The Biden Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Re: The Biden Thread

Post by Shabu »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:50 pm I'm an immigrant from the States AND here in Ecuador.

did both completely legally.

that's the difference.

I fell sorry for the people going about it the right way.

I had a 3 year wait to get into the States.

loads more like how I did it are probably still waiting...and on top of that, hardly ANY background checks. get a ticket and promise to come back. and then don't.
I too am an immigrant. My mum is an immigrant. My wife's parents are immigrants as are 90% of the people in my street. The only people on my street with ties to America more than one generation are the black families whose ancestors were brought here (LEGALLY according to the laws of the times) as slaves stolen from Africa. The fact is us white guys can bleat on about doing thing legally but we're the ones making the laws to suit us, aren't we.

I remember being in a bar in Florida about four years ago & a bunch of fox news watching snowbirds were complaining about the immigrants coming from the south.

"They have diseases" said one.

"They're carrying weapons" said another

"They want to change our way of life" complained a third

"They're not like us" claimed the fourth.

They were old white people in the 21st century but those words could also have been said by the Native Americans 400 years ago. People are always on the move, it's human nature. But fox, and the American conservatives, like to view these immigrants as less than human or lower than us. Especially as they're brown or black.

The irony is that these immigrants are more like how the old white Americans view themselves. Hard working, god fearing, family oriented people trying to improve their lives.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

so are you saying then, there should be NO immigration laws at all, anywhere ?

open borders everywhere ?

how do you get into the States* ? legally or illegally ? you don't have to answer of course...

(*and don't say "turn left at Greenland...." :crylol: )

and as an aside, and there's LOADS of Americans here who do, I DON'T want to change the Ecuadorian way of life. I CAN vote now, but I feel that I shouldn't vote in that if my vote should change their way of life (or help) it's not MY place to do so. if the Ecuadorians want to change their way of life, they can.

I don't complain about "well they should do this or that, that's what we would do in the States."

I'm like, well stay in the States and try to change things there if you want. don't tell Ecuadorians how to run their way of life.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:21 pm so are you saying then, there should be NO immigration laws at all, anywhere ?

open borders everywhere ?

how do you get into the States* ? legally or illegally ? you don't have to answer of course...

(*and don't say "turn left at Greenland...." :crylol: )

and as an aside, and there's LOADS of Americans here who do, I DON'T want to change the Ecuadorian way of life. I CAN vote now, but I feel that I shouldn't vote in that if my vote should change their way of life (or help) it's not MY place to do so. if the Ecuadorians want to change their way of life, they can.

I don't complain about "well they should do this or that, that's what we would do in the States."

I'm like, well stay in the States and try to change things there if you want. don't tell Ecuadorians how to run their way of life.
What I'm saying is that the laws which you are talking about are designed to help you, an immigrant from a wealthy country.

We create these laws then demonise others. Your media is obsessed with demonising brown immigrants & that's why it's an issue with you.

According to these laws George Washington came from a family of illegal immigrants. But he's an old white bloke who came from a family who did so much more damage than any of these people trying to come here now.

You could afford to do things the legal way. That doesn't mean you have more right to emigrate than anyone else.

It boils down to you, a wealthy white immigrant, demonising poor brown immigrants, because they can't afford to follow the laws put in place to help wealthy white immigrants. They're escaping poverty, death squads & cartels. You were escaping chilly winters, Emmerdale Farm & costly petrol.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1593 likes

Post by alf git »

Shabu wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:13 pm .......but those words could also have been said by the Native Americans 400 years ago.
How did that work out for them? :winker:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

alf git wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:04 pm How did that work out for them? :winker:
Terribly, which is why it's ironic when white conservative Americans demonise today's immigrants when they could never, ever do as much damage as us Europeans did, not only in America but pretty much across the globe.

My point is, which Cuenca is completely missing, isn't about the immigrants or immigration but about the way they're portrayed in Conservative media.

They're not terrible people. They're not "rapists & murderers" as trump claimed. They're just terrified families looking for a better life.

An old boss of mine, from Ethiopia, explained to me how America & the West is viewed where he's from. It truly is the land of opportunity, where you'll have a chance. How can you blame people for wanting a chance at a better life. And he & his brother made it. They're both living the American dream with American wives & families & nice houses etc. So now everyone where he's from wants to be able to do what he did. Abe & his brother made it and so can they. They just need to get to America.

Immigration & migration is going to be a major factor in decades to come. As land around the world becomes more inhospitable people will look to escape to 'the West'.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Shabu wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:36 pm What I'm saying is that the laws which you are talking about are designed to help you, an immigrant from a wealthy country.

We create these laws then demonise others. Your media is obsessed with demonising brown immigrants & that's why it's an issue with you.

According to these laws George Washington came from a family of illegal immigrants. But he's an old white bloke who came from a family who did so much more damage than any of these people trying to come here now.

You could afford to do things the legal way. That doesn't mean you have more right to emigrate than anyone else.

It boils down to you, a wealthy white immigrant, demonising poor brown immigrants, because they can't afford to follow the laws put in place to help wealthy white immigrants. They're escaping poverty, death squads & cartels. You were escaping chilly winters, Emmerdale Farm & costly petrol.
that's a complete load of absolute b*llocks mate - you're making an awful lot of unfactual assumptions about what I did and why I did it.

I am not a white wealthy immigrant. I'm white yes, and that's about it.

come from a blue collar background. saved what little money I had and built it up

I don't honestly care what colour your skin is. I know this sounds like "oh I'm liberal but I know loads of.. insert whatever your want.."

had a Kenyan roomate and his brother.. I couldn't care less. I live in a country where pretty everyone but me and my friends are brown. do I look down on them ? honestly no I don't.

thought that you might be a bit more accepting of people you don't know but I guess I completely wrong and you come across on here as holier than thou. and again that a complete load of b*llocks.

I think almost every country in the world are immigrant built to some extent. but that if you want something or have something to offer you should go about it the legal way.

as with everything I try not to break the law in any way, when I drove, many times of course I speeded. got caught. paid the fine.

try to be a good neighbour. kept my yard and the house clean and within the laws. keep my noise down to a minimum, don't be a dickhead.

that's my philosophy on life.

break the law ? paid the consequences. don't like the law ? vote to change it.

that said, I am not going to enter into any more discussions on this because you've made the completely wrong assumptions about me and didn't even bother to ask.

and you haven't even answered my question about what you did, how you did it and why ...

and I haven't made ANY assumptions about you.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:10 am that's a complete load of absolute b*llocks mate - you're making an awful lot of unfactual assumptions about what I did and why I did it.

I am not a white wealthy immigrant. I'm white yes, and that's about it.

come from a blue collar background. saved what little money I had and built it up

I don't honestly care what colour your skin is. I know this sounds like "oh I'm liberal but I know loads of.. insert whatever your want.."

had a Kenyan roomate and his brother.. I couldn't care less. I live in a country where pretty everyone but me and my friends are brown. do I look down on them ? honestly no I don't.

thought that you might be a bit more accepting of people you don't know but I guess I completely wrong and you come across on here as holier than thou. and again that a complete load of b*llocks.

I think almost every country in the world are immigrant built to some extent. but that if you want something or have something to offer you should go about it the legal way.

as with everything I try not to break the law in any way, when I drove, many times of course I speeded. got caught. paid the fine.

try to be a good neighbour. kept my yard and the house clean and within the laws. keep my noise down to a minimum, don't be a dickhead.

that's my philosophy on life.

break the law ? paid the consequences. don't like the law ? vote to change it.

that said, I am not going to enter into any more discussions on this because you've made the completely wrong assumptions about me and didn't even bother to ask.

and you haven't even answered my question about what you did, how you did it and why ...

and I haven't made ANY assumptions about you.
You are incredibly wealthy compared to those your media has told you to hate. You have led a privileged life, as have the majority of white people born in the West. We may not think it but we are.

