The Cresswell Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Aztec Hammer »

chalks wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:10 am Anyone browsing the site for the first ever time would think Cresswell is the worst player we've ever had :chin:
It's not great to have to identify and write about it, but I think it's more so that for most, he's the weakest player in our starting lineup at the moment.

Frankfurt (and Lyon) didn't help him though, no doubt about that.
D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by D C »

chalks wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:10 am Anyone browsing the site for the first ever time would think Cresswell is the worst player we've ever had :chin:
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:17 am Well said TTS.
He has also hardly ever played (probably never) with the luxury of having all of Rice, Soucek, Zouma and Coufal in the team alongside him - or Fornals in front of him

Cresswell has, many times, and still looks very very shaky
Neither are good enough for where we want to be. We really need to buy a left back. Cresswell would be a good backup though. I've got no use for Mas. It's a shame we can't shift him.

Truth be told, Ben Johnson is probably my first choice Left Back at the moment from what we have. For obvious reasons, that's not ideal!
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:17 am Well said TTS.
He has also hardly ever played (probably never) with the luxury of having all of Rice, Soucek, Zouma and Coufal in the team alongside him - or Fornals in front of him

Cresswell has, many times, and still looks very very shaky
Any left back looks better with Ogbonna next to them... and will hopefully do so with Aguerd next to them too. That includes Cresswell, who has been solid for us for years. Overplaying his weaknesses and dismissing what he is good at won't change that.

That said, it is important to have an alternative / heir to the position which we've not had for a while. Masuaku has never really come back from his injury 18 months ago.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

TBF, he is the worst starting player we have and has 12 months on his deal.

I agree though that some the criticism is overblown and with Aguerd and Oggy available for the left centre half slot he can still do a job as they can cover his weaknesses better than what we had at times last season.

There just needs to be a long term plan and the right signing could make that a short term gain as well.
Pob!
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 702 likes

Post by Pob! »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:15 am

Frankfurt (and Lyon) didn't help him though, no doubt about that.
Nobody would be slagging him off if it wasn’t for those incidents…
It’s almost like the guy isn’t human …
The guy has had some shocking words and opinions aimed at him from so called “West Ham“ supporters …
Shameful..
Hopefully he makes them eat their own words this season.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

He’s the weakest link in the starting 11 but he’s definitely this year’s fashionable target as the likes of Winston Reid have been before him. Not saying we don’t need to replace, we do, but some of the criticism seems a little over the top as always.

Is there any substance to the Pellegrini rumours from credible sources?
HammerTime86
Has liked: 402 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by HammerTime86 »

I don't have a voracious, insatiable appetite for progress. Which feels weird when I've written it out. Just want our play to be entertaining, to put a shift in/care and hopefully win more than we lose.

Given that childlike naivety, I've got a lot of time for Cresswell. I don't remember him being unsettled/agitating for a move (when there were rumours/paper talk about Liverpool interest years ago). He's popped up with goals and I think he loves the club (as far as it's possible to discern).

Yeah, he's past his best and yeah, I'd love to have a replacement in place before the season starts. But I can't bring myself to think bad of him.
e20too
Has liked: 666 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by e20too »

Pob! wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:47 am Nobody would be slagging him off if it wasn’t for those incidents…
The guy has had some shocking words and opinions aimed at him from so called “West Ham“ supporters …
Shameful..
Simply not true all it did was expand the already extensive and long term criticism that goes back years now and indeed tailed off a little the season before last when he stepped up his performances somewhat after plenty of criticism prior to that since his injury. Support him or not you can’t claim that criticism on here only really materialised after those two matches, it simply does not represent the true picture.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

The criticism he gets is embarrassing at times, but with some there always has to be a hate figure in the team. We seem to have a couple of them right now, both down our left hand side.

The last few years it's gone in cycles for Cresswell, gets slated by many, plays well, the critics quieten down...

He's been a very good left back for us, but in an ideal world we would have his replacement in to challenge for the role come the new season, same goes for Antonio.
e20too
Has liked: 666 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by e20too »

Hayden wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:53 am He’s the weakest link in the starting 11 but he’s definitely this year’s fashionable target as the likes of Winston Reid have been before him. Not saying we don’t need to replace, we do, but some of the criticism seems a little over the top as always.

