Summer Holidays

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

mushy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:09 pm Are you worried about about Covid,Poirot or something else?
Always fancied doing The Nile cruise.
Sinking :crylol:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

We're just back from a week in Lanzarote, at times strange as you have to wear a mask pretty much everywhere but, just so nice to get away.

Now need to book trips for later this year, we will be going to France at least once, Tuscany and Rome in May/June and probably back to somewhere Spanish in September.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:34 pm France. I need to be in France, a lot, this year. Haven't been since 2018, with a spot of luck we'll get a week or two over Easter, and at least that long in the Summer. Sunshine, Atlantic coastline and French bread & wine. That's not too much to ask for, surely?
Great to see you back Dan where the heck have you been, everything ok
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1866 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:10 pm Great to see you back Dan where the heck have you been, everything ok
All good thanks, but needed to prioritise work & family for a bit, so thought I’d keep off here until the dust had settled 👍
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:38 pm All good thanks, but needed to prioritise work & family for a bit, so thought I’d keep off here until the dust had settled 👍
well it's great to have you back mate :heart:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 pm well it's great to have you back mate :heart:
Define "great"
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:38 pm All good thanks, but needed to prioritise work & family for a bit, so thought I’d keep off here until the dust had settled 👍
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:21 pm Define "great"
The opposite to your jokes :grin: :crossed:
Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

I'm in a town called Ixtapa, Mexico and it's FULL of Canadians. The bars are all showing ice hockey & curling.

Canadian accents sound like non Americans making fun of American scents.

Unfortunately they like the same terrible Rock music as the white yanks.

I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MARIACHI
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've just booked a holiday in Tenerife again, but not until September 2023. That keeps the monthly payments low enough so it doesn't mean I have to make too many sacrifices. I went all inclusive last year - which was also my first holiday abroad for about 20 years - and that was nice but we hardly ever left the complex. This time we're doing B&B to force us to get out more. There's also some good mountains to climb that are only a walking distance away and that was a major selling point! It doesn't interest the missus or my son but as I'm the one paying for it, I'd like something there for me too. Only took me 4 and half hours last time to summit one of them and then get back to the complex.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

10 days in benidorm in April. I am dreading it.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Booked a few days in Porto in Feb. Never been before, any recommendations as to the must do and sees?? Cheers - pablo
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:08 pm I'm looking forward to my trip to Wales.
My home country. Whereabouts?

Poland - Germany - Netherlands triple header here in June.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:09 pm My home country. Whereabouts?

Poland - Germany - Netherlands triple header here in June.
I should have said 'many trips'. Snowdonia specifically for the walking. Need to start training a bit more as I'm planning to have another attempt at the Welsh 3000s challenge in the summer.
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

RichieRiv wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:45 am Was looking at Thailand but BA have canned their Bangkok and KL flights until the end of the year, leaving Singapore which still has stringent entry requirements.

So we are off to Parga in the Greek mainland (opposite Corfu).

At the moment I just want some sunshine.
Flew there at XMas to reunite with the familly as it was the only place we could both fly into.

I flew KLM via Schipol and they had the one day quarantine test thing.
Worked fine, picked up from the airport by the hotel rep, stright to test centre in town and on to hotel. Some more forms at the hotel and, by then it was 18:00 - you could have food and drink brought to your room or use Foodpanda (deliveroo), could walk round the car park and have a smoke if you wanted and the results had been mailed to me by 08:00 when i woke up.

As with the UK, you had to have everything official with QRF codes on that absoutley no one checked...hard copies are fine ???

Philippines is set to open up on 12th Feb...by Easter everything should be fine and the great, and very cheap, beach resorts will be open. If you fancy it, swerve Cebu/Boracay and go to Mindanao, much cheaper and more chilled but swerve the Muslim areas...or come to my place and you can be armed for the journey :rofl:
Hampshire Hammer

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:31 am I've just booked a holiday in Tenerife again, but not until September 2023. That keeps the monthly payments low enough so it doesn't mean I have to make too many sacrifices. I went all inclusive last year - which was also my first holiday abroad for about 20 years - and that was nice but we hardly ever left the complex. This time we're doing B&B to force us to get out more. There's also some good mountains to climb that are only a walking distance away and that was a major selling point! It doesn't interest the missus or my son but as I'm the one paying for it, I'd like something there for me too. Only took me 4 and half hours last time to summit one of them and then get back to the complex.
There is some great walking in Tenerife, with well marked hiking trails, some go through lava fields which is very different scenery. The thing I liked was that there is a pretty good local bus service so you can get the bus to the start of a walk and end at another stop, so you don't need a hire car if you don't want one.

Hopefully slightly cooler in September, though the first time I went with my wife it was regularly over 30 in mid september!
Hampshire Hammer

We're currently looking at somewhere near Nerja in Southern Spain for late September.

France in April, driving the motorhome through WW1 battlefields and aiming towards Alsace.

Tuscany/Rome in May/June

Somerset in August

Weymouth early September.
Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

I've been lucky enough to visit over 80 countries but Zihuatanejo is up there with the very best.

Just an incredible place.

We'll definitely be back.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:52 am

I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MARIACHI
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

pablo jaye wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:26 pm Booked a few days in Porto in Feb. Never been before, any recommendations as to the must do and sees?? Cheers - pablo
My highlight was taking the cable car up to Jardim do Morro Park to watch the sun set over the city with some wine and a picnic.

Mostly, though, Porto struck me as one of those places where its best to just mooch around like a local, eating and drinking like a Fifa delegate, rather than dash from site to site.