Summer Holidays

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by kenthammer »

Done Paphos at Easter for sons wedding then going back in September to just chill out with the mrs
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

kenthammer wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:47 pm Done Paphos at Easter for sons wedding then going back in September to just chill out with the mrs
It was Easter when we were out there (mu just got back was not 'just' 😂)

Was certainly a bit chilly.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

New passports arrived yesterday. Only took two weeks from them receiving the documents to us getting them. :scarfer:
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Just got back from a week in Sicily. Landed in Trapani and drove to Agrigento to see the Valley of the Temples. We then travelled to Modello and stayed for 2 days, going to the quiet beach and ate seafood and then driving to nearby Palermo for a stroll through the city, visiting many bars in the process and dined in a posh restuarant for something which was not seafood for once. The weather was forecast to be sketchy all over but better on the Eastern side of the island for the period after, so we took the opportunity to use up a day forecast to be wet everywhere to travel to the East side near Mount Etna and towards Naxos and Taormina which is a beautiful town.

The weather was overcast to begin which was better than the thunderstoms which never reached us on thanks to our strategic travelling with but then turned warm for the last 3 days. Only 21 degrees max but the sun was strong. All we ate were cakes for breakfast with granitas and gelato for lunch and mainly seafood for dinner apart from the final day when we had pizza and pasta.

I am now in love with Italy and would love to return to see more of Sicily but also mainland Italy and Sardinia too which I'm told is stunning. If I was able to spend several weeks in Italy it would mean I would get to enjoy the country at a more leisurely pace which is most probably how it should be experienced, in my opinion.
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:05 pm If I was able to spend several weeks in Italy it would mean I would get to enjoy the country at a more leisurely pace which is most probably how it should be experienced, in my opinion.
We're going to plan it out fully and go in September rather than rush it for June* - thanks iLL, Billy and the 'PJ tips'

*Got Santorini and Prague booked before Crete in the mid of June.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Jonah wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:30 pm We're going to plan it out fully and go in September rather than rush it for June* - thanks iLL, Billy and the 'PJ tips'

*Got Santorini and Prague booked before Crete in the mid of June.
We're in Sicily in September. Meet about 8 for prinks, yeah?
Monkeybubbles
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

BTW, we had a week in a little village between Braga and Guimaraes a couple of weeks ago. Both places are properly delightful. Guimaraes just about shades it, the medieval centre is fascinating, but the Braga stadium is awesome.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:05 pmI am now in love with Italy and would love to return to see more of Sicily but also mainland Italy and Sardinia too which I'm told is stunning. If I was able to spend several weeks in Italy it would mean I would get to enjoy the country at a more leisurely pace which is most probably how it should be experienced, in my opinion.
Did you have lasagne? How was it? 😉

Probably my favourite country to go on holiday to - don’t think I’ve had a duff day there at all. The food, drink, sights, history, countryside and weather are all stunning.

I could live in Rome for all the above reasons!! Tuscany - Lucca, Sienna and Florence are set in stunning countryside, whilst the lakes up north are more mountainous - Lake Lugano and Lake Como. Venice, Verona and Bologna are great cities - Venice can get busy but the sights and food far outweigh that.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced week end in Paris for me and my gal ?
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

irving boleyn wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:36 pm Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced week end in Paris for me and my gal ?
I'd opt for the Saturday and Sunday the 16th & 17th of September if you're going to fly.

3rd & 4th of November is good value for Dover to Calais if you're taking a car.

You're welcome.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

pablo jaye wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:26 am Did you have lasagne? How was it? 😉

Probably my favourite country to go on holiday to - don’t think I’ve had a duff day there at all. The food, drink, sights, history, countryside and weather are all stunning.

I could live in Rome for all the above reasons!! Tuscany - Lucca, Sienna and Florence are set in stunning countryside, whilst the lakes up north are more mountainous - Lake Lugano and Lake Como. Venice, Verona and Bologna are great cities - Venice can get busy but the sights and food far outweigh that.
I didn't think of Lasagne at all :grin:
The weather has been atrocious since we left. Non-stop downpours and flooding in parts all over Italy. I have heard from my Italian friend that Sardinia is most beautiful with outstanding coastal scenery.

Naples is the only place where it seems a bit sketchy. But perhaps someone else can corroborate. But I watched a documentary on Amazon (I think it was called Baby Boss?) saying that the mafia troubles around there are out of control compared to the rest of Italy. FWIW, everyone I know who has ever visited Italy has loved it, except some of my relatives who are more at home in an all-inclusive resort who just said 'everything is quite old innit'.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Five weeks and counting..

Can't come soon enough.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

This may seem odd but I've just wangled tickets for the Remenham club on the Saturday of Henley Royal Regatta and I absolutely can't wait.
A whole day drinking pints of Pimm's, watching the occasional race and admiring the posh eye-candy in the (possible) English summer sun.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:02 pm This may seem odd but I've just wangled tickets for the Remenham club on the Saturday of Henley Royal Regatta and I absolutely can't wait.
A whole day drinking pints of Pimm's, watching the occasional race and admiring the posh eye-candy in the (possible) English summer sun.
I've done hospitality down there …. Great day out but its full of twats.

I know its part of the quintessential English summer and is steeped in tradition but f*** me its so elitist. Its like the world cup of Rowing, not much of a spectator sport though I enjoyed watching a couple of the crews sink.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

The Sherriff wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:12 am I've done hospitality down there …. Great day out but its full of twats.

I know its part of the quintessential English summer and is steeped in tradition but **** me its so elitist. Its like the world cup of Rowing, not much of a spectator sport though I enjoyed watching a couple of the crews sink.
At the Remenham Club or one of the posher enclosures?
I use to row (for Staines) and we were the least "elitist" club on that stretch of the Thames: We had all sorts: brickies, mechanics, nurses, plod, company directors.

The public school crowd (Eton, Radleigh etc.) are spectacularly arrogant twats, but I'm going to catch up with old crewmates I haven't seen for 20+ years, so sod'em. They aren't going to spoil it for me. Yep, it's not a spectator sport. At all. :smiler:
ageing hammer
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Family are going to New York in August for my daughter’s 30th.

Any tips for nice reasonably priced restaurants please but not michellin rated dickied up food 😀
S-H

Post by S-H »

Just picked up a pair of these swim shorts for the holiday.

:D :hamm:

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I have my favourite hotel booked in Malaga for late July. Long weekend.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Three days!!

:scarfer:
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Booked for a 4 night long weekend camping trip to Throop in Dorset with some of the band. All August bank holiday weekend which includes my birthday. This might get a bit messy but really can't wait :grin: