Summer Holidays

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Shabu »

Planning a trip to a place called ENGLAND next year. Will have been five years since my last visit by then.

Looks like it's much much cheaper to fly into Lisbon from LA. So will start there, head to Marbella area to see some mates then back to Blighty for a week. Hopefully get to see a game at the London Stadium.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Many thanks to you all for the Greece tips,really appreciated :newthumb:
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Shabu wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:26 pm Where abouts are you going, Chelmsford?
I'm pretty sure it's the Akumal Bay Beach place in Riviera Maya. The other option was the Sandos Caracol place in Riviera Maya too. That looked much bigger which we didn't really want.

IMO, i found the Puerto Vallarta side of Mexico slightly more relaxed, but that could have just been the hotel itself as it was a nice compact place and didn't seem busy.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:32 am I'm pretty sure it's the Akumal Bay Beach place in Riviera Maya. The other option was the Sandos Caracol place in Riviera Maya too. That looked much bigger which we didn't really want.

IMO, i found the Puerto Vallarta side of Mexico slightly more relaxed, but that could have just been the hotel itself as it was a nice compact place and didn't seem busy.
I agree. The West side is more laid back and Mexican except for Cabo which is hell.

I'll be in PV in 25 days.

I can't wait to get back to Zihuatanejo though. That place was magical.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

After giving Pablo a few ideas for places to go in Sicily I sold it myself in the process - we booked a week there in early June, and with Crete in September it gives us something to look forward to
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Billy Hunt wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:17 am After giving Pablo a few ideas for places to go in Sicily I sold it myself in the process - we booked a week there in early June, and with Crete in September it gives us something to look forward to
👍🏼 Glad to be of service - however, I could sense your enthusiasm for the place in your posts, so am not suprised you booked something. I’d do the same!! 🤣
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Can someone who understands the rules better than me, help me out.
We have a holiday booked in Austria at the end of July, by then it will be more than 270 days since the missus had her booster. Am I right in thinking that she will need a negative PCR test to travel?
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

Yes, that’s my understanding.

Or be in possession of a COVID recovery certificate which can be applied for within 10 days of a positive test & is valid for 180 days.

Happy to be corrected on any of that.
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Cheers Jennings, hopefully they might relax the rules more at some point as more people will go past the 270 days
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Thinking about Disneyland Paris later on this year. My boy is 6 so kinda want to go while he is still young enough to love the Disney 'magic'.

Anyone been recently? Any big do/don't's?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

jastons wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:33 pm Thinking about Disneyland Paris later on this year. My boy is 6 so kinda want to go while he is still young enough to love the Disney 'magic'.

Anyone been recently? Any big do/don't's?
We went in 2018. It's not actually as big as you would think. We booked for 4 nights, and by day three, we were struggling to find things to do, and eventually we decided to go to other attractions that were within an hour or so drive away.

Depending on how long you want to go for, it may be worth finding an air bnb rather than paying over the odds for official accommodation. We stayed at Davy Crockets Ranch, which was nice enough, but over-priced.

The eateries in the park are ****ing extortionate too.

It's worth a visit, just to say you've done it and it gives your child the memories, but at the end of the day, it is what it is - a means to get you to spend as much money as possible.

I'd still go again though, as it does leave you with a smile on your face. Satisfies the inner child that's within us all.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Re: Santorini, we did 2 weeks there and it was lovely. The only nightmarish places are Oia for the sunset, but stayed in a lovely hotel in Imerovigli, so we got a grandstand view every evening without having to move. Thera is a pain when the day trippers come off the boats but due to its size the mega liners can't get close and the liners only come in a few times a week. Then when to give it a swerve.

I like Greece so this year we are off to Parga on the Ionian coast - south east of Corfu on the mainland. Looks lovely and I desperately need some Vit D that doesn't come from capsules.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I’m at Cap Ferret. It’s gloriously sunny and I’m drunk.
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

RichieRiv wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:40 pm

I like Greece so this year we are off to Parga on the Ionian coast - south east of Corfu on the mainland. Looks lovely and I desperately need some Vit D that doesn't come from capsules.
We went to Parga a few years back, We loved it,(Seem to remember a small square by the harbour with an Oompah band or similar playing there at night :shocker: ) cracking little town, beautiful really.We did stay quite a walk from the centre(funds based at the time) but still superb. Not sure why we've never been back other than the habit of getting flights to Athens and going on the islands.

IIRC I seem to remember you posting before about your liking Greece Richie and that ain't going to change if Parga's anything like it was when we went.

Enjoy!
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

Anyone got any tips for good family hotels in Spain, Greece or even Croatia?
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Big George wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:09 pm Anyone got any tips for good family hotels in Spain, Greece or even Croatia?
I get Wowcher emails and I always see extremely cheap holidays. Has anyone had any experience? Sorry for highjacking. Thought it might be relevant to your query as they always seem great value. Even if they are slightly more expensive when you actually go to book, they still work out as a bargain.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Big George wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:09 pm Anyone got any tips for good family hotels in Spain, Greece or even Croatia?
What sort of hotel you looking for, George?

All inclusive?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I was going to Lisbon a couple of years ago and arranged to meet up with Warp while there. Didn't go because of Covid of course.

I've rearranged the trip for middle of May, but I haven't heard back from Warp.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME, ALL I EVER DID WAS LOVE YOU!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

I haven't heard from him in ages, hope he's OK, miss the geezer.

This place ain't the same without him.

Hopefully you hear from him, before you go mate.
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

S-H wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:32 pm What sort of hotel you looking for, George?

All inclusive?
or bed breakfast.... something with plenty to knacker out and energetic 11 year old.