Not our fault. We were just born. But we shouldn't look down on people who want a slice of what we have. They're just humans trying to better their, and their families, situation.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

edited and removed
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Think I am going to suggest consensus is not going to be found in this conversation, so it can finish there. :kumb:
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

is there no end to the suckitude of our presidents and politicians?

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

nah, not worth it..I'll get accused of being a racist again..
YGNB
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

It has to be said, Biden's administration is smashing it. Economy growing, dollar extremely strong, unemployment at a 50 year low, inflation falling rapidly, Destroyed one of their main adversary's military with less than 6% of it's military budget and without losing a single troop as well as replacing Russia as one of Germany's main gas suppliers thanks to LNG.

If he were younger he'd be odds on for a second term
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

YGNB wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:03 am It has to be said, Biden's administration is smashing it. Economy growing, dollar extremely strong, unemployment at a 50 year low, inflation falling rapidly, Destroyed one of their main adversary's military with less than 6% of it's military budget and without losing a single troop as well as replacing Russia as one of Germany's main gas suppliers thanks to LNG.

If he were younger he'd be odds on for a second term
Sounds good when you put it like that. The far right will still hate him and the country seems to be veering that way.

As a balance the far left seem strong too.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

YGNB wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:03 am It has to be said, Biden's administration is smashing it. Economy growing, dollar extremely strong, unemployment at a 50 year low, inflation falling rapidly, Destroyed one of their main adversary's military with less than 6% of it's military budget and without losing a single troop as well as replacing Russia as one of Germany's main gas suppliers thanks to LNG.
If you watch right wing news you won't hear of any of those things. Just as if you watch left wing news you wouldn't have heard about any of the good things trump did :eyes:

I was in a bar just before the last election & there were four people talking about Biden & they were saying "Why would I vote for Biden when he & Obama literally did nothing for 8 years".

Yes, they seriously don't know about the longest period of economic growth this country had under Obama. They think he did nothing for 8 years.

Before talking politics to anyone here you should ask "Do you watch Fox, CNN or MSNBC" & if the answer is Yes, just leave them to only talk to others who watch those channels.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the discovery of classified top secret documents at Bidens private residences. It’s also puzzling how this information of FBI carrying out the seasrch of Bidens homes has been kept out of the media spotlight as some of the searches were undertaken before the mid-term elections.
Surely there will be calls from republicans and democrats alike for impeachment trial ?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

FBI search Biden's Delaware home
The FBI is searching President Joe Biden's home in Rehoboth, Delaware as part of an investigation into classified documents, his lawyer says.

In a statement, Mr Biden's attorney said the search was "planned" with the president's "full support".

CBS has reported that the investigation relates to a wider probe into the handling of classified documents.

The FBI has not commented on the search. As it was consensual, no search warrant was sought.

Mr Biden's lawyer, Bob Bauer, said that the search was carried out "without advance public notice" in the interests of "operational security and integrity".

The search is the latest in a series carried out at various locations, following the discovery of classified documents at the Penn Biden Center - an officer space - in Washington DC in November. This was not made public at the time.

Additional documents were discovered at another of Mr Biden's homes in Wilmington, Delaware, in subsequent searches conducted in December and January.

The precise number of classified records recovered remains unclear - although at least a dozen were discovered during the January searches alone.

Mr Biden has said his team did "what they should have done" and are "co-operating fully and completely" with the investigation.

more...
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I don't listen to politicians speak but Biden did his state of the union address last night which is a big deal in the US.

Here's a very good article about the evening from the Independent...

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/re ... 7.html?amp
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2381 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Biden’s quietly making a pretty good fist of an impossible job. Done more in a couple of years than Obama did in two terms.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Morocco Mole wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:23 pm Biden’s quietly making a pretty good fist of an impossible job. Done more in a couple of years than Obama did in two terms.
You might want to look into what Obama actually did, mate.

78 months of economic growth. My pension fund looked fantastic by the end of his time in charge.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2381 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Shabu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:52 pm You might want to look into what Obama actually did, mate.

78 months of economic growth. My pension fund looked fantastic by the end of his time in charge.
What global pandemic/Trumpian dystopia was that off the back of?