West Ham Utd 2-1 West Bromwich Albion (19/01/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: Match Thread - West Ham v West Brom - Tues 19/1

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

BondsoBob wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:26 am This is going to be just like the Burnley game. Another dour 1-0 affair.
Give me another 20 of those please :thup:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Graza wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:00 am Not really sure we created all that much. Ogbonna hit the post and Bowen should have done better with his 1 on 1.
Well that is 3-0 for a start... Yarmolenko and Lanzini both had good chances wasted too.
You can't waste chances at this level as you don't get that many in most games.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2571 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

BondsoBob wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:26 am This is going to be just like the Burnley game. Another dour 1-0 affair.
I honestly don't think it will be.
Estuary
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v West Bromwich Albion: match thread

Post by Estuary »

dodger wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:34 am Don’t wanna get too deep into this here, but Big Sam was a poor day of Blackpool finishing away from being one of our shortest serving managers. He did a decent job for two years, but the last two years, barring one briefly good start to the season, were dreadful. And looking back there was a lot of crap to endure even in the first two ‘good’ years.

Hope we stuff them on Tuesday. Don’t see it though, we rarely stuff anyone. Will settle for a comfy 2-0 West Ham instead.
If's, and's but's and maybes mate, we won, we didn't play well in the play off final, Blackpool were better for parts of the game but couldn't capitalize on that, when we had the chances we did because we had better players who, on the day made the difference. Taylors pass, Carlton's touch and control, for the first were to good for them. Nolan chasing the ball down into the corner, his flat cross, Carltons rushed, poor first touch, he then stretched every sinew to recover the ball, which luckily Vaz Te was lurking for, the rest is history. which belongs to the victor, which we and Sam were that day. That's football. I was there and even though we couldnt get going I never felt we would loose, even though what I saw was a team riding its luck a lot.
We maybe should have gone up automatically, but we had a flat spell of form so had to settle for the play offs, we then murdered Cardiff over two legs in a s one sided semi as I have ever seen.
My take on Sam is he is he inspires players more than he does supporters and has lived with Wengers damning words around his neck regardless of how his team play.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:08 pm I honestly don't think it will be.
I honestly don't think the Burnley game was dour.
Estuary
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Estuary »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:06 pm Well that is 3-0 for a start... Yarmolenko and Lanzini both had good chances wasted too.
You can't waste chances at this level as you don't get that many in most games.
Absolutely, Bowen missed two, Oggy two, Yamo and Lanzini, who with more clinical finishing see's us win that 4 or 5-0, and these were not half chances we missed either.
MilHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by MilHammer »

Don't really buy the notion that we play boring football under Moyes. Defensively minded, sure.

But last week, as Moyes insinuated, really came down to some poor decision-making from our attacking players. It's frustrating because all of our guys - Fornals, Benrahma, Bowen - have enough within them to be great, but have yet to unlock that final piece of their game.

Ultimately, it can't be avoided because we're not buying 100m players. Confidence and understanding will be the key to our attack. Still think Benrahma, Bowen, and Antonio with all the zip and directness they possess, can turn into a dangerous partnership. Getting a striker this window or next who compliments our attacking mid players is also critical.
SA_Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by SA_Hammer »

I watched the WBA/Wolves game on the weekend and one thing that stood out is that they CANNOT defend set pieces into the box. So if we get any freekicks or corners in around the box, then Dawson, Oggy and Tommy should have a field day

3-0
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Their line up from Saturday:

David Button
Dara O'Shea
Semi Ajayi
Kyle Bartley
Kieran Gibbs
Jake Livermore
Romaine Sawyers
Robert Snodgrass
Fellipe Matheus Pereira
Kamil Grosicki
Callum Robinson

Substitutes
Darnell Furlong
(s 82')
Hal Robson-Kanu
(s 69')
Filip Krovinovic
Branislav Ivanovic
Kyle Edwards
Lee Peltier
Cedric Kipre
Sam Field
Andy Lonergan
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:11 pm I honestly don't think the Burnley game was dour.
It wasn't.

On another day Ogbonna's header goes in and both Bowen & Yarmolenko score their one-on-ones and we win 4-0. Would anyone call a 4-0 'dour'?

I've been one of the bigger critics of Moyes's brand of football on this site but I will defend him for the Burnley game as it wasn't bad at all.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I've seen it mentioned on here a couple of times but I'm also worried about Antonio. Is his body ready for another 90 minutes?
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:31 pm Their line up from Saturday:
Screams Championship to me. Again, very arrogant to say as much, but they have the kind of team we have moved on from.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:32 pm I've seen it mentioned on here a couple of times but I'm also worried about Antonio. Is his body ready for another 90 minutes?
Get 3-0 up by half time and he won't need to be.
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

Antonio needs to start and we need to see if we can get a decent enough lead to either bring the young kid on or, dare I say, try Yarmolenko through the middle for 30-45 minutes.

Then the youngster needs to start up top against Doncaster. if he can't lead the line against a League One side then he absolutely isn't ready for Premier League football in any form.
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

WBA are a very poor side with a very poor defence. Big Sam will have them well drilled, but if we turn up and play 'reasonably' well we should win this. To not score at least 2 goals and/or to let in 2 goals will be very disappointing.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Graza wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:00 am Not really sure we created all that much. Ogbonna hit the post and Bowen should have done better with his 1 on 1. Beyond that we didn't have any real teeth.
I think this is a bit revisionary to be honest we had lots of chances:

1. Antonio's goal.
2. Ogbonna hits post.
3. Antonio header off the line.
4. Fornals shot blocked a yard or two off the line which was going in.
5. Yarmolenko inexcusably refusing to pass to Antonio who could have passed in to the net.
6. Bowen missed 1 on 1 after a great first touch.
7. Bowen takes far too long in the box when clean through and decides to get inside but gets tackled.
8. Lanzini right at the death is 18 yards out centre of goal with lots of time and blasts over.
9. Rice's free kick was quite close.

Now don't get me wrong we weren't exactly free flowing, but the only reason Pope didn't have to make lots of saves was because of the wastefulness/indecision of Bowen, Yarmolenko and Lanzini, whilst twice his defenders did the job for him.

We really should have won that game 3-0 (Bowen scoring 1 and Yarmolenko not being a selfish twat), still hit the post, had two certain goals cleared off the line and completely missed the target twice when effectively clean through (Bowen & Lanzini).

As for the West Brom game, they looked uncharacteristically awful at defending set plays for an Allardyce team against Wolves. We should be targetting this area of the game (as we usually do) and ensuring we retain the pace in our team selection from an attacking perspective. West Brom are a poor team and we really should be beating them.
Last edited by stu1 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:40 pm Screams Championship to me. Again, very arrogant to say as much, but they have the kind of team we have moved on from.
Agreed - I frankly find the prospect of them winning two on the bounce a shade unlikely, too.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2705 likes

Post by sendô »

SA_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:23 pm I watched the WBA/Wolves game on the weekend and one thing that stood out is that they CANNOT defend set pieces into the box. So if we get any freekicks or corners in around the box, then Dawson, Oggy and Tommy should have a field day

3-0
I'll be lumping some money on our big lads getting in amongst the goals then, cheers. :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2705 likes

Post by sendô »

Just realised that this is a 6pm kick off, when I will be travelling home from work. Headbanger

Why why why?
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:00 pm Just realised that this is a 6pm kick off, when I will be travelling home from work. Headbanger

Why why why?
Feels like a "Covid symptoms" type of day for you tomorrow.