FAC3: Stockport County 0-1 West Ham Utd (11/01/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Re: ⚽ Stockport County v West Ham United : FA Cup 3rd round match thread 11/1/2021

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Stockport County
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=135197

The post-match review: Stockport County
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=135196

Graza

Re: ⚽ Stockport County v West Ham United : FA Cup 3rd round match thread 11/1/2021

Post by Graza »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:36 pm I'll help you out. He's not come in to first team football and had the impact that Alexander-Arnold has at Liverpool or James at Chelsea. Ergo, he's not good enough and should coated off at every opportunity.
I keep forgetting every young player must be an instant world beater or else they are worthless. I really must adjust my expectations...
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by waynepin »

antonio getting some stick is a bit strange, where could he run to they defended deep and in numbers , we never put any early quality crosses for him to attack, they set up like we have against the liverpools and arsenals, knowing if we keep them wide we will deal with crosses all day, keep it nil against as long as possible then try and nick one, we did this a lot under sam, we needed an early goal to change the game and make them come out, it didnt happen so they kept the same shape, good luck to them, we are through thats all that matters, I did wonder if we had lost that game would we have been saying when the ball was holding up in the water the game should have been abandoned, glad that never happened,
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1366 likes
Total likes: 984 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

As an aside when Stockport’s old manager Danny Begara passed away some years ago (bearing in mind he’d moved on since) the club hired two buses so that fans could attend his funeral. They sang his name from the back of the church so the story goes.

Apologies but I had to get this in having heard it last

:thup:
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1366 likes
Total likes: 984 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

...night.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:17 am Ben Johnson is a decent defender, no questions

He can play LB when we are playing a team where we will be on the back foot and under pressure defensively. He is good enough with either foot to play a primarily defensive role, where he is not really expected to carry the ball forward or add impetus to attacks

His attacking play is not good enough to really play as an attacking RB, let alone LB, in a game where attacking is the key requirement
Spot on.

Although, I'm not sure that Coufal is a great attacking right back either.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:11 pm Nobody can deny this is the fittest looking West Ham side in living memory
And the most committed and the most organised.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

waynepin wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:35 pm antonio getting some stick is a bit strange, where could he run to they defended deep and in numbers , we never put any early quality crosses for him to attack, they set up like we have against the liverpools and arsenals, knowing if we keep them wide we will deal with crosses all day, keep it nil against as long as possible then try and nick one, we did this a lot under sam, we needed an early goal to change the game and make them come out, it didnt happen so they kept the same shape, good luck to them, we are through thats all that matters, I did wonder if we had lost that game would we have been saying when the ball was holding up in the water the game should have been abandoned, glad that never happened,
Antonio,Haller. To me neither are or in Hallers case were the problem. We don't create against well organised defensive teams. A lot of teams find it hard to be fair, it's what Benrahma was bought in to do.
We can't keep on blaming forward after forward.
Are they missing sitters?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:25 pm Spot on.

Although, I'm not sure that Coufal is a great attacking right back either.
I agree
He is primarily a defensive old skool full back
As mentioned before he reminds me of Dennis Irwin or Gary Neville
He has stamina to get up and down, a reasonable touch and can certainly cross a ball when has time, but he isn't an attacking full back in the modern sense of the term

Nothing wrong with that btw. It is good to have a proper full back IMHO