Is there any substance to the Pellegrini rumours from credible sources?
Yes too often a lack of realistic nuance as things become predominantly pro or anti the whoever the said target.🎯
Aztec Hammer

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Pob! wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:47 am Nobody would be slagging him off if it wasn’t for those incidents…
Shameful..
The people actually abusing him can be found on that cesspool Twitter. It should go without saying that their 'opinions' are meaningless.

I think there has been a steady criticism of elements of Cress' game for a good few years now. He had a great 20/21 bounce back but those few years before weren't smooth sailing (nor was it for the whole team in general, really).

I'm gutted about what happened in the Europa. But I don't hold it against him. I was at Norwich a few days later with thousands of the real non-Twitter fans giving him a great reception. I still think it's time and want to see him replaced in the starting lineup though.
damo
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by damo »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:08 am
Also, looking purely at assists is not the only yardstick to determine the attacking prowess of a full back. equally as important is their involvement in attacking play - can the carry the ball forward, can they play quick passes with the midfield to create space for others, can they play attacking passes through the line to either their winger or the CF, are they comfortable spreading play to the other flank, can they beat their opposition winger in a dribble
Let's be honest, Cresswell is pretty basic at all of those things - plus he can't defend very well
Nail - head
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

e20too wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:59 amSupport him or not you can’t claim that criticism on here only really materialised after those two matches, it simply does not represent the true picture.
There was nowhere near the same level of criticism. To suggest otherwise is simply mischievous or deliberately deceptive.

Just two hastily sourced references from this season alone, before and after Christmas:

viewtopic.php?t=179365&hilit=aaron+cres ... 0#p6141698

viewtopic.php?t=179365&hilit=aaron+cres ... 0#p6085076
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I see very little outright slagging, but a lot of fairly reasonable points that he's the weak point in our starting 11. And that's pretty clear when you look at who we have to play where. And that's why I think most would want us to sign a first team left back rather than a youthful back up, and to spend money on that rather than, say, an Onana.
Station to Station
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Station to Station »

Regarding Cresswell, Dawson has also made detrimental mistakes in big games over the last couple of seasons and hasn't received anywhere near the same scrutiny. He got sent off against Newcastle and conceded the penalty against Southampton in the Cup. Also got sent off against Chelsea.

Seems to be double standards at play in the way criticism is dished out. Not that either player is deserving of it, they have both been good servants to West Ham.
D C

Post by D C »

Shameful..
This is just lies, plenty on here and around the ground have said he’s not good enough way before Lyon and Frankfurt and way before we even wanted to consolidate at the top end of the table. It’s not shameful or shocking to criticise a bloke that’s made millions off the club for not being up to the standards required. I wish him luck in making people eat their words, he’ll need it
D C

Post by D C »

Station to Station wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:18 pm Regarding Cresswell, Dawson has also made detrimental mistakes in big games over the last couple of seasons and hasn't received anywhere near the same scrutiny. He got sent off against Newcastle and conceded the penalty against Southampton in the Cup. Also got sent off against Chelsea.

Seems to be double standards at play in the way criticism is dished out. Not that either player is deserving of it, they have both been good servants to West Ham.
Everybody knows he was signed as a 4th choice veteran that wasn’t supposed to be playing week in week out so he was cut some slack. Only natural that a bonafide first 11 starter is put under more scrutiny. You won’t find anyone that thinks Cresswell isn’t good enough to start that thinks Dawson is good enough to start

Anyway back in topic, i’d take any LB at this point because at their worst they should be a better option than Arthur or Johnson on the wrong side
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Station to Station wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:18 pm Regarding Cresswell, Dawson has also made detrimental mistakes in big games over the last couple of seasons and hasn't received anywhere near the same scrutiny. He got sent off against Newcastle and conceded the penalty against Southampton in the Cup. Also got sent off against Chelsea.

Dawson was a backup who came in and for the most part did a good job before moving back to the bench.

If Dawson had stayed as our permanent starting CB there would be more scrutiny. But it was recognised that it's a backup player filling in. Cresswell has been and is the permanent starter.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I'm doubling down. He's dead to me. Those two red cards were unforgivable. :thup: