Summer Holidays

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Shabu »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:07 pm I am, I want a trip to our Texas office soon to meet my team and get drunk eating BBQ.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 593 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Lucky enough to have friends in the Rioja region of Spain (up North). A partly smart, partly derelict hill town called Ausejo. Was taken to Logrono for the Wine & Tapas thang though (his Mrs doesn't drink so she drove). Have never done the 'Tapas Bar' experience and it was brilliant. Mate's a bit of a 'connoisseur' ("Notes of oak, definitely from the south part of the hill where that tomcat goes for a piss" etc) but it was great trying the 'higher end' instead of my usual Blossom Hill piss back home. Love their version of black pudding (Marcello?) which is a bit more like haggis. The only bar in Ausejo is strictly locals, it's no tourist town, and it's funny how it fills up and gets raucous after Mass on Sunday. Thing is, he'd take me up to this bar about 10:30 am and start on beer. That first one in the morning makes you feel ecstatic, though the afternoon's a write-off. Beautiful scenery (though we didn't make the coast) and plenty of history.
Weirdest thing was groups of people in Ausejo have what they refer to as 'caves'. And they literally are, a 'gathering place' at the top which is extended underneath by caves hacked out of the rock waaay back in which they store wine. Was treated to a 1981 vintage, but you understand that 'vintage' doesn't necessarily mean 'good' (it was corked). I have been given a key to this cave meaning I can go there when I like now. It's some kind of 'status' thing as you aren't really 'anybody' in that small town unless you are a member of a 'cave'.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Booked a nice little house in Findochty , Morayshire - historic fishing village .

Touring Moray - Cullen , Lossiemouth , Macduff etc .

Bloody freezing today .
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

We arrived back from two weeks in Spain, just south of Alicante, late last night. Great break with our own pool, we've really missed foreign holidays in the sun. Biggest ballache was filling in the travel locator form on the gov website, which kept timing out and sometimes losing what had been entered.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 593 likes

Post by vietnammer »

/\ that form is a sod
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

vietnammer wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:44 pm /\ that form is a sod
Agree, it's a pain and takes an age to get it completed, eventually.

We just had a week + in Crete, extended our stay by a day to take advantage of the travel changes that kicked in yesterday. Just the one lot of tests needed (not 3), no quarantine, no early exit test fee, no brainer
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

vietnammer wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:44 pm /\ that form is a sod
One of the annoying things is that you can't fill it in until two days before you travel to the UK, so can't complete details in advance and then just add test details later. I took a laptop on holiday but it must be a real ballache trying to do it on a phone.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Booking a week in Anglesey/Snowdon in a couple of weeks. Looking to visit a few places - Portmerrion, Snowdon, Abersoch and Barmouth on the shortlist … any others? Cheers.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

pablo jaye wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:33 am Booking a week in Anglesey/Snowdon in a couple of weeks. Looking to visit a few places - Portmerrion, Snowdon, Abersoch and Barmouth on the shortlist … any others? Cheers.
Stunning area that, enjoy.

I've not been for many a year but it's a sightseers paradise - loads of history, loads of castles (Caernarfon, Harlech, Conway to name a few), Ffestioniog railway and the slate mines, betws y coed, Swallow falls
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

As I’ve got older I’ve started to enjoy going abroad a lot less. I feel the build up is always better than the actual holiday. Not sure If I’m becoming an old miserable b*stard in my 20’s but I always feel a bit meh about the holiday when I get home.

I genuinely think I’d prefer going to Cornwall or somewhere like that. Does anyone else get this/feel like this?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

BigFatSam wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:23 pm As I’ve got older I’ve started to enjoy going abroad a lot less. I feel the build up is always better than the actual holiday. Not sure If I’m becoming an old miserable b*stard in my 20’s but I always feel a bit meh about the holiday when I get home.

I genuinely think I’d prefer going to Cornwall or somewhere like that. Does anyone else get this/feel like this?
Going anywhere is brilliant to me. If I haven't been there & I get to experience something new, I'm happy.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

BigFatSam wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:23 pm As I’ve got older I’ve started to enjoy going abroad a lot less. I feel the build up is always better than the actual holiday. Not sure If I’m becoming an old miserable b*stard in my 20’s but I always feel a bit meh about the holiday when I get home.

I prefer it now to when I was younger. With work being such a treadmill I love the simplicity of being somewhere warm, with the pool or beach and maybe the odd day out to a water park for the kids or whatever making for limited options, which mean most days are relatively simple and relaxing.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

EvilC wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:25 pm I prefer it now to when I was younger. With work being such a treadmill I love the simplicity of being somewhere warm, with the pool or beach and maybe the odd day out to a water park for the kids or whatever making for limited options, which mean most days are relatively simple and relaxing.
I think this is my issue. I’m looking for relaxing holidays but I never seem to have one!
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

pablo jaye wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:33 am Booking a week in Anglesey/Snowdon in a couple of weeks. Looking to visit a few places - Portmerrion, Snowdon, Abersoch and Barmouth on the shortlist … any others? Cheers.
If you're contemplating climbing Snowden then consider Cadair Idris as well/ instead. Wales's second highest mountain and more interesting imho than Snowden. Certainly less busy and a lovely pub called the Cross Foxes a ten minute drive or so from the foot of it. Mind, the cafe at the start of the Llanberis path route up Snowden does the best bara brith, a lovely cake - ToMOS might wax loquacious about it if he sees this.

You may well have heard of zip world or already be planning to go there. I'm not great with heights but had to do this when we went there a couple of years back. Glad I did. A taste ...

Don't know if you're a walker Pablo but a word of warning re Barmouth. The famous Barmouth viaduct that takes you across the estuary can't be used until December which is a shame as the walk to/ from Dolgellau is stunning. I know this as Mrs Dave and I went to walk to Barmouth from Dolgellau last weekend only to find a mile into the walk that the bridge was down. :nonpl:
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Shabu wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:25 pm Image
Not far off.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

BigFatSam wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:41 pm I think this is my issue. I’m looking for relaxing holidays but I never seem to have one!
I recommend going alone.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Can't beat being abroad, in the sun, for your holidays, eating lovely food, sipping cold beers, and cocktails, it's the travelling part that I dislike.

Although, airport beers always go down well, whatever the time of day..
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Billy Hunt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:10 am Stunning area that, enjoy.

I've not been for many a year but it's a sightseers paradise - loads of history, loads of castles (Caernarfon, Harlech, Conway to name a few), Ffestioniog railway and the slate mines, betws y coed, Swallow falls
Billy and Dave - thanks for your suggestions. I think we’ll squeeze a castle in and also Betws y Coed has been mentioned too. I like the look of Swallow Falls, and whilst not seasoned walkers (partly due to my back issues), the outdoors is a great place and we’ll do some more sedate routes.

To be honest, I think we’ll have to do do more than one trip up there, as there is so much to see!!
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Just booked another trip to Puerto Vallarta. Flight is $11 there & $17 back :lol:

Going for Mexican Independence Day
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I might do a week in Malaga next summer. There’s Airbnb apartments near the beaches and tapas everywhere.

Ideally it’d be the World Cup in Qatar but it’s winter and I don’t fancy it.