get 20 minute cameos once Bowen's race is run to try and unlock the defence.

After that stupid flick he recovered with a clever dink to Soucek that ended up eventually in the goal and 3 points we are all celebrating. Without his introduction we lose at home to Brighton. Just accept he's a flawed magician and enjoy the ride.
The great thing about his first 'dink' was that it was into an area which occupied the attention of 3 Everton defenders, so that they were in disarray when the first shot was saved. This led to the comical situation of the player who actually kept Soucek onside standing there with his arm raised, as Tom slotted home the ricochet off Cress' shot.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I think it is just such a shame we haven't got another match today. I'm ready for it
Carlton Di Cottee
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Carlton Di Cottee »

I think this is the formation/style Moyes wants us playing ideally, managed to be defensively sound as a team with 4 at the back.

The 4 forward players worked their socks off but each of them only showed quality on the ball sporadically. Getting them settled and more cohesive will be the next step for Moyes.

Great to have Mic back, even if he's still holding back on sprinting. Whether it's the system not suiting him, he's out of form, or he's just crap... the difference between Haller and Mic is huge.

Dawson was very good apart from the missed clearance where he 'injured' himself. I'm very suspicious that was the centre back equivalent of pointing out a divet in the turf after a shocking miss.

Benny's hair looks like a cycle helmet.

Oggy motm with rice not far behind. Those two really are up there with the best players in the league.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

We had the better chances I thought. Fornals should of buried that header and Antonio had one at the end he should of put his laces through to put us 2-0 up.

A game played at good intensity though (more so in the 2nd half) and I think Everton would have settled for the point but we kept pushing, the goal was slightly fortunate but Soucek was in the right place for the flick-in.

Moyes deserved that win, and for the last two games we’ve been positive in two tricky fixtures. It makes the Brighton set-up look even more bewildering but he admitted it was a mistake and I won’t keep banging on about it.

Nice break for the squad now and should see some fringe players getting a run out in the Cup game in 9 days time.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:46 am When Yarmolenko comes on he's either going to win the game with a moment of brilliance or lose the game with a stupid flick. We can't have our cake and eat it with him but I love him for it. Since the Arsenal mistake he's worked hard tracking back so I'm very happy for him to get 20 minute cameos once Bowen's race is run to try and unlock the defence.

Good summary.

I'd still sell him in a flash if someone offered £5m+. Despite his qualities, he's on huge money and is not a viable starter. Haller and he must be the slowest pair of attacking players ever to grace the premier league
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

It's a bit worrying that England's no.1 goalkeeper cannot put the ball into a safe area after making a save.

Our goal may have seemed a bit lucky to some but Pickford should have dealt with it better , he did the same with the free kick earlier.

Our keeper put his one save out for a corner

I still think we give the ball up to easily when transposing between defence and attack too many times we seem to try to play glory balls.

Thoroughly pleasant to get the rub of the green late on but my immediate thought was that I bet VAR has something to say, it didnt :)
Last edited by old fart on Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Yarmolenko is a great option as is Lanzini. We shouldn’t be looking to move either of those on as both have the quality to change or influence a game.

We’ve seen that in the last 3 games over this Xmas period.

Agree on Oggy getting mom. An absolute beast at the back, won everything.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Hopefully time for players to get a bit of a rest. Excellent effort yesterday. Hopefully we can strengthen too.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Pepin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:53 am I do not usualy rate referees, but Kevin Friend was excelent today imo.
Yes I thought so too, he wasn't standing for any of their diving nonsense and he really let the game flow. Although we still didn't see any yellows for simulation, in fact I haven't seen any all season, just a ticking off. Has the rule changed?
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Ogbonna was MOTM for me, but you could give it to Rice or Soucek and I wouldn't argue.

I really didn't expect us to get anything out of last night. But we played really well, another great defensive performance, we created the better chances and were deserving of the win.

5 points from the last 3 games is a great return. Sitting comfortably in 10th and looking up instead of down, is a nice feeling.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Well done Moyes and his back room staff.

Some of the lads looked leggy and absolutely spent but they all put in an effort. Joint fifth!

Not the greatest of games to watch but to come away with 3 points was excellent and totally un West Ham like. Loving it.

Oggy an absolute rock at the back. HOTY for me so far. Rice and Soucek did their jobs, solid and worked so hard for the side and both were absolutely hanging out of their back sides at the end.

Randolph had hardly anything to do all game and shows how hard we worked to nullify a quite poor Everton side in the end.

Coufal solid at right back again. Not as pacy as Fredericks but you can rely on him to defend and get forward (sometimes).

We do look a different side with Antonio playing. The players look more confident with him up front. Benrahma still finding his feet at this level but a better performance last night.

What was the Dawson injury all about?

Cant wait for the oppo view. love to read what those self entitled deluded mugs thought of the game.
Geoff Hurts
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 252 likes

Post by Geoff Hurts »

old fart wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:44 am It's a bit worrying that England's no.1 goalkeeper cannot put the ball into a safe area after making a save.

Our goal may have seemed a bit lucky to some but Pickford should have dealt with it better , he did the same with the free kick earlier.

Our keeper put his one save out for a corner

I still think we give the ball up to easily when transposing between defence and attack too many times we seem to try to play glory balls.

Thoroughly pleasant to get the rub of the green late on but my immediate thought was that I bet VAR has something to say, it didnt :)
Not popping at anyone, but Soucek doesn't sit on his heels and follows in as soon as he sees Cresswell strike the ball.

I am sure Man Yoonited weren't complaining the other day when they got a 'flukey' deflected goal in the last few minutes. You make your own luck. If you are in the oppositions penalty area and it is crowded anything can happen, but you have to take a shot or put the ball in the mixer for that something to happen, do you not?
Last edited by Geoff Hurts on Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Yarmalenko has won us more points than he’s lost us. Quality footballer
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

Wrong thread
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Re Soucek's goal. I don't believe there's such a thing as luck, I consider it to be 'preparation meeting opportunity'. The goal illustrates this perfectly. Soucek saw a shot was incoming and got himself into a position (preparation) to capitalise on a rebound (opportunity).
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

My thoughts on Yarmo - he hasn't really had a chance to stamp his authority on our game. How with only the odd cameo? As such he is not really integrated into the squad and its movements and has to try and do his own thing. Also, he looks a bit ungainly when sprinting which makes people think he is slow. Think again and watch the (numerous) occasions over the last few games when the ball is lost up front and he sprints back to do some crucial defending.

Had a gander at a few Everton forums as well. They are disgusted with their own lack of effort but also recognise that they've been Moysed :lol: Well, they should know ...
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/thre ... st-8385987 or
What I hate about Everton are all the whiney fans who flip flop with their opinions about players by the second. You should all look in the mirror and see what's really responsible for the situation at our club and that's constant moaning and no consistent backing for our players. We win one, two, three, four games and everybody loses their minds: "We will pull a Leicester." Where is the humility and the realism? We lose one game and suddenly we're bound for a decade and the Championship and all our players are lousy. How would you perform at your jobs if everytime you had a just about average day at work and people would start booing and hurling insults at you? We're the Schalke to Liverpool's Dortmund. You know what good supporters get right? They maintain a sense for real life and they back even their most mediocre players as their own. Get behind Davies, get behind Siggy, get behind Seamus. Especially the disrespectful slander against Seamus is so infuriating. Sure, we need better players. But defecating all over a humble, loyal servant to our club who happens to be as decent a human being as seems possible for a modern football, I can't understand this nonsense. We have to be better as fans. Especially those that frequent Goodison. I'll catch a lot of flack for this, but most of you will know there's truth to this.
Rings a bell, doesn't it? All in all I have to say that I quite enjoyed their forum. Level headed bunch of lads who want to see their club do well but get disappointed time and again. There was even talk about bringing Moyes back :D