The Cresswell Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Re: The Cresswell Thread

Post by mumbles87 »

funky chicken wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:17 pm Cresswell has always been good offensively. It’s defensively where he is a liability.

The criticism got worse for him after his injury and certainly as the 2nd half of the season progressed. But if you go back and watch closely in the 1st half of the season before his injury, he was just as suspect then. I had Sky Sports on yesterday and they showed a repeat of the opening game of last season. Watch Cresswell for Newcastle’s 1st goal.

Has he been a good servant to this club? Yes.
Is he an important figure in the dressing room? Yes.
Is he as bad as some make him out to be? No.
Should we be looking to bring in a new leftback? Yes.
Does Cresswell still have a big part to play next season on and off the pitch? 100%.
his attacking ability has been overated a bit aswell. the 20/21 season he got 8 assists.. wasnt it just 1 from open play and 7 from corners? where as coufal got 7 assists.. all from open play.. but can also defend fantastically

I like cresswell and think he has his place as back up now.. if he is our first choice this season we arent going to improve
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by NedN »

Cresswells role could also be as a dedicated set piece sub, which could now be a thing with 5 subs. Give him a net to kick some balls into on the sideline to stay warm, and with 10 min left swap him in lol
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

NedN wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:52 am Cresswells role could also be as a dedicated set piece sub, which could now be a thing with 5 subs. Give him a net to kick some balls into on the sideline to stay warm, and with 10 min left swap him in lol
Cresswell has scored 4 goals from free kicks his entire career

3 for us

Let's not pretend he is Leighton baines

He is more than replaceable as a free kick taker
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

NedN wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:52 am Cresswells role could also be as a dedicated set piece sub, which could now be a thing with 5 subs. Give him a net to kick some balls into on the sideline to stay warm, and with 10 min left swap him in lol
Worked that time we brought our dedicated penalty taker on at the last minute...oh, hang on.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Cresswell is a good passer out of defence. Actually, a good passer in general. Whilst some float the idea of Johnson for when we're under the cosh, he will need to better his passing, too.
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

Wilko1304 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:16 pm Cresswell is a good passer out of defence. Actually, a good passer in general. Whilst some float the idea of Johnson for when we're under the cosh, he will need to better his passing, too.
One of the problems, in fact the main problem, I have with our style of football is that we tend not to pass the ball out of defence when under pressure but just lump it away, with the result that 9 times out of 10 it just comes straight back. In an ideal world we would manage games much better when we are leading and, as anyone who is involved or watches football knows, the best way to stop the opposition damaging you is to hold the ball.

Even a team of 11 Lionel Messis can't score if it doesn't have the ball.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

The addition of Areola as #1 and Aguerd at LCB should see us improve our progression out from the back. If Zouma can remain fit we would also have a more progressive RCB, where we had Dawson last season.

Still have a sneaky feeling that we could be changing system, but I guess we will wait and see.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Wilko1304 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:16 pm Cresswell is a good passer out of defence. Actually, a good passer in general. Whilst some float the idea of Johnson for when we're under the cosh, he will need to better his passing, too.
Agree with that, and Cresswell has a great first touch to go with it.

On the down side, he has a tendency to wait for the ball to come to him, meaning an opponent can get to it first
NedN

Post by NedN »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:04 am Cresswell has scored 4 goals from free kicks his entire career

3 for us

Let's not pretend he is Leighton baines

He is more than replaceable as a free kick taker
Was thinking corners or crosses in…not thinking about scoring them, more assisting from them…
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

NedN wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:37 pm Was thinking corners or crosses in…not thinking about scoring them, more assisting from them…
Last season, from open play he only 'assisted' Said's solo goal at Genk and our last minute winner at Kidderminster knocking the ball back across the goalmouth. He didn't assist a goal from what you think of as a conventional cross.

He got some from corners, but Bowen and Fornals combined got more. I think the corners of Bowen and Fornals are more dangerous, plus it means we don't have to use a fullback to take them and compromise ourselves on the counter. We also still keep a very good left and right footed corner taker.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

NedN wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:37 pm Was thinking corners or crosses in…not thinking about scoring them, more assisting from them…
we have equal if not better corner takers in fornals and bowen

we dont need cresswell to take them

I mean if he is on the pitch then nothing wrong with him taking them but we wont miss him being off the pitch for his corners etc as someone else can replace
NedN

Post by NedN »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:06 pm we have equal if not better corner takers in fornals and bowen

we dont need cresswell to take them

I mean if he is on the pitch then nothing wrong with him taking them but we wont miss him being off the pitch for his corners etc as someone else can replace
I guess my point was, with 3 subs, you’d never sub a player into a defensive role if you were chasing a game with 10 min left, you’d add attacking players in.

We’re add an odd moment in time with the five sub rule. You actually would make the same attacking subs as normal, but you’d still be left with 1 or 2 subs after doing so. What do you do with that? You could do nothing, or you could put fresh legs into defensive or midfield positions that offer something additional.

Ie, with three subs, late in a game you’re chasing you wouldn’t normally put in Cress or Dawson because they both are dangerous at corners, because you would need those subs for fresh legs (or more bodies) in attack. With 5 subs now, maybe you would…
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

JonG86 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:03 pm The addition of Areola as #1 and Aguerd at LCB should see us improve our progression out from the back. If Zouma can remain fit we would also have a more progressive RCB, where we had Dawson last season.
Personally I think Zouma is comfortably our worst CB with the ball at his feet. The tell is the habit of not anticipating movement and simply passing to where the player was rather than where he’ll be by the time the pass arrives. You often see Cresswell having to check his progress to pick up a ball that’s slightly behind where he was planning to be, even on routine balls along the back line with no one pressing.

I’m shocked he survived at a CL level club as long as he did.
Doctor Mopp
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Doctor Mopp »

Cress reminds me of a late stage Kevin Nolan, he has lost a little of his acceleration and he is just finding himself exposed by being a step behind play now.

Great servant but has fallen away from his high standards of the past, shame but time catches up with everyone in the end.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Doctor Mopp wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:22 pm Cress reminds me of a late stage Kevin Nolan, he has lost a little of his acceleration and he is just finding himself exposed by being a step behind play now.

Great servant but has fallen away from his high standards of the past, shame but time catches up with everyone in the end.
He backs off as he doesn't want to get beaten. But he backs off too much.

His dual win % is not too bad. But he probably contests half the battles he should and just concedes ground.

The 2nd and 3rd goals tonight were not his fault directly imo. But backed off way too much. But the other option is the first goal.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I love Cresswell as much as anyone. But we’re at the stage now when the opposition’s manager and players must be licking their lips when they see he is staring for us.

It’s not the player’s fault Moyes is too stubborn to drop him. And so far for some reason still hasn’t signed a leftback to fight for that spot.

The moment I saw Moyes still keep Cresswell in the starting 11 away at Norwich, only days after he let his teammates down (again) in the Europa, I knew Moyes was never going to drop him no matter what.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

He’s lost his mojo.
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Shockingly bad defender, gets targeted by the opposition and costs the team every time he plays. He's a car crash waiting to happen. Get rid and replace ASAP.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

The floated ball .....or driven ball over his left shoulder had been a problem for him for many years. I mentioned it under Allardyce.

It's become even more exposed. And I suspect every single team now look to attack this. He gets disorientated very easily....but he's still ok on the ball......but it's not enough now.

It's old father time at work. Cress should be back-up to someone else. But I like him at the club. A good lad...and character. But not free from the feeling of wanting and needing to change him.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

He’s cooked I think. Hate to say it but the late stage Nolan comparison is apt.

Disaster if he is starting Left Back for us this season.