Summer Holidays

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by ageing hammer »

Mega Ron wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:36 pm You tease it up your Japse Eye (apologies to the world but I don't know any other term for it) and very gently rotate it.

It will work as you want. I guarantee it.

You might like it too.
Just don't stick it up your nose afterwards
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

Mega Ron wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:36 pm Japse Eye (apologies to the world but I don't know any other term for it)
"Meatus". :newthumb:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Billy Hunt wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:14 am Nice part of the world... whereabouts are you staying ?

We did a bit of a driving tour around Sicily a few years back, stayed at a place called Aci Trezza for a few nights, between Catania and Taormina. Loads to see and do, good food and good wine. And the bonus being no boozed up Brits on tour
We’re staying in a place called Acireale, which I think is a short drive north from Aci Trezza. Whilst I’ve been to Italy a few times, I’ve not been to Sicily before and aside from Mount Etna, haven’t got any idea of what to go and visit - any recommendations would be gratefully received. Cheers.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

In that area you are pretty close to Etna and Taormina, both are well worth a visit.

Taormina, you park down the bottom and get the cable car up - ancient town, high up, amphitheatre, stunning views etc

Sicily is a big old island, but if you have a car and the inclination, a trip to Agrigento and the valley of the temples is well worth it. We did it late afternoon/evening and walked down at sunset, it was stunning. It's maybe a couple of hours drive from where you are. It's not actually a valley but on a long ridge running down towards the sea.

It gets busy and what we did was park at the lower end, get a taxi up to the top (there's an endless supply) - then walk all the way back down. Its a fair old walk. There's parking at the top end too.

The coast near there is pretty spectacular too, Realmonte is very different, quite stunning.

Then there are other places like Erice in the North West, beyond Palermo. Another mountain top, ancient town with stunning views. Well worth a visit but about as far as you can go on the island from where you are staying

The coast line along the north has some good beaches and you can get boat trips out to the Aeolian islands from there - it's the one thing we regret not having time to do when we went, so we are due another trip...

I've probably just scratched the surface there, and when we go back we will take in a boat trip and explore the south eastern part. There was an episode of that program Great Train Journeys that covered a rail journey down that way that then loops round then runs up to Etna, and that looks worth taking in.

We are still looking at where to go in June - Jubilee celebration avoidance - so may still end up over there ourselves

One thing we did notice that wasn't great was big piles of rubbish outside some of the towns... we were informed it was due to a mix of councils and corruption, not sure if that's true but corruption, Sicily.. who'd have thought it ?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

That’s brilliant Billy, thanks very much.

You’ve saved me a load of time hunting for things to do - as there is plenty on your list that look like things we’d enjoy and it’s clear that you had an excellent time there.

Cheers - Pablo :newthumb:
Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt »

pablo jaye wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:40 pm That’s brilliant Billy, thanks very much.

You’ve saved me a load of time hunting for things to do - as there is plenty on your list that look like things we’d enjoy and it’s clear that you had an excellent time there.

Cheers - Pablo :newthumb:
No problem, hope you have a great time

If you find anything else to do over there let me know as we will head back, if not this year then next
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:15 am Aaaaand the wife’s tested positive this morning, too. Shouldn’t be too big of an issue though as we don’t need a test result from her, as she’s fully vaccinated. Just need to lie on the paperwork…
Arrived yesterday. Smooth 560 mile drive with no traffic or incidents. Lunch today was duck & port pate, fantastic bread, pink wine and 5 cheeses.

I ****ing love France.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Nice one mucker.

Have a good one.

:newthumb:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

We're off to France for two weeks just after Easter in our motorhome. First we're doing two nights at Ypres then heading south, a tentative plan to head East of Paris towards the Massif Central (as a West Ham fan where else would you go? :smiler: ), then circle back to the West of Paris to the tunnel. But a lot depends on the weather and what we fancy doing, if we find somewhere we love we may just stay put.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Just booked to go to Crete next year.

