The Cresswell Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Turns to Stone »

It's also worth remembering that Cresswell has risen from bang average to near pre-injury levels of performance over teh last 18 months. Aside from lacking a little pace, he has been a very strong performer and has been nearly back to his best in the last couple of seasons.

As I've mentioned before, what we really need now is something akin to the bump in performance that we received when Soucek replaced Noble. There's nothing wrong with Cresswell though - he has just reached a stage in his career when his performances really are starting to dip again - which is completely understandable. We don't have a sufficient reserve, so it's time to get a starter in.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:24 pm It's also worth remembering that Cresswell has risen from bang average to near pre-injury levels of performance over teh last 18 months. Aside from lacking a little pace, he has been a very strong performer and has been nearly back to his best in the last couple of seasons.

As I've mentioned before, what we really need now is something akin to the bump in performance that we received when Soucek replaced Noble. There's nothing wrong with Cresswell though - he has just reached a stage in his career when his performances really are starting to dip again - which is completely understandable. We don't have a sufficient reserve, so it's time to get a starter in.
Noble to Soucek is the sort of thing I see and hope for as well.

A more complete and dynamic Left Back would be mega for us.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

The Cresswell Thread

Post by davids cross »

Re: Cresswell.

I'm one for looking for another left back. I've made no secret of that. At least for good competition.

But I absolutely hate the way (yes, I went to look on twitter).....that there are so many idiots posting under the flag of this club, who are quite frankly......insane, loopy, nutters.....Our fans were great once. Really special.

Anyway this fella.

Barnsley Womens fan
@KURTZ0UMA
Replying to
@WestHamViews_
and
@ExWHUemployee
Cresswell means nothing to any member of this fanbase anymore unfortunately

Well, he means a huge lot to me. He's been part of the fabric of this team for a long time now.......(especially in the type of era we now live in). He's a huge character. He now knows West Ham better than most. And yet, you get people like that just outright disrespecting a loyal player like him.

Apologies for slight off topic.....carry on.

It makes my testicles thunder to be honest. West Ham have some of the thickest fans in the country. I'm really sad to say it.....and it's only twit
ter but he really is representative of a lot of what we see from West Ham fans now.

I always thought the word "supporter".....meant being supportive. Because if West Ham fans can't be supportive of West Ham, why the hell are we even bothering.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

davids cross wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:30 pm But I absolutely hate the way (yes, I went to look on twitter).....that there are so many idiots posting under the flag of this club, who are quite frankly......insane, loopy, nutters.....Our fans were great once. Really special.

Anyway this fella...

Cresswell means nothing to any member of this fanbase anymore unfortunately...

And yet, you get people like that just outright disrespecting a loyal player like him.
The Football Manager / FIFA generation - if a player has no value on the PlayStation, he has no value in real life.
HammerTime86
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by HammerTime86 »

davids cross wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:30 pm I always thought the word "supporter".....meant being supportive. Because if West Ham fans can't be supportive of West Ham, why the hell are we even bothering.
I was sent this the other day and it made me a little sad - especially the bit about a new type of fan.

Last edited by HammerTime86 on Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it was off-topic. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: The Cresswell Thread

Post by Colours never run »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it was off-topic. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

HammerTime86 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:45 pm I was sent this the other day and it made me a little sad - especially the bit about a new type of fan.
Surely a parody - Newcastle in the European Super League?!?1
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Cresswell is a bit of a funny one; I think he’s an awful LB but a pretty good LCB.

When he plays LB, we can all see he’s regularly targeted by the opposition. He’s defensively poor, and doesn’t have the speed or athleticism to make up for any mistakes he makes. In that position, he seems to give the ball away so often with his aimless floated hoofs down the line. He does have a decent cross and set piece on him, but I don’t think that’s enough to warrant a starting place for a top half team in the PL.

But when he plays LCB, he looks a different player. He looks more confident on and off the ball, possibly because he doesn’t have to rely on his pace (or lack of). He also knows that he has a CB and LWB to help him out if needed, so he’s committing to tackles and headers more regularly than if he was playing LB. His passing is also better as he has more options available to him and he can whip crosses in from a slightly different (and more dangerous) angle playing more centrally.

I know he’s a “loyal servant” and all that, but he has been compensated pretty handsomely playing for this club, which is something we all need to remember, and I imagine he’ll be forever grateful to us for giving him the platform we have. We’ve also shown him a huge amount of loyalty following many runs of poor form during his time with us.

If we were able to bring in a more dynamic LB to replace Cresswell, then we’d have a more solid defence but we’d also be able to utilise a LW more offensively, too. Keeping him around the squad is important, as he seems like a decent and well-liked bloke, but for us to progress we need him as a back-up LB and someone who can play LCB in a back three if/when we change to that formation.
HammerTime86
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by HammerTime86 »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:56 pm Surely a parody - Newcastle in the European Super League?!?1
Haha. It was sent by my wife's uncle - a Geordie. And I know he would have been absolutely straight faced when he sent it.

Actually, ESL... Newcastle. Maybe it was actually prescient!
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Cresswell has always been good offensively. It’s defensively where he is a liability.

The criticism got worse for him after his injury and certainly as the 2nd half of the season progressed. But if you go back and watch closely in the 1st half of the season before his injury, he was just as suspect then. I had Sky Sports on yesterday and they showed a repeat of the opening game of last season. Watch Cresswell for Newcastle’s 1st goal.

Has he been a good servant to this club? Yes.
Is he an important figure in the dressing room? Yes.
Is he as bad as some make him out to be? No.
Should we be looking to bring in a new leftback? Yes.
Does Cresswell still have a big part to play next season on and off the pitch? 100%.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Why did my post about Cresswell get removed from this thread?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:31 pm Why did my post about Cresswell get removed from this thread?
+1. I even got a like :D
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:31 pm Why did my post about Cresswell get removed from this thread?
I did reply to it.

In a nice way..... :crossed: :newthumb:
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Think it was going off topic again,

More onto the fans etc.

:newthumb:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

funky chicken wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:17 pm
Has he been a good servant to this club? Yes.
Is he an important figure in the dressing room? Yes.
Is he as bad as some make him out to be? No.
Should we be looking to bring in a new leftback? Yes.
Does Cresswell still have a big part to play next season on and off the pitch? 100%.
:thup:
Missing Nickel
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Missing Nickel »

Especially with the rumblings on Cresswell being made vice-captain, I think we will have one more season with Cresswell starting most games. I think having Ogbonna/Aguerd to play alongside will help mitigate his limitations just about well enough to justify investing in other areas of the pitch this season.

Depending on how Ashby gets on I have a feeling Moyes is looking at left back as Johnson's position to claim long-term. I think if we don't see a left back come in, Johnson and Cresswell will duke it out for the starting spot with Masuaku as a depth option (a la Fredericks last season behind Coufal and Johnson).
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

HammerAl wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:58 pm Cresswell is a bit of a funny one; I think he’s an awful LB but a pretty good LCB.
Have another look at Frankfurts goal in the first minute.He was lost
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:49 pm This comment was removed by a moderator because it was off-topic. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
That wasn't a dig at Cresswell, that was a balanced argument as to why I think we should now look to upgrade him but keep him in the squad as back-up. :eh:

He's been a great servant down the years but for me, times up for a change in the 1st team position for him.