Summer Holidays

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammer it home
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by hammer it home »

Just returned from a week at a friends farmhouse down near Poitiers in France.
Beautiful surrounding hamlets/villages and beach lakes - which the kids loved. Fantastic weather and even better wine.

The only blot on the trip was the long queues and just pure inefficient way that our border operates via the Eurotunnel. Although, I dare moan too much, as I know those that have (tried too) fly have found out...

9 weeks until we are back out to France again...counting...
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Malaga for three nights next month. If it gets cancelled then what can I do? There’s bigger things to worry about.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

Has anyone been to Chiapas or Tabasco in southern Mexico?

Been looking at places there & it looks incredible. Loads of ancient ruins & temples plus gorgeous beaches along with some lovely Spanish colonial towns. Plus rainforest & this stunning canyon...

I heard it can be a bit bandit country down there but that just adds to the fun, doesn't it.

IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

Can anyone tell me the best way to get from Rome to Sorrento, without a car (car rental just seems two expensive)?

Is a train via Naples the best way?

Thanks
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

IG8Hammer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:00 pm Can anyone tell me the best way to get from Rome to Sorrento, without a car (car rental just seems two expensive)?

Thanks
This might help...

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Rome/Sorrento
BondsOfOslo

Post by BondsOfOslo »

I don't know if this is the right tread to post this, but I try

We are 6 grown up boys ( around the 60's ) who are planning for a boys weekend in mid September in Brighton.
Staying from Thursday until Sunday.

( It's convenient to go to Brighton coming over from Oslo. Gatwick first and then train down to the Brighton. )

Have any of you any suggestions of what to do during a weekend here ? Things to do or places to see. ( I can hope for an away game for the Irons at this weekend of course ) I went to Brighton in '72&73 and have been back a few times later and I like it there.

Any suggestions ?
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:47 am This might help...

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Rome/Sorrento
Cheers :newthumb:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

IG8Hammer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:00 pm Can anyone tell me the best way to get from Rome to Sorrento, without a car (car rental just seems two expensive)?

Thanks
I did it in reverse a couple of years ago, there's a super fast train from Rome to Naples then a bus to Sorrento
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Thanks
This site is pretty helpful

https://www.seat61.com/index-mobile.htm

If there are trains running then Italian trains are great, have travelled on a few in the past. One thing we did last time (2019) was upgrade to first class, it cost about €3 per ticket and got a better seat and complimentary refreshments.
matthewbd
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by matthewbd »

Booked a 9 night cruise yesterday for August - 53 days to go - cannot wait!
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Thanks
There is a direct train from Naples to Sorrento via Pompeii, was on it a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully the signs and announcements are better from the Naples Central station than the station I got on in the suburbs where it was a complete guess as to which train went where - we let a few go by before taking a punt (and getting on the wrong train).
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Thanks
Without a doubt. I've done that myself, takes about an hour and a half by train from Rome to Naples. I would recommend spending time in Naples, a dump of a city, full of Greco/ Roman influence, but the people there are very friendly and you won't find a single one who doesn't like football, or at least, I didn't. I travelled on a local train out of Naples station to watch a match between Napoli and Salernitana and was in a carriage amongst a whole load of very noisy, excited Napoli fans, all of whom, spoke very good English, they were polite, friendly and nearly all if them, young men in their 20's and guess what? West Ham seemed to be their favorite English team Back on topic, make sure you take the boat trip over to Capri, visit Pompeii, a must and take a little train from Naples to Sorrento. Best way to do it
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Off to Barbados in September. A week of doing pretty much sod all.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Rio wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:51 am Off to Barbados in September. A week of doing pretty much sod all.
,,, and no better place than that to do it too
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Rio wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:51 am Off to Barbados in September. A week of doing pretty much sod all.
Get drunk at the Boatyard.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Thinking about going to Ireland over the summer and having a drive around, the west and north west coast. However, car hire is a whopping €2k for 10 days!!
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

pablo jaye wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:46 am Thinking about going to Ireland over the summer and having a drive around, the west and north west coast. However, car hire is a whopping €2k for 10 days!!
Thats mental! Must be cheaper to use trains, and taxis for the short trips?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

pablo jaye wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:46 am Thinking about going to Ireland over the summer and having a drive around, the west and north west coast. However, car hire is a whopping €2k for 10 days!!
Do you have to have a Ferrari though?
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Cheaper to take your own motor, Pablo, but don't do Swansea>Cork.. it's dire.
Fishguard >Rosslare, overnight (banging cafe for early breakfast when you get there) :newthumb:
Merv
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by Merv »

We took the overnight ferry from Rosslare to Pembroke in January with the idea of getting some sleep before driving the last leg… big mistake… never been so sick! If you’re travelling during the summer months I’d take the Dublin Swift from Holyhead with Irish Ferries instead - it’s only slightly more expensive and the crossing is over an hour faster than the other boats.

Normally costs about £500+ to take the car from memory, so it’s well worth it if you’re being quoted £2k for car hire.