The Biden Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: The Biden Thread

Post by Billydinho »

Samba wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:31 pm Dubya certainly had/did lots to criticise him for. I do remember though when Trump was president, some of Bush's harshest critics realised that in comparison to Trump, Bush was almost Obama-like.. Bush was a bona fide politician, Trump was a game show host.
Trump surrendered to the Taliban. Bush didn't.
I didn’t mind Obama but I find the hero worship really strange. He didn’t really do anything when in office other than drop more bombs than any other US president.
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

Billydinho wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:29 am I didn’t mind Obama but I find the hero worship really strange. He didn’t really do anything when in office other than drop more bombs than any other US president.
78 months of continous economic growth, which I think might be a record.

That may not mean a lot to those wanting exciting talking points but it's great for us living here.

And that was coming after the worst recession in 70 years.

No silly personal scandals. Compared to all the other presidents of my adult life he deserves all the plaudits.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Saw something about him visiting Saudi to do some oil deal, don't think it worked out.

https://www.aljazeera.com/program/insid ... udi-arabia

Edit, seems to have received a ton of criticism for this visit, maybe our US based posters might give a US view?
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

He’s been lobbying OPEC to increase Oil output. Sound reasons for a visit I’d say.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Billydinho wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:29 am I didn’t mind Obama but I find the hero worship really strange. He didn’t really do anything when in office other than drop more bombs than any other US president.
Capturing Bin Laden arguably won him a second term.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:32 pm He’s been lobbying OPEC to increase Oil output. Sound reasons for a visit I’d say.
just chucking an idea out there, but wouldn't it make much more economical sense to open up more drilling on US soil ?
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:22 pm just chucking an idea out there, but wouldn't it make much more economical sense to open up more drilling on US soil ?
Think it's an eternal safety net for them while they have some leverage in the world. They want to keep it in the ground
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:22 pm just chucking an idea out there, but wouldn't it make much more economical sense to open up more drilling on US soil ?
No, the Saudís get it out of the ground for pennies, shale is far more expensive to produce.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

EvilC wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:33 pm No, the Saudís get it out of the ground for pennies, shale is far more expensive to produce.
interesting piece here though....and as technology advances.........and make America less reliant in external crises.....

and at (if I read it correctly) at over 100 usd per barrel today that would make quite a few changes in dynamics Shirley ?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Biden has covid.

If he pops his clogs that means America will have a half Indian leader while the UK has full blooded one.

This could be a golden age for the two countries.

It almost feels like a Bollywood movie. I want to start dancing.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

also said he has cancer yesterday, (or maybe the day before) but the press office had to clear up his mis-speak and it referred to a time before...

he's sounding more like Hillary every day..

“I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base.”

–Hillary Clinton, speech at George Washington University, March 17, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... in-bosnia/

Far from running to an airport building with their heads down, Clinton and her party were greeted on the tarmac by smiling U.S. and Bosnian officials. An 8-year-old Muslim girl, Emina Bicakcic, read a poem in English. An Associated Press photograph of the greeting ceremony, above, shows a smiling Clinton bending down to receive a kiss.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:35 pm also said he has cancer yesterday, (or maybe the day before) but the press office had to clear up his mis-speak and it referred to a time before...

“I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base.”

Far from running to an airport building with their heads down, Clinton and her party were greeted on the tarmac by smiling U.S. and Bosnian officials. An 8-year-old Muslim girl, Emina Bicakcic, read a poem in English. An Associated Press photograph of the greeting ceremony, above, shows a smiling Clinton bending down to receive a kiss.
You really think someone think using the present tense instead of the past tense is comparable to making up a story about "landing under sniper fire"?

I would bet you could find an example of any public figure in the world who has made a lot of public speeches making that kind of error.

Don't get me wrong, Biden is too old for the job and shouldn't stand again, but these attempts to "gotcha" him as a demented old loon are getting pretty desperate.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I understand Biden made it clear he wasn’t ever going to stand for a second term. I think the Democrats wanted a heavyweight candidate to displace Trump and then worry about it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Collison Theory wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:48 am

Don't get me wrong, Biden is too old for the job and shouldn't stand again, but these attempts to "gotcha" him as a demented old loon are getting pretty desperate.
so I'm not entitled to an opinion ?

that's how he comes across to me. sorry if it differs and makes me "desperate."
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:41 pm so I'm not entitled to an opinion ?

that's how he comes across to me. sorry if it differs and makes me "desperate."
You're entitled to an opinion, and I'm entitled to give an opinion about what you say!

I just don't understand the comparison. What Hilary said was more about dishonesty, trying to make it sound like she'd been really brave and dramatic. Biden just got a tense wrong in a sentence. I try to follow the Golden Rule, and I misspeak fairly regularly, so I'm not going to mock someone or imply they're losing it just because they do the same.

I wasn't particularly calling you desperate, I don't know if you've seen it but there's been a lot of stories trying to show Biden is losing the plot. I've seen a clip edited to make it look like he misread a teleprompter several times, and not necessarily from American/right wing sources.

End of the day, it's not up for debate that your mental faculties start to diminish when you get older, that's why there's a retirement age in your 60s. Biden is too old for what should be an extremely hard, high pressure job. Their constitution says no one under 35 can stand for President; if that is acceptable, there should be an upper limit of 65 (considering they serve four years, that's basically saying up to 70).
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Collison Theory wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:33 pm You're entitled to an opinion, and I'm entitled to give an opinion about what you say!

I wasn't particularly calling you desperate, I don't know if you've seen it but there's been a lot of stories trying to show Biden is losing the plot. I've seen a clip edited to make it look like he misread a teleprompter several times, and not necessarily from American/right wing sources.
oh okay, it's like "you're entitled to an opinion however wrong it might be..."

my opinion is just that. as is yours. did I say you're opinion is wrong ?

I'll leave it there.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:35 pm also said he has cancer yesterday, (or maybe the day before) but the press office had to clear up his mis-speak and it referred to a time before...

Yeah, but she felt like running..
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:41 pmBiden has covid.
He's being injected with disinfectant as we speak.
As well as having very powerful light, brought into his body.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:05 pm oh okay, it's like "you're entitled to an opinion however wrong it might be..."

my opinion is just that. as is yours. did I say you're opinion is wrong ?

I'll leave it there.
Did Biden write these last few posts for you :lol:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Samba wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:31 am He's being injected with disinfectant as we speak.
As well as having very powerful light, brought into his body.
Mrs Biden loves 'pegging" nights...