The Cresswell Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Re: The Cresswell Thread

Post by fmgod »

Got a tiny bit of stick the other day when I said, Shaw at United going forward is awful compared to Cresswell, going forward his left foot and play is of a top player, now we've got a solid side defensively his weaknesses as such don't get exposed anywhere near as much and due to this he is shining as attacking wise for a left-back he is an absolute weapon.

It will sound stupid but going forward there is barely a left-back I would swap him for, I think him and Chilwell are very similar overall, both not amazing but half-okay defensively but going forward give width and are capable
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

His first touch/close control is apparently getting better.

I know its a confidence thing too, but he is taking down those long, often crossfield passes with ease.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Lovely pen last night. I know that
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

One of our unsung heroes and under-rated players down the years. Used correctly, then you have a serious attacking Left Back on your hands who can do a bit defensively too. I like how much he genuinely enjoys playing for our Club too. Will miss him when he eventually retires here too. Not for a few more seasons yet though. :thup:
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

fmgod wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:54 am Got a tiny bit of stick the other day when I said, Shaw at United going forward is awful compared to Cresswell, going forward his left foot and play is of a top player, now we've got a solid side defensively his weaknesses as such don't get exposed anywhere near as much and due to this he is shining as attacking wise for a left-back he is an absolute weapon.

It will sound stupid but going forward there is barely a left-back I would swap him for, I think him and Chilwell are very similar overall, both not amazing but half-okay defensively but going forward give width and are capable
Agree going forward plus his set pieces makes him almost impossible to replace in the future

Going to be a conundrum
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:32 am One of our unsung heroes.
He really is. Along with Johnson. Solid 7/10 performances week in week out. That left foot of his is a bit of a wand.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Someone recently mentioned his first touch.

Made a point of watching him last night, and it's true, his first touch is nothing short of sublime.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

When I talk to mates who support other teams, he's often seen as one of our most important players from outside. An absolute model pro and Mr.Assist.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Korea Hammer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:56 am When I talk to mates who support other teams, he's often seen as one of our most important players from outside. An absolute model pro and Mr.Assist.
Fantasy football helps that. He’s a point magnet.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

He's unfashionable and will always be on some's 'replace' list each summer... but the fella has been mustard for about 18 months.

He is probably the player who has benefitted most from the coaching team around him.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I think I can recall him getting the most Assists under Pellegrini too and was always creating plenty for Bilic too. The injuries took its toll for a spell but like Antonio seems to be over the worst of it and hasn't looked back since.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - since the start of last season he has been one of the best left backs in the League. I also think he is another member of our squad that should count himself unlucky to not be in the England squad.
yakandyeti
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

westlondonhammer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:20 am He's unfashionable and will always be on some's 'replace' list each summer...
For me a new left-back is not about replacing him it's about replacing Masuaku who I wouldn't trust in a 4, meaning the whole system needs to change when he plays.

Hopefully, the competition then raises Cresswell's game further, lets him have some games off as he gets older. Yes, they may displace him, and if they can bloody brilliant as we've stepped up another level as they need to be good to do that and I'd say that about every player in our team, but good luck to anyone trying to displace Deccers.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

S-H wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:54 am Someone recently mentioned his first touch.

Made a point of watching him last night, and it's true, his first touch is nothing short of sublime.
Yep, kills it stone dead every time. Can't remember the last time he mis controlled a ball.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

He’s a player I’m a bit smug about. I could never understand the last 2 seasons people begging for him to be replaced. He’s been one of our best players for the past 3 seasons now.

He’s brilliant going forward but he’s also a leader at the back, he’s constantly barking orders and telling players to get in like etc, he doesn’t get enough credit for that.

He’s been here since 2014, he’s proper West Ham.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Like Bowen, he sufferers from unsung hero syndrome.
He isn't fast, he isn't tall but he knows his trade as good as and LB in the league now. I recall many clubs used to actively target him as he was seen as our achilies heel and some clubs still do but with not much success.
blahblahblah
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by blahblahblah »

In the past teams would target him a lot. The cross-field balls always scared me because he used to get caught out on a lot of those which led to so, so many goals. Thankfully that has not happened in a long time. Even when teams do try it, Cresswell does not try go for a dangerous header (which he used to miss) instead opting to be in a good position to defend (which Arthur still has not learned). Another thing helping is that Ogbonna will also shift over and Rice/Soucek will drop back to plug the gaps. Going forward he has also improved. His delivery has always been great, but he's seeing more passes and not over-committing on forward runs that have little chance of succeeding.

In short, he's been excellent.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

To me Cresswell's only real problem is his lack of pace. He'll always lose a man for man race but paradoxically he's often at his best against out and out wingers. Runners from deep trouble him more.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

BigFatSam wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:16 pm He’s a player I’m a bit smug about. I could never understand the last 2 seasons people begging for him to be replaced. He’s been one of our best players for the past 3 seasons now.

He’s brilliant going forward but he’s also a leader at the back, he’s constantly barking orders and telling players to get in like etc, he doesn’t get enough credit for that.

He’s been here since 2014, he’s proper West Ham.
Cresswell did have a noticeable dip in his form after his injury .. he took over a season to get anywhere near what he was

However he has always been good for Moyes

The way Moyes sets up a team suits him. Solid at the back so he is less likely to be overrun
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Being overrun was never his fault though. Even the very best full backs need support at times.