I've missed Greece.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

S-H wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:08 pm Just booked to go to Crete next year.

I've missed Greece.
I have been to Spain about 50 times but never been to anywhere in Greece

I would really like to try it out I next few years has anyone got recommendations of best places to go please
S-H

Post by S-H »

Any of the small Islands, I'd recommend.

We've been to quite a few, but we personally love Crete, followed closely by Rhodes.

Wherever you choose, you can't go too far wrong, Greek food is sublime.

You definitely get more for you money for a packaged holiday, compared to Spain, the standard of hotels etc is much nicer, in my opinion.

Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt »

ageing hammer wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:12 pm I have been to Spain about 50 times but never been to anywhere in Greece

I would really like to try it out I next few years has anyone got recommendations of best places to go please
I've done a fair few Spanish islands, not the mainland, and a fair number of Greek Islands too. Greece wins for me

I've done a few Greek Islands, some I'd go back, some not, but it's another vote for Crete here and pre-pandemic we went two or three times per year - just once a year the past two years.

The people, the food, the scenery, the history, the beaches, the mountains, the lifestyle, the traditions and the villages are all wonderful. It's a big island so there's a heap of choices.

Given you are, ahem, "ageing" I'd avoid Malia and Hersonissos - but even they are trying to dilute the reputation they used to have.

Avoid the all-inclusives too and get out to some of the local places - that goes for any Greek island

We are back there in September and may still go in June - else its Sicily (which is also great and not dissimilar to Crete in many ways)
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Regarding the all inclusive deals, if you have a couple of teenage kids in tow it is quite good, as they are able to feed themselves the various snacks without bothering us too much. But definitely would give it a miss if it was just me and the misses
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

S-H wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:08 pm Just booked to go to Crete next year.

I've missed Greece.
I thought I had too S-H , hot sun, warm seas and cold beers.
Up until Covid we've been to Greece once or usually twice every year for about 20 years and although it's often a struggle to get out of the house when we get there it's bloody great but I'm struggling to get back in the holiday 'groove' so to speak and I'm not sure when I'll be bothering again.
Been looking at flights this past few days , encouraged by Her OFTness, but can't pull the trigger somehow.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Completely understand OFT, we've been the same, I paid a deposit on a holiday late 2019 for summer 2020, obviously that was cancelled, so we rebooked for 2021, when it came to it we didn't feel comfortable travelling last year, so re booked for this year, then nipper came along so we decided to push it back another year.

Why not put a deposit down for summer 2023, if you still don't fancy it, the closer it gets, then push your deposit back to the following summer..

It's nice to have something to look forward to.

:thup:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

ageing hammer wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:12 pm I have been to Spain about 50 times but never been to anywhere in Greece

As said by the other guys, Crete and Rhodes are recommended. I would avoid Santorini, good for a day trip but not much to do for a week and it gets far too busy. We also liked Kos and Mykonos.

If you go to Rhodes then catch the local ferry to Symi - a lovely little place for a potter. Next time we go to Rhodes we're aiming to stay on Symi for a couple of nights.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

We were looking at Rhodes for next year. Had been to Kefalonia a couple of times but only in a villa.

As it would just be the four of us, an all inclusive seemed the more stress free option.

Fortunately, the in-laws ended up wanting to holiday with us so paid for Mexico for August next year. Quite a wait, but it's free so is saving us a small fortune!

Gone for a much smaller hotel to the other times we've been to Mexico, some were like small towns.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:16 pm We were looking at Rhodes for next year. Had been to Kefalonia a couple of times but only in a villa.

As it would just be the four of us, an all inclusive seemed the more stress free option.

Fortunately, the in-laws ended up wanting to holiday with us so paid for Mexico for August next year. Quite a wait, but it's free so is saving us a small fortune!

Gone for a much smaller hotel to the other times we've been to Mexico, some were like small towns.
Where abouts are you going, Chelmsford?
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Shabu wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:26 pm Where abouts are you going, Chelmsford?
Not much of a holiday ;)