The Cresswell Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Re: The Cresswell Thread

Post by Up the Junction »

Been a great servant to this football club. One of those who will be greatly missed when he's gone.
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by The Terminator »

Best left back in our Premier League history.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Hammer1972 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:52 am Agreed. I didn't like to see that, we'd be howling if it was done to one of ours...
But it wasn’t so it’s brilliant.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by fester »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:50 am Got lucky not seeing a straight red yesterday.
Although I am inclined to agree, I am reasonably certain VAR spotted Richarlison moved the ball with his hand just before Cress kicked where the ball was a split second before. If Richarlison doesn't do this, it's just clearing the ball and it hitting a player. It usually would be considered a sending off. I suppose it depends whether the whistle had been blown before Richarlison moves the ball with his hand. If it has, it is a sending off. If not, it still usually would be but the fact Richarlison is actively seeking to get Cresswell sent off, the eminently switched-on VAR referee makes the correct moral decision :smiler:
Benaloon
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Benaloon »

Funny how he was giving it to the Everton fans after his goal presumably because of his Liverpool history, but most of them just seemed confused.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Benaloon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:45 pm but most of them just seemed confused.
In other news, water is wet.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Lovejoy2 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:46 pm Best left back in our Premier League history.
My memories of Julian from childhood is one of our greatest ever players, but I'd say that Cresswell was our 2nd best full-back in the Prem era, and arguably one of our most underrated players.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

fester wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:17 pm Although I am inclined to agree, I am reasonably certain VAR spotted Richarlison moved the ball with his hand just before Cress kicked where the ball was a split second before. If Richarlison doesn't do this, it's just clearing the ball and it hitting a player. It usually would be considered a sending off. I suppose it depends whether the whistle had been blown before Richarlison moves the ball with his hand. If it has, it is a sending off. If not, it still usually would be but the fact Richarlison is actively seeking to get Cresswell sent off, the eminently switched-on VAR referee makes the correct moral decision :smiler:
Didn't he pretend he hit him on the face as well? Thought the kick was nearer his chest area?
ginghamdress
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by ginghamdress »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:08 pm Didn't he pretend he hit him on the face as well? Thought the kick was nearer his chest area?
He rolled around holding his face, pretending he had been kicked in the face and not in the chest.
Naughty by Cresswell, but each time I watch it back I just wish Cresswell had kicked him harder.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

The current anti Cresswell feeling seems to have consigned this thread to the doldrums. For a guy who recently passed his 8th anniversary of signing for the club and is now our longest serving player that's disappointing. I understand there's consensus that he needs to be improved upon this summer but the fact is he's been a great servant for the club for almost a decade, a model pro and a key part of 3 of the best top flight seasons this club has produced.

I await the clamour for him to get the starting spot back when we go through a slump at some stage of next season.

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

It's best for everyone if we have another option at left back.

I like Cresswell, but he's the obvious candidate for immediate upgrade. Not having to play every single game would probably help him in the long run too.

Transitioning into a Noble like role for the next couple of years seems the best bet. He deserves a testimonial when he hits 10 years.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

Problem is BF, he only has 12 months left on his contract so we'd have to give him a new one for that to happen.

The time to phase him out is now, but would be a decent squad option.
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 318 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

MB wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:04 am Problem is BF, he only has 12 months left on his contract so we'd have to give him a new one for that to happen.

The time to phase him out is now, but would be a decent squad option.
I would not object to a 2 year deal for Cress, as a squad option.
Mullhull
Has liked: 333 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Can't forgive him for Frankfurt.

Been a model pro though, definite first choice for an upgrade but that doesn't mean he's done with us.

His position is just the weakest link in the squad.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 22 likes

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by clawhammer »

Can I just say that I have a conscious bias against all things Spursy.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by ornchurch ammer »

clawhammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:03 am Can I just say that I have a conscious bias against all things Spursy.
I think a lot of people have the same with Cresswell at the moment.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 507 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:36 am I think a lot of people have the same with Cresswell at the moment.
Damn right.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The vast majority of Cresswell's assists and goals are set pieces
Not that is not dismissing them, but shouldn't be used as part of a comparison to other full backs

Also, looking purely at assists is not the only yardstick to determine the attacking prowess of a full back. equally as important is their involvement in attacking play - can the carry the ball forward, can they play quick passes with the midfield to create space for others, can they play attacking passes through the line to either their winger or the CF, are they comfortable spreading play to the other flank, can they beat their opposition winger in a dribble

Let's be honest, Cresswell is pretty basic at all of those things - plus he can't defend very well

If you are not going to improvie on Cresswell defensively, you may as well get a LB in who is better at all of the above
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 1634 likes

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by chalks »

Anyone browsing the site for the first ever time would think Cresswell is the worst player we've ever had :chin:
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 500 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

LeonRivers wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:58 am And Cresswell had to recover from serious knee ligament damage.

Wow. Some people really keen to slag off their own. Clutching straws with that one, I’m afraid.
No ones slagging off anyone. In my opinion Reguillon is a better player especially in transition and carrying the ball at pace going forward.

I don't base it all on stats. Pablo runs his bollox off each game doesn't get an assist or goal awarded for doing so does he.