Summer Holidays

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Jonah »

likemydreams wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:24 pm i think ill probably eat out most nights up in Hisaronu as the prices at the beach look high
Are you staying in Olu LMD? The prices aren't too bad on the strip (and the offshoot roads) walking down to the beach, the prices are slightly higher on the front you are right, but I find the whole area has a good mix. Haven't been since 2018 but I see there are lots of new beach bars opening and some newer hotels towards the back of the valley.

We're looking at going back in Sept. :newthumb:
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Phil S wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:22 pm Looks like I don't need to do the form...

In order to enter Spain, all passengers, regardless of the country of origin (except children under the age of 12 and passengers in international transit), must show one of these documents:

An EU DIGITAL COVID CERTIFICATE OR EU EQUIVALENT of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative certificate of an active infection diagnostic test or a recovery certificate after having this disease.
SpTH QR. If you do not have the EU Digital COVID Certificate or equivalent, you must complete the SpTH Health Control Form, manually entering the details of your vaccination, recovery or diagnostic test certificate.
I was in Spain last week and no form needed.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Off to Lisbon and Cascais on Saturday. I was hoping to meet up with Warp but he hasn't replied yet. Really disappointing. I was hoping his mum could give the six of us a piggy back instead of hiring cars.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

Jonah wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:41 pm Are you staying in Olu LMD? The prices aren't too bad on the strip (and the offshoot roads) walking down to the beach, the prices are slightly higher on the front you are right, but I find the whole area has a good mix. Haven't been since 2018 but I see there are lots of new beach bars opening and some newer hotels towards the back of the valley.

We're looking at going back in Sept. :newthumb:
yes im staying at sundia by liberty , thanks for the info mate :thup:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

We’re doing a week in the Isle of Wight,any suggestions?
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

Got an email from Easyjet :clown: today "Sorry - We've cancelled your flights" (flying next Thursday to Thessaloniki)

Cheers fucktards :clap: :thup:

Now off with Aunty Speedbird, slightly cheaper but return flight is different airport so calling on friends that live Gatwick way to pick us up.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Arnold Layne wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:58 pm We’re doing a week in the Isle of Wight,any suggestions?
Needles Cable Car Ride is a good crack...

Cowes is pretty cool......

Not really comfortable with it TBH... mixed feelings.....but The Tiger Sanctuary/Zoo in Sandown...great seeing the Tigers so close up.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Arnold Layne wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:58 pm We’re doing a week in the Isle of Wight,any suggestions?
No suggestions, but I love Isle of Wight. Need to return.

Not related to your post, but...

Just booked a few days in the land of Leeks, Daffodils and Sheep after the bank holiday weekend. I usually do Brecon Beacons, but going for something different this time - staying walking distance from Cardiff Bay, and going to do the touristy thing in the city.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Jonah wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:47 pm Got an email from Easyjet :clown: today "Sorry - We've cancelled your flights" (flying next Thursday to Thessaloniki)

Now off with Aunty Speedbird, slightly cheaper but return flight is different airport so calling on friends that live Gatwick way to pick us up.
I hate stuff like this. The problems that things like this cause people when it is so close to departure is ridiculous. I had my flights switched to Heathrow from Gatwick last year, which was bad enough.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Jonah wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:47 pm Got an email from Easyjet :clown: today "Sorry - We've cancelled your flights" (flying next Thursday to Thessaloniki)

Worth knowing:

OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

Against all my instincts I booked our hols just a few days ago, I've said before that as I've got in a rut with holidays, aided and abetted as all of us by Covid, but if I'm honest, lock down suited me just fine.

Her OFTness is in 'lets live life to the max' mode and I'm in 'can't be arsed to do anything' mode. Still, she likes a trip to Athens and a ride out to one or other of the islands so, and bearing in mind, I've got my eye on a new record player, apart from being a fantastic hubby, :arry: I looked at flights out of Manchester and have booked for a week towards the end of June. Cheap enough flights, we travel mega light so no bag drop/check in nonsense and early morning flight so no queues we hope.
I'd still rather stop at home mind.
EastHam56
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by EastHam56 »

I see all of this chaos is down to pure greed on behalf of the airports and airlines ( also endemic across many sectores ) . They were happy to take the furlough money and then get rid of staff , but as soon as travel opens up they seem to be selling at full capacity without any thought as to how they are going to provide the service . This total lack of foresight seems typical of the country now , only looking 5 minutes ahead and no further .
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

More than 1,000 passengers missed their flights at Dublin Airport due to lengthy queues yesterday,

Some had come 4 hours early and still missed the flights.

One story was a couple got to the gate with 5 mins to spare before departure along with 30 other passengers, the jobsworth would not let them get on saying it's too late.

Then all the 30 passengers checked in luggage had to be removed from the plane taking half an hour!

They got their luggage back and then were told there is another flight but sent them out the exit and made them join the back of the queue again and they missed that too. :furrow:

They can't employ enough staff because they are paying LESS than pre pandemic money and all shift work and ridiculous hours etc...

You couldn't make this stuff up.
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

ageing hammer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:46 pm

One story was a couple got to the gate with 5 mins to spare before departure along with 30 other passengers, the jobsworth would not let them get on saying it's too late.

Then all the 30 passengers checked in luggage had to be removed from the plane taking half an hour!

They got their luggage back and then were told there is another flight but sent them out the exit and made them join the back of the queue again and they missed that too. :furrow:

You couldn't make this stuff up.
Blimey, that'd test the patience of a saint
Bonkers .
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

EastHam56 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:23 am I see all of this chaos is down to pure greed on behalf of the airports and airlines ( also endemic across many sectores ) . They were happy to take the furlough money and then get rid of staff , but as soon as travel opens up they seem to be selling at full capacity without any thought as to how they are going to provide the service . This total lack of foresight seems typical of the country now , only looking 5 minutes ahead and no further .
Yep you are right. They dumped experienced people who then decided to change career paths over being completely disrespected by their bosses. I've been lucky with air travel this year but it wouldn't take too much to tip it into chaos. It's about time we got back to a job for life ethic
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Yarmouth for a wander, Alum Chine, Compton Bay, Crazy Golf at Sandown
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

The airport chaos is random too - we flew out to Sicily yesterday from Gatwick and having read about the problems got up at silly o’clock to get there in plenty of time …. and sailed through so guess we were lucky.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

If this travel chaos and flight cancellations carries on, then we could see staycations becoming the safer option.
I suspect we may then see staffing levels exposed within the UK holiday sector.

It's not a particularly attractive industry to work within I suspect.
Peoples moods can swing very quickly when delays and cancellations happen at Airports
I wouldn't want to deal with an upset holiday maker
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:47 am If this travel chaos and flight cancellations carries on, then we could see staycations becoming the safer option.
I suspect we may then see staffing levels exposed within the UK holiday sector.

It's not a particularly attractive industry to work within I suspect.
Peoples moods can swing very quickly when delays and cancellations happen at Airports
I wouldn't want to deal with an upset holiday maker
I think you will see going abroad return to being something that only the better off can afford. Jet fuel is increasingly expensive, employee costs will rise and people are facing a real income squeeze. People will still want to go abroad, holidays in this country are unreasonably expensive post-COVID and you cannot guarantee the weather.
EastHam56
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by EastHam56 »

EvilC , all part of the tory master plan to do away with holidays for the peasants , another brexit bonus